The Wolf's Hour by Robert R. McCammon

The Wolf's Hour (1989)

by Robert R. McCammon

Series: Michael Gallatin (1)

Michael Gallatin--masterspy, romancer, and werewolf--bears an ancient curse that can rapidly transform him into an insatiably bloodthirsty carnivore, and this terrifying "other self" becomes America's only hope against Nazi brutality.
    Fiends of the Eastern Front by David Bishop (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: Both stories deal with supernatural characters in World War II
    The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan (MyriadBooks)

If you are fan of spy thrillers and horror you can't do much better than the story of Michael Gallatin, a Russian immigrant now working for British Intelligence as an agent, who just happens to be a werewolf. The novel takes place in the time leading up to WWII's D-Day with Gallatin attempting to find a way to prevent a German plot to derail the Allied invasion. In several chapters mixed throughout the book, we learn the riveting and heartbreaking story of how Gallatin became a werewolf.

I'm not a big paranormal fan and don't usually like stories about werewolves, with some exceptions. Gallatin is definitely an exception. I was completely immersed in this captivating story, which was filled with historical authenticity. McCammon is a master who knows how to keep you turning the pages.

I read this book for the first time when it was originally published in 1989 and have never forgotten it. With it's conversion to Kindle I couldn't resist the opportunity to own it once more. I realize how long it's been since I've read anything else by Robert McCammon and plan to correct that as soon as possible. I highly recommend adding this fascinating story to your book collection. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Aug 9, 2017 |
Werewolf vs. Nazis. Great combination. Had-edged with a good plot that pulls the reader along, just enough werewolf without the creature completely taking over the story, the flashbacks for the origin story are well-paced. You can only do Lon Chaney so long....when he becomes the wolf, he's no longer human and loses interest. This approach, especially with scumbag enemies is a nice alternative. ( )
  NickHowes | Feb 14, 2017 |
This is my favorite werewolf novel, with its sympathetic and sexy cursed hero before the sexy werewolf became a cliche. I would recommend this book to all fans of horror, not just giggly teens thinking danger is sexy.
  chibitika | Aug 29, 2016 |
It wasn't perfect but I couldn't stop listening. I was ready for it to end when it did but I mostly loved the whole book. ( )
  amcheri | Aug 22, 2016 |
Robert McCammon is such an amazing writer. Loved the Wolf’s Hour, a brilliant read. For me mixing horror, espionage, classic World War II, and adventure it is a win-win. Has that Brian Lumley Necroscope feel to it except with werewolves instead of Vampires. McCammon is such a vivid writer, he really sucks the reader into the atmosphere of the story I could almost smell the gun oil off of the weapons fired or the smell of pine in the forest when Michael was in his wolf form running through the woods. I really took my time reading this and savoring it, didn’t want it to end. I believe years later McCammon wrote a follow up to this, I got to find that! 5 Stars easily. ( )
  DChurch71 | May 9, 2014 |

Robert R. McCammonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morrill, RowenaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pezzini, FrancoContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staglianò, FloraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
La guerre continuait
The limited edition also contains the new novella:
The Room at the Bottom of the Stairs

First published in 1989, The Wolf's Hour remains one of Robert McCammon's most indelible creations. Ranging freely and with great authority through realms of history, folklore, and myth, it combines two seemingly disparate genres the World War II action thriller and the paranormal romance into a seamless, irresistible whole.

McCammon's hero is Michael Gallatin, embattled inhabitant of two different worlds. Born into the Russian aristocracy, but 'changed' and raised by a pack of werewolves, Michael's journey takes him from the wild regions of his native Russia to the battle-scarred landscapes of a world at war. Offering his unique talents to the Allied cause, Michael becomes a sort of secret weapon aimed at the destruction of Hitler and his 'Thousand Year Reich.' His adventures take him from the deserts of North Africa to the German-occupied countries of Western Europe. There, with the aid of a vivid assortment of friends, comrades, and lovers, he uncovers a horrific conspiracy known as 'Iron Fist,' which threatens to disrupt the Allies' long-planned invasion of Europe and to alter the very outcome of the war.

Both a scrupulously researched historical thriller and a brilliant re-imagining of the traditional werewolf tale, The Wolf's Hour offers pleasure, excitement, and illumination on virtually every page. Exotic, enthralling, and endlessly inventive, it is the work of a master storyteller in full command of his matchless narrative gifts.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,822,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible