The Sandman: Overture (2015)

by Neil Gaiman, J. H. Williams III (Illustrator)

Other authors: Karen Berger (Editor), Shelly Bond (Editor), Todd Klein (Letterer), Gregory Lockard (Editor), Dave McKean (Illustrator)7 more, Sara Miller (Editor), Scott Nybakken (Editor), Louis Prandi (Designer), Dave Stewart (Colorist), J. H. Williams Iii (Illustrator), Jeb Woodard (Editor), Rowena Yow (Editor)

Series: The Sandman (Overture 1-6)

Twenty-five years since THE SANDMAN first changed the landscape of modern comics, Neil Gaiman's legendary series is back in a deluxe edition! THE SANDMAN: OVERTURE heralds NEW YORK TIMES best-selling writer Neil Gaiman's return to the art form that made him famous, ably abetted by artistic luminary JH Williams III (BATWOMAN, PROMETHEA), whose lush, widescreen images provide an epic scope to The Sandman's origin story. From the birth of a galaxy to the moment that Morpheus is captured, THE SANDMAN: OVERTURE will feature cameo appearances by fan-favorite characters such as The Corinthian, Merv Pumpkinhead and, of course, the Dream King's siblings: Death, Desire, Despair, Delirium, Destruction and Destiny.… (more)
Recently added byEnoch52, mshalk, private library, ldintz, ungratefulwench, AmandaU, BookRaven78, clockworktomato

English (60)  Dutch (1)  All languages (61)
If I'm being perfectly honest, the story on its own was not quite five stars for me. It was ambitious and grand and I loved it, but it either needed more space or less plot because it felt a bit rushed at times. I wish I'd gotten to know Hope better, at least.

The art, though. It's trippy and intricate, and I could stare at those pages for hours, and they fill me to bursting with wonder like every Sandman story does. ( )
  AdioRadley | Jan 21, 2024 |
Wow, this is trippy even by Sandman standards! I wonder why it took me so long to finally get around to reading it. A beautiful story, told in even more beautiful art. ( )
  adastra | Jan 15, 2024 |
Fantastic pencils, coloring, lettering, covers, and writing. I won't add more, since the other reviews do a better job. ( )
  wvlibrarydude | Jan 14, 2024 |
Rated "Good" in our old book database. ( )
  villemezbrown | Dec 7, 2023 |
The characters are readily the best part of the story, and Delirium, whom I always want more of, is wonderful in this. The artwork in Overture is also among the best of the whole series. However, the story itself felt chaotic and disconnected. I frequently found myself checking to see if I'd missed a page when I hadn't. I never got the sensation of being drawn in which I've come to expect from this series. Overall I found it disjointed and unsatisfying. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Oct 15, 2023 |

Stewart, DaveColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams Iii, J. H.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Woodard, JebEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yow, RowenaEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Karen Berger. You made it happen.
And for the SANDMAN periodical editorial team, who scribbled down my corrections and caught up with me in strange places between 1988 and 2015: Art Young, Tom Peyer, Alisa Kwitney, Lisa Aufenanger, Shelly Bond, Jenny Lee, and Shelly Bond again.
You were the dream team, and you did your work in the shadows. I'm grateful. - Neil
I dedicate the work in this book to my ever-enchanting wife, Wendy Williams. Many have little understanding that such a thing as SANDMAN: OVERTURE could not possibly exist as you see it here without her.
She is the stuff of dreams. - J.H.
It was a small planet.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,577,184 books! | Top bar: Always visible