All the Birds in the Sky

by Charlie Jane Anders

Series: All The Birds In The Sky (1)

When Patricia Delfine was six years old, a wounded bird led her deep into the forest to the Parliament of Birds, where she met the Great Tree and was asked a question that would determine the course of her life. When Laurence Armstead was in grade school, he cobbled together a wristwatch-sized device that could send its wearer two seconds into the future. When Patricia and Laurence first met in high school, they didn't understand one another at all. But as time went on, they kept bumping into one another's lives. Now they're both grown up, and the planet is falling apart around them. Laurence is an engineering genius who's working with a group that aims to avert catastrophic breakdown through technological intervention into the changing global climate. Patricia is a graduate of Eltisley Maze, the hidden academy for the world's magically gifted, and works with a small band of other magicians to secretly repair the world's every-growing ailments. Neither Laurence nor Patricia can keep pace with the speed at which things fall apart. But something bigger than either of them, something begun deep in their childhoods, is determined to bring them together. And will.… (more)
    Sourdough by Robin Sloan (tralliott)
    A Working Theory of Love by Scott Hutchins (wandering_star)
    Postsingular by Rudy Rucker (hairball)
    hairball: All the Birds in the Sky made me think about Postsingular and Hylozoic for some reason--maybe it's the Bay Area thing, but it's also something about the attitude.

I feel like there was way too much in this novel. It would have made a fantastic three-book series. I couldn't keep track of the secondary characters and certain things required more time than was given. The last 100 pages I was mostly super annoyed and then incredibly touched by the ending, which just made me frustrated that I couldn't feel that way throughout. Some really good things here, but not given the requisite room to breathe. ( )
  J.Flux | Aug 13, 2022 |
Muito potencial, pouca entrega. ( )
  christ_s | Aug 5, 2022 |
This was a really weird book that apparently a majority of readers love and I pretty much hated. It was interesting for the first 50ish pages and then just dissolved into chaos. I'm kind of baffled about what the hype is about this story. I think the author went a little too hard on the idea of the world trying to beat the creativeness and differences out of the two main characters who are friends? but also have internally admitted they are not actually friends cause they would dump the other in a hot minute if they could. That was confusing. Also every single student and every single adult is basically an idiot, neglectful or abusive toward? That seems a little far fetched to me. Rather than feeling like a SFF book it felt oddly like magical realism type of fiction mixed in with a little Good Omen-ish writing. It just didn't do it for me. ( )
  awesomejen2 | Jun 21, 2022 |
PERFECTION. ( )
  liannecollins | Jun 10, 2022 |
What did I think? I don't know yet. It didn't really work for me, but I can't put a finger on any reason why. I'm going to have to process it for a while. ( )
  suzannekmoses | May 20, 2022 |

Anders, Charlie Janeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bresnahan, AlyssaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hayden, Patrick NielsenEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staehle, WillCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staehle, WilliamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weinberg, MiriamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeitz, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the game of life and evolution there are three players at the table: human beings, nature, and machines. I am firmly on the side of nature. But nature, I suspect, is on the side of machines. -George Dyson, Darwin Among the Machines
To Annalee
When Patricia was six years old, she found a wounded bird.
"You never learned the secret,” said Roberta. “How to be a crazy motherfucker and get away with it. Everybody else does it. What, you didn’t think they were all sane, did you? Not a one of them. They’re all crazier than you and me put together. They just know how to fake it. You could too, but you’ve chosen to torture all of us instead. That’s the definition of evil right there: not faking it like everybody else. Because all of us crazy fuckers can’t stand it when someone else lets their crazy show. It’s like bugs under the skin. We have to destroy you. It’s nothing personal."
You know … no matter what you do, people are going to expect you to be someone you’re not. But if you’re clever and lucky and work your butt off, then you get to be surrounded by people who expect you to be the person you wish you were.
nature doesn’t ‘find ways’ to do anything. Nature has no opinion, no agenda. Nature provides a playing field, a not particularly level one, on which we compete with all creatures great and small. It’s more that nature’s playing field is full of traps.
Boredom is the mind’s scar tissue.

Patricia's a witch,
Laurence is a scientist.
The world is ending.
(rretzler)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,288,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible