dismiss

The Sandman: Overture (2015)

by Neil Gaiman, J.H. Williams, III (Illustrator)

Other authors: Todd Klein (Letterer), Dave McKean (Illustrator), Dave Stewart (Colorist)

Series: The Sandman

"Twenty-five years since THE SANDMAN first changed the landscape of modern comics, Neil Gaiman's legendary series is back in a deluxe hardcover edition! THE SANDMAN: OVERTURE heralds New York Times best-selling writer Neil Gaiman's return to the art form that made him famous, ably abetted by artistic luminary JH Williams III (BATWOMAN, PROMETHEA), whose lush, widescreen images provide an epic scope to The Sandman's origin story. From the birth of a galaxy to the moment that Morpheus is captured, THE SANDMAN: OVERTURE will feature cameo appearances by fan-favorite characters such as The Corinthian, Merv Pumpkinhead and, of course, the Dream King's siblings: Death, Desire, Despair, Delirium, Destruction and Destiny"--… (more)
Recently added byPyroCat, private library, Lilye, JamesMcArdle, ChantelleRaven, oconnorsnider

English (39)  Dutch (1)  All languages (40)
And a glorious and great nomination for the 2016 Hugo nominations for Graphic Novel goes to: Sandman!

To say that this is a either a coda or a prequel, or both, is to entirely miss the point.
The fact is, there's a ton of new material, a haunting story, and some truly exemplary artwork suffusing these pages.

I think this is easily the work of love that the series always wanted to be, not that it wasn't already a gorgeous work of art. It's this one that slams it's fist into our guts and blows our minds. Did you ever want to see Dream save the universe or talk with his momma and poppa? lol this was a totally awesome comic, from start to finish, and what a great payoff! To think I might feel a bit of pity for Desire! To think I might actually feel horror and sorrow for the monster that Death, poor, beautiful Death, was becoming.

I've now read three of the five nominees for Graphic Novel Hugos for this year, and barring some grand upset through Full Frontal Nerdity or The Devine, Sandman is easily, on it's own merits and not even touching upon any of the rest of the grand series, the best choice, and well worth any other accolades and word of mouth thrillers out there. :)

What a grand circle this was! :)

bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
This is, aesthetically, my favorite Sandman volume, I think. The story could be a little on the nose, and Dream is just kind of a slow-moving tragedy, it seems, but the visuals! Wow! Two sets of fold-out pages. Art that was worth looking at!

I don't just mean it was pretty, either. My big sticking point with graphic novels, the thing that takes them from very good or excellent into amazingly fantastic is how much they take advantage of the visual medium to tell the story alongside the words. Or at least, how much detail is there to pore over, spotting new things with each sweep of your eyes? This had that. The city of stars! The realm of night! The realm of time! All the different aspects of Dream (and Death, too; we saw a lot more different renderings of her than ever before as well)!

It's an interesting story, bittersweet with the knowledge that you know where Dream is going next, and next, and next. It's also a fantastic visual feast. ( )
  elam11 | May 30, 2020 |
Fantastic work. As good as anything in the original run. The drawings are insane, haven't seen anything quite like this. ( )
  Cail_Judy | Apr 21, 2020 |
This was an odd read, but I think that had more to do with the fact that I hadn't read the original Sandman so I had no point of reference. The story isn't hard to follow and it was enjoyable, albeit dark, but I'm sure much was loss because of my lack of knowledge about the characters. I picked this up because I thought it was a prequel. Given the opportunity again, I would start with the first Sandman book and go from there. ( )
  JordanSummers | Mar 31, 2020 |
This is the most beautiful book I've ever read in terms of story combined with artwork. It is absolutely gorgeous! ( )
  Charrlygirl | Mar 22, 2020 |

Gaiman, NeilAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, J.H., IIIIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stewart, DaveColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Karen Berger. You made it happen.
And for the SANDMAN periodical editorial team, who scribbled down my corrections and caught up with me in strange places between 1988 and 2015: Art Young, Tom Peyer, Alisa Kwitney, Lisa Aufenanger, Shelly Bond, Jenny Lee, and Shelly Bond again.
You were the dream team, and you did your work in the shadows. I'm grateful. - Neil
I dedicate the work in this book to my ever-enchanting wife, Wendy Williams. Many have little understanding that such a thing as SANDMAN: OVERTURE could not possibly exist as you see it here without her.
She is the stuff of dreams. - J.H.
It was a small planet.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,743,527 books! | Top bar: Always visible