The Sandman: Overture by Neil Gaiman

The Sandman: Overture (2015)

by Neil Gaiman, J.H. Williams, III (Illustrator)

Other authors: Todd Klein (Letterer), Dave McKean (Illustrator), Dave Stewart (Colorist)

Series: The Sandman (prequel)

English (30)  Dutch (1)  All languages (31)
The characters are readily the best part of the story, and Delirium, whom I always want more of, is wonderful in this. The artwork in Overture is also among the best of the whole series. However, the story itself felt chaotic and disconnected. I frequently found myself checking to see if I'd missed a page when I hadn't. I never got the sensation of being drawn in which I've come to expect from this series. Overall I found it disjointed and unsatisfying. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Dec 27, 2018 |
Sandman is the graphic novel series that made Neil Gaiman famous. Twenty-five years after Sandman first appeared, Gaiman returns to it with Sandman's origin story.

The art is beautiful. The story starts off confusing for me, but comes together beautifully. The characters are developed in a fine and convincing way.

I hesitate to say more about this. It seems to me to be important to discover the story as Gaiman and his co-creators unfold it for us. So this is a very short review.

Highly recommended. Read it! ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
3.5 stars. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
I started this year hoping to read more than the handful of books I finished last year. I reached Christmas having smashed several goals with 29 books under my belt. With one day to go I knew I couldn't finish the Atwood I'm in the middle of, so I reached for this most magnificent of birthday presents from Paul with high hopes. I was not disappointed.

I've been a fan of Sandman from when I first met it in the late 90s. The stories can be dark, but they reach out and hold you spellbound and hoping for happy endings. And the artwork - well it's always art. Not just a way to pass on the story but something to get lost in in its own right. This is as beautiful and spell binding as ever, though the time since I last read any of the originals leaves me a bit fuzzy in places. Great stuff. And I love the cat. ( )
  lnr_blair | Jan 15, 2018 |
Why did it take me so long to read this?

No, really. This book has been sitting on my shelf since at least last year's readathon, but I didn't get it read until this one. Was I just not ready to read what is supposed to be the final chapter (again) of Gaiman's Sandman story? Was I resisting because I thought it might compel me to re-read the entire series? (It might.) Was I hesitant to re-enter the world of Sandman, afraid it wouldn't hold up in its importance to me now that it held in my early adulthood?

Probably a little bit of all of that.

This prequel answers the question, where was Dream returning from when he was caught in the snare that sets off events in Preludes and Nocturnes? (If you are new to Sandman, I would still recommend starting with Preludes and Nocturnes and come back to Overture later.) It definitely does not answer all the questions though, especially the question of why Desire is so determined to make Dream spill family blood. I mean, personality conflicts I get, but that feels like there has to be a specific story behind it.

Anyway, this book was consistent with what I've come to expect from Sandman -- a vaguely convoluted story with a sprawling cast of characters, an amazing and diverse collection of art - from beautiful and celestial to old-fashioned Victorian to threateningly disconcerting. I liked meeting Dream's parents, particularly his mother. And the fold-out pages were used very effectively.

I'm going to have to re-read the whole series now, aren't I? ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |

Gaiman, NeilAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, J.H., IIIIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stewart, DaveColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Karen Berger. You made it happen.
And for the SANDMAN periodical editorial team, who scribbled down my corrections and caught up with me in strange places between 1988 and 2015: Art Young, Tom Peyer, Alisa Kwitney, Lisa Aufenanger, Shelly Bond, Jenny Lee, and Shelly Bond again.
You were the dream team, and you did your work in the shadows. I'm grateful. - Neil
I dedicate the work in this book to my ever-enchanting wife, Wendy Williams. Many have little understanding that such a thing as SANDMAN: OVERTURE could not possibly exist as you see it here without her.
She is the stuff of dreams. - J.H.
It was a small planet.

Presents the Sandman's origin story from the birth of a galaxy to the moment that Morpheus is captured.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,647,327 books! | Top bar: Always visible