March: Book Two

by John Lewis, Andrew Aydin, Nate Powell (Illustrator)

Series: March (2)

Comic and Graphic Books. History. African American Nonfiction. Young Adult Nonfiction. HTML:

After the success of the Nashville sit-in movement, John Lewis' commitment to change through nonviolence is stronger than ever ?? but as he and his fellow Freedom Riders board a bus into the vicious heart of the deep south, they will be tested like never before. Faced with beatings, police brutality, imprisonment, arson, and even murder, the movement's young activists place their lives on the line while internal conflicts threaten to tear them apart.But their courage will attract the notice of powerful allies, from Martin Luther King, Jr. to Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy... and once Lewis is elected chairman of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, this 23-year-old will be thrust into the national spotlight, becoming one of the "Big Six" leaders of the civil rights movement and a central figure in the landmark 1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom.… (more)

Baby steps towards educating myself about the Civil Rights movement.

Embarrassed that I don’t know more. ( )
  hmonkeyreads | Jan 25, 2024 |
Wow, the more I dive into these memoirs by John Lewis, the more I realize how little I know about the Civil Rights movement. The players. Just how much there was division even among those who wanted freedom and equal rights and desegregation.

John Lewis was quite the man. Truly his nonviolence stance makes me wonder how he would be with all of the current events/politics since 2009....... ( )
  msgabbythelibrarian | Jun 11, 2023 |
Graphic Novel Book Club, April 2017

I read all three volumes together for the last book club meeting and so all of these reviews are going to end up going together.

Like many people I felt the need to get this book into my hands and the hands of those reading with me as soon as our president decided to slander the wrong congressmen for not understanding how the world worked, or having done enough for it. What I didn't know going into this book, I feel is printed on my heart coming out of it.

I felt so deeply moved and charged by this book. I felt the use of gorgeous color covers of such wam colors but deeply rooted images and messages of the time worked amazingly against the stark, straight to the point black and white of the interior pages. I love the inclusion of it being a story to children, and a leadup to the meeting with Obama, and how it ended with the idea for making these books.

The story between the beginning and ending frames is one to break the heart and make the soul of America, marked in blood and bloodied courage. I felt weak, ashamed, proud, angry, and sorrowful in so many different places. I felt so glad that these books had sold out twice on Amazon from so many people wanting to educate themselves, and I feel like I've been changed in ways beyond words for adding it to my/our ongoing and current fight. ( )
  wanderlustlover | Dec 26, 2022 |
Volume 2 was as moving and as powerful as the first volume. I highly recommend these graphic novels. ( )
  Harks | Dec 17, 2022 |
I want to learn more about Bayard Rustin. He was considered a "strategic liability" to the movement because he was gay, but he organized the March on Washington anyway. ( )
  Chris.Wolak | Oct 13, 2022 |

March (2)

Is contained in

Dedicated to the memory of John Siegenthaler

July 27th, 1927-July 11th, 2014
Brother John--good to see you.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,563,826 books! | Top bar: Always visible