Loon Lake by E. L. Doctorow

Loon Lake (1980)

by E. L. Doctorow

I love Doctorow, but this really wasn't what I expected. Whenever I thought I knew what was going on, I didn't really, and some of the scenes are hideously graphic, but at times it was the best, most inspired thing I'd ever read.

Reader Beware: I created a long-needed "weird" bookshelf after reading this one. ( )
  StefanieBrookTrout | Feb 4, 2017 |
A drifter finds himself on a summer home of an industrialist. But it wasn't engaging. The Doctorow flare for fast paced story telling didn't emerge from this mass. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Mar 5, 2014 |
It is rare that I am left without words in trying to describe how utterly bad a book is, and the horrible taste that it has left in its' wake. I am not sure that I have an adequate enough vocabulary to give this book the scathing review it so richly deserves. I found all the characters to be just repugnant, and I could care less about any of them, or any of the events that happened to them. The plot was confusing and I wasn't sure whether it was the author, or whether the editors and publishers really messed up how this book was put together. The story would relate one event and then several chapters later relate the same event again, only from a slightly earlier time. The character development was non existent and the characters themselves were shallow, uninteresting sub-humans and I found their actions to be putrid. I have often thought that even if I did not like a book, I should be willing to give the author a second chance. I don't see that happening here. if someone wanted to borrow this book, more than likely, I would refuse that request. I cannot emphasize strongly enough to pass on this book, even if it means reading a mediocre book for the third or fourth time. ( )
1 vote morryb | May 15, 2008 |

Doctorow, E. L.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Diamond, DonnaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Toorn, Willem vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Helen Henslee
They were hateful presences in me.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039450691X, Hardcover)

It is the Great Depression of the 1930s, and a passionate young man from Paterson, New Jersey, leaves home to find his fortune. What he finds, on a cold and lonely night in the Adirondack Mountains, is a vision of life so different from his own that it changes his destiny, leading him from the side of a railroad track to a magical place called Loon Lake.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:31 -0400)

Joe is a young man on the run during the Great Depression. A late-summer night finds him alone and shivering beside a railroad track in the Adirondack mountains when a private railcar passes. Brightly lit windows reveal well-dressed men at a table and, in another compartment, a beautiful girl holding up a white dress before her naked form. Joe follows the track to the mysterious estate at Loon Lake, where he finds the girl along with a tycoon, an aviatrix, a drunken poet, and a covey of gangsters.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,089,296 books! | Top bar: Always visible