The Mortdecai Trilogy by Kyril Bonfiglioli

The Mortdecai Trilogy

by Kyril Bonfiglioli

Black Butterfly by Mark Gatiss (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    The Devil in Amber by Mark Gatiss (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox by Barry Hughart (nessreader)
    nessreader: they share a cheerful and violent cynicism, ornate language, and are set in cultures that are based on literary genres rather than historical periods (chinoiserie for Hughart and Bertie Wooster goes pulp noir for Bonfiglioli) More importantly, I think they'd appeal to the same sense of humour.… (more)

If Bertie Wooster were a degenerate art dealer and Jeeves a taciturn thug . . . hilarious and biting. ( )
  HenryKrinkle | Jul 23, 2014 |
This is an omnibus containing three novels with the central character (and narrator) Charlie Mortdecai - an egotistical, boozy, sleazy, lazy, cowardly, amoral art dealer with his eye out for the main chance.

The first book ‘Don’t point that thing at me’ is a funny caper tale, with shady police officers, stolen paintings, dodgy cars, double/ triple/ quadruple crossing and a healthy dose of unreality. Towards the end, I wasn’t entirely sure what was going on, and who was doing what, but it didn’t matter. It was too much fun. Charlie is quite fond of one-liners.

My problems began when I started the next book, ‘After you with the pistol’, straight after finishing ‘Don’t point that thing at me’. It’s difficult not to – the first book ends with a cliff-hanger, and I was eager to find out what happened. I really, really wish I hadn't continued reading. I know these books were written in the 70s, I know they were very different times, but for crying out loud! Constant misogyny and racism are just not funny. In particular, Charlie’s views on rape were too much for this reader. I tried to get over it; I tried to keep going, telling myself it was part of the dark humour, the author is making fun of the genre & my po-faced political correctness, but in the end I just didn’t care. I didn’t care enough about Charlie to want to know what happened - quite a problem when he narrates the story. I stopped reading. Maybe one day I’ll go back and read the third book ‘Something nasty in the woodshed’, but not for a long, long time.

Read ‘Don’t point that thing at me’. It's fun. But stop there.
1 vote Pencils | Feb 20, 2010 |
Charming! ( )
  TTAISI-Editor | Nov 21, 2006 |
This is the quintessential Mortdecai voice: arch and insufferably, authoritatively snobbish. The effortless brio of Mortdecai’s narration and the outrageousness of his prejudices have insured a following for the Mortdecai novels even while they have been out of print...
added by timtom | editThe New Yorker, Leo Carey (Sep 20, 2004)

Omnibus contains novels 'Don't point that thing at me', 'After you with the pistol', 'Something nasty in the woodshed'.

Charlie Mortdecai is a louche art dealer with some distinctly dubious friends in the London underworld and some great connections to the British upper classes. He features in the three brilliant black-comedy thrillers originally published in the 70s and collected in this volume: "Don't Point That Thing At Me", "After You With The Pistol", and "Something Nasty In The Woodshed." 'A writer capable of a rare mixture of wit and imaginative unpleasantness' - Julian Barnes.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:44 -0400)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,001,253 books! | Top bar: Always visible