Girl Waits With Gun

by Amy Stewart

Series: Kopp Sisters (1)

Living in virtual isolation years after the revelation of a painful family secret, Constance Kopp is terrorized by a belligerent silk factory owner and fights back in ways outside the norm for early twentieth-century women.

This is a great story -- excellent, no nonsense, strong women with eccentric interests fall into a detective story during a really interesting time in US history. It is not, however, hilarious (as some other reviews have said) except in that the sisters zing with personality and don't seem to be willing to let the outside world change them overmuch. I found it fascinating, frightening -- truly the escalation of violence and threats because the main characters are women is extreme and chilling, and all too like the headlines today. At the end of the book we discover that this is based on a true story -- most of the headlines are quotes from newspapers at the time, many of the letters are from the trial. What an astonishing thing -- I did not see that coming at all. It makes me even more intrigued about what's next for Constance Kopp. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |

This story was more a crime story than a mystery. But I liked Constance and her sisters Norma and Fleurette as they struggled to make due on their farm and protect themselves from the factory owner. There were a few small surprises along the way and a sprinkling of humor. This was a good start to a new series and I’m interested in reading the next book to see what the Kopp sisters are up to. ( )
  gaylebutz | Feb 10, 2022 |
Historical Fiction based on a long forgotten true story. Three sisters, living in virtual isolation, are terrorized by a factory owner in 1920s Paterson, New Jersey. Great characters, funny and engaging. The heroine is intelligent, feisty and ahead of her time! Fun read ( )
  mpensack | Feb 9, 2022 |
My book club, the IWBC (interesting women’s book club 😉 ) read Girl Waits with Gun by Amy Stewart this month. This book is based on the Kopp sisters, and in particular Constance Kopp, one of the first female deputy sheriffs in America. Set in the early years of the 20th century, it is a good look into the role of women. The story revolves around a horse and buggy/automobile accident that the Kopp sisters were involved in. Their suit to receive damages from the accident turns violent with threats from the ones who ran into them. The book has a sub-thread that focuses on what women had to endure when they found themselves pregnant outside of marriage. That and other historical elements make this an interesting read. I especially liked the discourse on the media of the time — it seems not much has changed in 100+ years. 😉 The characters are fun and quirky as the book leans toward a cozy mystery vibe. I really liked this book, and as it happens I can get more of the Kopp sisters. There are 7 books available in the series.

Recommended.

Audience: adults.

(I downloaded the audiobook from my local library via Libby. All opinions expressed are mine alone.) ( )
  vintagebeckie | Nov 18, 2021 |
Based on the little-known story of the real Constance Kopp, one of America’s first female deputy sheriffs, the novel is an entertaining and enlightening story of how far one woman will go to protect her family.

Stewart has spun a fine, historically astute novel out of all this, adding a subplot and deepening the characters.

Amy Stewartprimary authorall editionscalculated
Surniak, PaulinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tierney, JimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tierney, JimCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

"I got a revolver to protect us," said Miss Constance, "and I soon had use for it."

-New York Times, June 3, 1915
To John Birgel and Dennis O'Dell
Our troubles began in the summer of 1914, the year I turned thirty-five.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Amy Stewart's book Girl Waits with Gun was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Amy Stewart is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,772,840 books! | Top bar: Always visible