The Cricket in Times Square by George Selden

The Cricket in Times Square (1960)

by George Selden

Other authors: Garth Williams (Illustrator)

Series: Chester Cricket and Friends (1)

5,145611,310 (4)57
    Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (cmbohn)
    Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard Atwater (cmbohn)
    The Old Meadow by George Selden (editfish)
    editfish: This book is a sequel to 'A Cricket in Times Square'. Don't read any of the other 'Chester' or 'Harry' books until you've first read that one!
    Chester Cricket's New Home by George Selden (editfish)

Chester Cricket from Connecticut inadvertently ends up getting on a train to New York City and is deposited in the Times Square subway station. There he becomes the pet of Mario, the son of Italian-American newspaper stand owners, and Chester soon develops a friendship with Tucker Mouse and Harry Cat, who also live in the subway station. In addition to his sweet disposition, Chester wins hearts with the beautiful music he makes with his wings.

This book is line with other classics like Charlotte's Web. As it was published in the early 1960s, it definitely shows its age with dated references and some less-than-stellar representations of diversity. However, the overall themes of friendship and doing right by others help tip the scales in favor of this book. I've read it before, but this time I listened to the audiobook read aloud by Tony Shalhoub, who was absolutely fabulous at bringing the characters to life. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | May 9, 2019 |
A simple, charming story. Chester Cricket after becoming trapped beneath roast beef sandwiches in a picnic basket finds himself stranded in the station below Times Square. This is where Mario Belini, a struggling newspaper vendor's son, finds and adopts him. Out of gratitude and after an unfortunate string of events, Chester decides to help the Belinis somehow.

This was, if not a favorite, a well-liked story from my childhood. Chester, Tucker Mouse, and Harry Cat are a great trio and Garth Williams' illustrations are just as wonderful today as they ever were. I don't have much to say about this one, but it was good to revisit. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
One of my all-time favorites...the pictures are some of the best, and goes far past the "oh look at the cute talking animals!" genre. ( )
  inescapableabby | Nov 28, 2018 |
I read this aloud to my daughters. They loved how the time of year in the book coincided perfectly with when we read it. Lena (9) had a bit of a hard time getting into this bc she had a book hangover from The Penderwicks, but she ended up enjoying it. I found it a tad boring, to be honest. ( )
  Aseleener | Mar 24, 2018 |
I do wish I had read this when I was a kid and not an old fuss budget - I was too distracted by the stereotyping and the dated scenario (kid working a newstand alone at night in Times Square) and most of all, the knowledge that a cricket life span is maybe a season long at most, and therefore Chester was doomed to die within moments of the story's end. That knowledge cast a pall over an otherwise charming tale I'll read to my great-niece, and recommend for children who demonstrate both blissful ignorance and a reasonably strong reading vocabulary. ( )
  Kim_Sasso | Mar 14, 2018 |

George Seldenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Auberjonois, RenéNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440415632, Paperback)

One night, the sounds of New York City--the rumbling of subway trains, thrumming of automobile tires, hooting of horns, howling of brakes, and the babbling of voices--is interrupted by a sound that even Tucker Mouse, a jaded inhabitant of Times Square, has never heard before. Mario, the son of Mama and Papa Bellini, proprietors of the subway-station newsstand, had only heard the sound once. What was this new, strangely musical chirping? None other than the mellifluous leg-rubbing of the somewhat disoriented Chester Cricket from Connecticut. Attracted by the irresistible smell of liverwurst, Chester had foolishly jumped into the picnic basket of some unsuspecting New Yorkers on a junket to the country. Despite the insect's wurst intentions, he ends up in a pile of dirt in Times Square.

Mario is elated to find Chester. He begs his parents to let him keep the shiny insect in the newsstand, assuring his bug-fearing mother that crickets are harmless, maybe even good luck. What ensues is an altogether captivating spin on the city mouse/country mouse story, as Chester adjusts to the bustle of the big city. Despite the cricket's comfortable matchbox bed (with Kleenex sheets); the fancy, seven-tiered pagoda cricket cage from Sai Fong's novelty shop; tasty mulberry leaves; the jolly company of Tucker Mouse and Harry Cat; and even his new-found fame as "the most famous musician in New York City," Chester begins to miss his peaceful life in the Connecticut countryside. The Cricket in Times Square--a Newbery Award runner-up in 1961--is charmingly illustrated by the well-loved Garth Williams, and the tiniest details of this elegantly spun, vividly told, surprisingly suspenseful tale will stick with children for years and years. Make sure this classic sits on the shelf of your favorite child, right next to The Wind in the Willows. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:37 -0400)

Tucker is a streetwise city mouse. He thought he'd seen it all. But he's never met a cricket before, which really isn't surprising, because, along with his friend Harry Cat, Tucker lives in the very heart of New York City-the Times Square subway station. Chester Cricket never intended to leave his Connecticut meadow. He'd be there still if he hadn't followed the entrancing aroma of liverwurst right into someone's picnic basket. Now, like any tourist in the city, he wants to look around. And he could not have found two better guides-and friends-than Tucker and Harry. But Chester has a hidden talent and no one, not even Chester himself, realizes that the little country cricket may just be able to teach even the toughest New Yorkers a thing or two.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,720,727 books! | Top bar: Always visible