Spider-Verse by Dan Slott
Morlun's whole family of inheritors is rampaging across the multiverse feeding on the life forces of arachnid-powered superhumans. To have any hope of survival, the Spiders will have to unite with the wall-crawlers of all worlds for the most incredible team up of all.

A family of immortal creatures are hunting down and killing Spider-Man (and Spider-Woman and Spider-Ham and... you get the idea) across the multiverse. As several of the Spider-Men unite and realize what is happening they begin to recruit Spider-people everywhere in an effort to save themselves and the larger universe.

Ambitious with some fascinating side stories, I have to admit that I found the central story arc for this one a little underwhelming (but that might be the side result of having seen Into the Spiderverse first which is so tightly crafted). It also could be slightly the fault of how this collected volume is set up with the first half of this chunky book focused on the main Spider-Verse plot line, while the various side plot lines that weave in and out are all collected in the second half. I definitely found the side-plots more interesting as this was where we got to explore characters and their familiar but new origins. I particularly enjoyed the Steampunk-ish Lady Spider, Silk, and Spider-UK who came for interesting worlds of their own. An interesting read if you're a hard-core Spider-Man fan but not a must-read for me as I mostly picked it up for Spider-Gwen back story (of which there is very little). ( )
  MickyFine | May 15, 2019 |
Spider-Verse collects Amazing Spider-Man nos. 7-15, Superior Spider-Man nos. 32-33, Spider-Verse nos. 1-2, Spider-Verse Team-Up nos. 1-3, Scarlet Spiders nos. 1-3, Spider-Woman nos. 1-4, Spider-Man 2099 nos. 5-8, and Free Comic Book Day 2014 Guardians of the Galaxy no. 1. The story focuses on a family named the inheritors who seek those with spider powers (called “totems”) across the multiverse to feed upon them. On of them, Morlun, first appeared during J. Michael Straczynski’s early 2000s run on Amazing Spider-Man. The story also includes elements from his storyline “The Other” and from Araña: Heart of the Spider.
Spider-Verse is a fun, innovative new Spider-Man tale that weaves strands from the past decade or so of comics along with various fun alternate universes (some of which include versions of Spider-Man from his own past, such as the multi-armed Spider-Man or clone Ben Reilly) that really feels like a good event for the character. In the past, some Spider-Man events were either too rushed (like “One More Day”) or far too long (like the “Clone Saga”). This manages to strike the right balance and also allows some of the more fun elements to shine through, like Spider-Ham. Plus, it helped launch Spider-Gwen and Silk. My only complaint about this volume is that the editors present the tie-in stories from Spider-Verse Team-Up, Scarlet Spiders, Spider-Woman, Spider-Man 2099 after the main storyline has ended, rather than putting them after the issues in which writers cross-reference them. It would be a more coherent volume if they did without those feeling like add-ons (though many of them appear in their own trade paperback format under their own titles).
If you want an epic Spider-Man story that has a lot of heart, a lot of creativity, and helps to resolve some of the continuity issues from the 2000s, this is the book for you. ( )
1 vote DarthDeverell | Feb 12, 2018 |
I was really hoping that Marvel would put something like this together for Spider-Verse, a massive crossover event in the Spider-books from last year. I had considered trying to find all of the issues individually, something I've only done one other time in the past (in the early 90s) with the original Crisis on Infinite Earths by DC. That hunt took almost two years to find all of the issues and tie-ins, and it was a lot of fun, but not something I relish doing again.

The best thing I liked about this epic compilation is how they kept the story in order, taking pages out of individual books and placing them in the proper place in Spider-Verse continuity. Marvel really hit a home run with this decision, and it's something that all comic publishers should look at with their crossover event compilations. It really makes for much better storytelling.

As for the story itself, it was pretty good, even if it was the typical overcoming-against-impossible-odds seen in almost every Spiderman story. I really enjoyed seeing the hundreds of different Spider-men/-women/-creatures/-robots, and especially enjoyed the interaction between them. Like the original Amazing Spider-Man, it is a personality-driven story, and the writers were able to manage the humor and "great power/great responsibility" of all of them.

If you want a good, exciting story, and a well-told and well-compiled compilation, this is the one to read. You don't have to be a huge fan to Spiderman to be able to follow along; it's all pretty clear in this one (another homerun for the writers). ( )
1 vote ssimon2000 | May 31, 2016 |
I decided to try this because, a, spider-gwen, and b, I'd heard it was a massive crossover event that actually functioned as a comic, because they'd carefully made sure all the tie-in titles had stand-alone side-quests and that the main plot stayed where it belonged in the main title.

This is-- mostly true, as true as it could be, anyway, I suppose. It certainly worked better than other major crossovers I've tried. And I can visualize how all the side-quests were set up to be fun and make sense even if you weren't in the main title.

The problem is, that means all the fun happened in the tie-in titles and the main book is nothing but exposition and boss fights. ( )
  melannen | Jan 1, 2016 |
This hardback was organized horribly. There's a chronology up front that says which comics happen in what sequence, but instead of actually putting the content into the book in that order, they segregated it by title...mostly. Further, the Edge of Spider-Verse miniseries is collected in a whole different volume. It's as if someone at Marvel just took all the smaller trade paperbacks and stapled 'em together. What this means is that, if you want to experience this event in the proper chronology, you're going to need two books, a fistful of bookmarks, and a bottle of painkillers to sort everything out. They took the time to print the chronology; why not take a few more minutes to arrange the content to match?

That's a little harsh, though. If you read the Edge volume first, the first chunk of the book (teaser, Superior 32-33, 2099 5, Amazing 7-8) does a pretty solid job of setting the stage. The problem is, instead of branching from there into the (forgive me) web of interlocking stories, the book slogs through each of the remaining arcs separately. As a result, it takes you through the rest of Amazing 9-15, telling the core story from Spidey-616's perspective, only to go aaaaaaalllll the way back to the Spider-Verse 1-2 and Team-Up 1-3 issues that are really part of the Edge arc. Only then do you get to see the three major side quests, each as its own mini-event: Spider-Woman 1-4, Scarlet 1-3, and 2099 6-8.

As for the actual story... yeah, that's pretty solid. I haven't been following the series since the end of the Superior arc, but I didn't have much trouble jumping on for the ride. I'm glad to see Morlun gone for good, though; I never really cared for him as a villain, and having a whole clan of him jumping dimensions with their I'M GONNA EATCHA!! shtick got really old, really fast. They served their purpose as a huge Big Bad, though, and that's what mattered. There were some surprising spider-alternates along the way, and I'm not going to spoil those, but I will lament that my personal favorite never got a mention: Web-Man. Okay, sure, he was a one-issue opponent from Spidey Super Stories waaaay back in the day, but I always loved the blue-and-red look. (Quick summary: Dr. Doom created an evil Spider-Man, and his costume's colors were swapped so the kids the book was aimed at could tell 'em apart. Hokey, but still neat.) Would it really have been that hard to show him in one or two panels?

The story would've rated four stars, but I docked it one for the atrocious organization. ( )
  RevBobMIB | Oct 21, 2015 |
On a world much like ours, in a time long ago...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,831,868 books! | Top bar: Always visible