Soul Retrievers by David Burton

Soul Retrievers

by David Burton

442,442,054 (4)None
    The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett (Skylles)
    Skylles: Fun, often silly, very creative, action fantasy
    The Inferno by Dante Alighieri (Skylles)
    Skylles: Explorations of Hell
    A Spell for Chameleon by Piers Anthony (Skylles)
    Skylles: Similar tounge-in-cheek humor

I received this e-arc via Member Giveaway group, thank you!

This is dark adventure fantasy that takes the reader into a journey of soul retriever in the hell. It's dark, purely adultish trip with rough side events involving other members of his family,thus affecting his actions, and a journey where he faces huge power from the prophecy he does not believe.

The book cover is perfect for the book and story it carries, i found it dark and scary, leading a mystery what the story if hell will be about. ( )
  ilonita50 | Oct 19, 2015 |
A journey through the Gates of Hell!

Errors happen every day in life, and in death…

This is why there are Soul Retrievers, special people whose job it is to enter through the gates of Hell and retrieve the souls of those who have been sent there by mistake. The training is rigorous and can take years, and often the ability to be one is passed down through generations.

Getter is a soul retriever, and so was his Father-in-Law. This time his mission is to find the soul of Brittany, a little girl aged ten who was sent into Hell by mistake.

But, what is it like entering the Gates of Hell? What do you find on the other side?

Well, the author of this gripping supernatural thriller takes the reader on a wondrous journey through those gates, into strange lands with mysterious landscapes. Where Getter comes across magical creatures, demons, unbelievable beings, and souls tormented in unimaginable ways.

As Getter travels deep into the very depths of hell on his quest he meets other characters like the jolly Scotsman Gregory who is trapped there, and other Lifers like himself. Soon he finds himself teamed up with Sneaker a vampire who is on her own quest to find a young boy, Little Bobby Johnston.

As they fight for survival in the realms of Hell, they find allies in strange animal and discover that ancient legends are true. Then, to his dismay, Getter discovers through Reech, a strange being called a Flyer, that it is his destiny to fulfil a great prophecy, but what is it?

As the underworld prepares for an epic battle, will the Soul Retrievers manage to find Brittany and Bobby? And, even if they do, will they be able to escape from Mephisto, the Helland Security Chief and enter the Kingdom of Heaven?

Only by travelling this amazing adventure with them, through the pages of this epic tale, will you find the answers to these questions. Will they all survive, and if they do, will it be to live a ‘normal’ life or will they die in Heaven or Hell?

This is a fantastic story with every page being cram packed with adventure and magical creatures. It has an exciting plot, amazing characters, and it kept me spell bound until the last page. I would thoroughly recommend it. ( )
  Susan-Keefe | Aug 10, 2015 |
Soul Retrievers by David Burton, a delightfully quirky modern myth chronicling the adventures of a soul retriever named Getter as he traverses Hell, was, overall, quite enjoyable.

David Burton seemed to have a slightly rough start, but, by mid-book, had definitely found this book's purpose. Reading it, I was certainly reminded of aspects of Robert Jordan's descriptions of hellish landscapes in the Wheel of Time series, adorned with a humor somewhere between Piers Anthony's Xanth series and Terry Pratchett's cleverness.

David Burton's Hell sounds like a fun place to go play, and that's exactly what he does. Dante may be the standard reference of the geography of Hell, but I think I much prefer the Hell in Soul Retrievers. I certainly prefer the humor.

While there is enough creativity to appeal to nearly any Fantasy audience, David Burton writes with a distinctly male voice and Soul Retrievers leans heavily toward action rather than deeper thoughtfulness. Luckily, David Burton managed to avoid turning this story into a sermon, and succeeded at keeping the tone of the book light.

Do not mistake me, I like action. It is actually quite difficult to write and produce anything coherent. I enjoyed the entire book, and the cheeky references and witty humor kept a grin on my face the entire read. That being said, it will most likely appeal to a more masculine audience. Burton does write strong female characters, who do more than their share of ass-kicking, but they tend to be, not offensively, objectified.

Of course, this book is set in Hell, in a very fire-demons-tortured-souls way. Burton leaves out none of the major Sins, and includes several which should probably receive categories of their own, so there are strong references to sex, violence, gore, and the rewards awaiting the worst of the worst of human evils.

For that reason, and that reason alone, I would only suggest this book to adults, or extremely mature near-adults (who have probably seen worse on the internet by now anyway). Either way, Soul Retrievers is worth the read, and I can't wait to run into a few casual conversations over the story.

Burton also leaves the ending primed for a sequel, which I anticipate with glee! ( )
  Skylles | May 19, 2015 |
Enjoyed it!! Thanx for letting me read it!! :-) ( )
  jennifferhope | May 17, 2015 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

David Burton's book Soul Retrievers was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,328,757 books! | Top bar: Always visible