The Ice Twins by S. K. Tremayne

The Ice Twins (2015)

by S. K. Tremayne

English (47)  Dutch (4)  Finnish (1)  All languages (52)
The Ice Twins by S. K. Tremayne is a psychological thriller with a strong sense of place and that includes both a mystery and a touch of a ghost story. I wasn’t very enthralled by this story, finding nothing new here to hold my attention.

Moving to a small island off the coast of Scotland seemed to be a good way for the Moorcroft family to get a fresh start and continue to recover from the death of one of their twin daughters. But when their surviving daughter, Kristie, claims to actually be the other twin, Lydia, their world starts to disintegrate all over again. As her husband, Angus is forced to work away from the island, Sarah is left alone, feeling isolated and trying to cope with her increasingly disturbed daughter. As the surviving twin, Kristie, becomes more and more disturbed, it starts to appear as if she is possessed by her dead twin, Lydia. Or, could it possibly be that Lydia is alive and that it was Kristie that died.

My quibbles with The Ice Twin is one that I often have with stories of this nature. As with most thrillers the reader needs to accept a certain amount of implausibility in order for the story to work and I had some difficulty with that. Although this book wasn’t one that totally worked for me, many people have raved about this dark atmospheric story that revolves around a family broken by grief, loss and betrayal. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jul 14, 2018 |
Angus and Sarah Moorcroft have suffered a tragic loss. One of their daughters, a twin died tragically. To start a fresh they move to a Scottish island, Eileen Torran. Things don't go as planned.

I loved this book. I have read it in two sittings and couldn't turn the pages quick enough.

Angus and Sarah are a couple with problems. Following them around as narrated mostly by Sarah, I couldn't help but feel for them. Their life is hard and living on an island with not many basic ammenities does not help. When their surviving daughter Kirstie claims that she really is Lydia their life turns upside down. As soon as Kirstie cliams she is really Lydia which is quite early on I was hooked. The story gets deeper and deeper, bleaker and bleaker just like the new life of the family.

There is two ways to read this book, either as a thriller or a ghost story. This is according to the author in the questions and answers at the end of the book. I read it as both but did read the latter part as a ghost story.

This book for me was just brilliant. It had a few twists and a satisfactory ending. A very solid read that just made me wanting more. ( )
  tina1969 | May 27, 2018 |
Listened to this on audio. The Scottish accents and all the confusing place names were difficult for me. I probably would have done better with print for this one. The story was interesting and did have me hooked. Without doing spoilers, all I can say is that at times I felt the author purposely mislead the reader unnecessarily. I really didn't like either Sarah or Angus much at all. They both made really stupid decisions. And Sarah drove me nuts with dragging things out at times. Another thing that really bothered me was grammar. "Me and Angus" was mentioned several times and it drove me crazy! No reason for that nonsense. ( )
  Aseleener | Mar 24, 2018 |
Hmm, an interesting concept that never quite gave me the chills that I was expecting and wanting. The twins connection was, as ever, intriguing but there were so many subplots and suppositions that I did become a little bemused by it all. I didn't feel much for either parent but Lydia and Kirstie had my whole-hearted attention and sympathy.
  jhullie | Mar 20, 2018 |
This is a truly intense psychological thriller; I was enthralled with the story from the beginning to the end and giving this book five stars was a very easy decision.

Angus and Sarah are trying really hard to pull their lives together and then having Kirstie claim that she is Lydia, that the daughter they thought had died was alive and vice-versa that is really making their life a hell in their new home and putting their already fragile marriage to the test.

What really happened the day their daughter died? They can't tell their daughter apart and the twins were wearing the same kind of clothing on the day one of them died.

This is a real page turner, never a dull moment and the ending of the book, well I was afraid that S.K. Tremayne wouldn't be able to write a satisfying ending, but he did. This is without one of the best thrillers I have ever read and I recommended it strongly to anyone that likes psychological thrillers.

On a side note: S.K. Tremayne was a woman, but it's Tom Knox, and he usually writes archaeological and religious thrillers. So, while I wait for S.K. Tremayne to publish a new book can I read Tom Knox's books and I love archaeological thrillers so it's a win-win.

I received this copy from the publisher through NetGalley in return for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
Een onbreekbare band
Een ondragelijke werkelijkheid
Voor mijn dochters
Onze stoelen staan precies twee meter uit elkaar.

ONE OF SARAH'S DAUGHTERS DIED.
BUT CAN SHE BE SURE WHICH ONE?

A year after one of their identical twin daughters, Lydia, dies in an accident, Angus and Sarah Moorcroft move to the tiny Scottish island Angus inherited from his grandmother, hoping to put together the pieces of their shattered lives. But when their surviving daughter, Kirstie, claims they have mistaken her identity — that she, in fact, is Lydia — their world comes crashing down once again.

As winter encroaches, Angus is forced to travel away from the island for work. Sarah is feeling isolated and Kirstie (or is it Lydia?) is growing more disturbed. When a violent storm leaves Sarah and her daughter stranded, Sarah finds herself tortured by the past — what really happened on that fateful day when one of her daughters died?

In the tradition of The Girl on the Train comes the UK bestseller THE ICE TWINS, a terrifying psychological thriller with a twisting plot worthy of Gillian Flynn

One of Sarah's daughters died. But can she be sure which one?

But when their surviving daughter, Kirstie, claims they have mistaken her identity--that she, in fact, is Lydia--their world comes crashing down once again.

Moving to a tiny Scottish island a year after one of their identical twin daughters, Lydia, dies in an accident, Angus and Sarah are shattered when their surviving daughter claims they have mistaken her identity and that she is actually the twin they believed dead.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,124,773 books! | Top bar: Always visible