A Spell for Chameleon (1977)

by Piers Anthony

Series: Xanth (1)

Xanth was the enchanted land where magic ruled--where every citizen had a special spell only he could cast. That is, except for Bink of North Village. He was sure he possessed no magic, and knew that if he didn't find some soon, he would be exiled. According to the Good Magician Humpfrey, the charts said that Bink was as powerful as the King or even the Evil Magician Trent. Unfortunately, no one could determine its form. Meanwhile, Bink was in despair. If he didn't find his magic soon, he would be forced to leave.… (more)

English (87)  Spanish (1)  All languages (88)
Bink will be exiled from Xanth on his 25th birthday if he does not have a magical talent, so he leaves home to consult the Good Magician Humfrey to find out whether he does have a magical talent and what it is.

There are parts of this 1977 fantasy novel which have not worn well but overall it was still an enjoyable quest fantasy with some truly groanworthy puns. i must admit I quail a bit at the thought of a 45-book series, but I will read at least some of the others from time to time. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Jul 2, 2022 |
I first read this series over thirty years ago and remember thoroughly enjoying them; although I had forgotten most of the storyline. Rereading this has done nothing to reduce my appreciation. Piers Anthony weaves a wonderfully magical tale infused with significant moral principles and life lessons. I look forward to reading the rest of the series, as I did so many years ago. ( )
  282Mikado | Apr 13, 2022 |
I don't derive near the pleasure from this now as I did at 14. Most of that is due to a change in not only my perspective but society's perspective regarding women and gender stereotypes. Things that were completely under the radar in the 70s and 80s are now highly visible.

However, it's still a delightful universe and has some good things to say about life. This, much like The Horse and His Boy falls into the category with my racist grandma. I love you Meemaw, but damn.

As for the puns, that's a matter of personal preference, and I'm a fan. ( )
1 vote Zoes_Human | Jan 4, 2022 |
I can't recall how this book fell into my library. I picked it up on a whim, and couldn't get past page 8. Every other paragraph is some passing description of the female main character's body or her being objectified by those around her. Really? A prankster lighting her "pert derriere" on fire? The FMC is the kind of girl who would give more of herself only after marriage, because, "the girls who have it don't need to put it on casual display", referring to beauty?
I need read no further. I've no interest in slogging through 340 pages with that sprinkled through it. ( )
  ginkgoleif | Dec 30, 2021 |
The Xanth books by Piers Anthony were one of the first SciFi/Fantasy series I ever read. I love puns so I have always enjoyed them. Upon re-reading them I can see that they have some weaknesses but overall they stand the test of time. They are a fun and fast read that keeps me amused without any deep thinking required. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |

Anthony, Piersprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A small lizard perched on a brown stone. Feeling threatened by the approach of human beings along the path, it metamorphosed into a stingray beetle, then into a stench-puffer, then into a fiery salamander.
A small lizard perched on a brown stone.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 172,038,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible