Sourdough by Robin Sloan

Sourdough (2017)

by Robin Sloan

English (60)  Italian (1)  All languages (61)
Truly enjoyed this book. Very quirky, with engaging characters, including the main protagonist. Loved the concept of a Lois club and wished there was a Phyllis club I could join. As someone who has visited San Francisco many times, I also loved having the book set there. But what made this book so good, was the story -- very fresh and different, not predictable. The one reason I didn't give it five stars is because it followed that modern style of ending abruptly and not letting you see where the characters and events ended up. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Mar 17, 2019 |
I loved this book!! It was a super fast read—and I actually think I liked it better than Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore. Here’s why:

1. The plot is not so entwined with a real-life company (like Google in Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore). Instead, Sloan uses phrases like “expedient video-sharing website.” Which is obviously YouTube, but comes across as both funny and less of a brand advertisement.

2. Less technical computer programming language. For someone who’s not a programmer, there were parts of Penumbra that I definitely glazed over. Sloan finds a great balance of speaking technically without losing the less technology inclined.

3. Baking MAGIC. Isn’t bread a little bit magical anyway? I love how Sloan infused technology, biology, and some good old magic and mystery into this story. Weirdly satisfying combination.

4. Crossover characters!!!! Just wait, you might find yourself meeting Clay, NewBagel, and a certain anatomically inclined CGI company in Sourdough.

5. Perfect humor. I swear, Sloan totally gets my dry sense of humor. Both of his books have had main characters that I would love to hang out with in real life. I laughed out loud several times.

Overall, Sourdough was a lot of fun in an interesting setting (San Francisco). Definitely worth the wait for this one to rise after Penumbra (see what I did there?).

Very eager to see what’s next from this author. Off to bake some bread! ( )
  melissa_faith | Mar 16, 2019 |
I picked this up because I was thoroughly entertained by Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore. This book was kind of entertaining and bizarre, but it didn't really do anything for me. Other than want to eat sourdough (^^) ( )
  emanate28 | Mar 14, 2019 |
"I needed a more interesting life.
I could start by learning something.
I could start with the starter." Lois Clary

Lois Clary, freshly transplanted to San Francisco, is too busy in her new position as software programmer at General Dexterity to fix a decent dinner. What does an up and coming professional do? Order out, of course! She has the good fortune of discovering Clement Street Soup and Sourdough. Their double spicy soup sopped up with their delicious homemade bread quickly becomes her daily staple. When the owners are forced to leave San Francisco, they gift their Sourdough starter to their "Number One Eater", Lois, with the stipulation she must feed it, talk to it and play music for it as it is alive. The starter opens a new world to Lois and as the starter expands so do her bread baking skills, taking her life in a new direction.
Seventy-Five percent of this book was enthralling. It read as if it were a memoir or a non-fiction self-help book on starting your own business with interesting tidbits on the science of sourdough bread. The final 25% of the story declined with its absurd silliness and seemed rushed ultimately falling as flat as untended starter. ( )
  Carmenere | Jan 17, 2019 |
The author writes beautifully. Of course I read this because I loved Mr Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore. I bet that's how most of us wound up reading a book where sourdough bread starter was practically a main character.

I'd have trouble explaining why this was so good. I'll try.
Beautifully written.
Unique storyline.
Bizarre but totally enjoyable. ( )
  Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
For Kathryn
It would have been nutritive gel for dinner, same as always, if I had not discovered stuck to my apartment's front door a paper menu advertising the newly expanded delivery service of a neighborhood restaurant.

Lois Clary is a software engineer at General Dexterity, a San Francisco robotics company with world-changing ambitions. She codes all day and collapses at night, her human contact limited to the two brothers who run the neighborhood hole-in-the-wall from which she orders dinner every evening. Then, disaster! Visa issues. The brothers close up shop, and fast. But they have one last delivery for Lois: their culture, the sourdough starter used to bake their bread. She must keep it alive, they tell her—feed it daily, play it music, and learn to bake with it.

Lois is no baker, but she could use a roommate, even if it is a needy colony of microorganisms. Soon, not only is she eating her own homemade bread, she’s providing loaves daily to the General Dexterity cafeteria. The company chef urges her to take her product to the farmer’s market, and a whole new world opens up.

When Lois comes before the jury that decides who sells what at Bay Area markets, she encounters a close-knit club with no appetite for new members. But then, an alternative emerges: a secret market that aims to fuse food and technology. But who are these people, exactly?

Leavened by the same infectious intelligence that made Robin Sloan’s Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore such a sensation, while taking on even more satisfying challenges, Sourdough marks the triumphant return of a unique and beloved young writer. Amazon

"A new novel about an underground food community by the author of Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,222,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible