The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett

The Colour of Magic (1983)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld (1), Discworld: Rincewind (1)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (mcenroeucsb)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (derelicious)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (glade1)
    glade1: Another "zany alternate universe," set on earth in a slightly different version of history and with forays into BookWorld, or the actual events of books.
    Ill Met in Lankhmar [collection] by Fritz Leiber (ehines)
    ehines: Pratchett, of course, is far more contemporary, but aside from the obvious parody/homage, the tone and atmosphere of Pratchett's early Discworld books are clearly inpsired by the Lankhmar stories. Well worth reading either Leiber's or Pratchett's take on ironic fantasy heroism.… (more)
    Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw (electronicmemory)
    The Thirteen and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers (Tjarda)
    Tjarda: Walter Moers created the fantastic continent of Zamonia, with a great number of colourful characters. You may think it's for kids, but it is certainly not!
    Another Fine Myth by Robert Asprin (Cecrow)
    Soul Retrievers by David Burton (Skylles)
    Skylles: Fun, often silly, very creative, action fantasy
    The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (Morteana)
    Dungeon - Zenith, Vol. 1: Duck Heart by Joann Sfar (yokai)
    Un Lun Dun by China Miéville (asha.leu)
    The Toyminator by Robert Rankin (ShelfMonkey)
    A Dirty Job: A Novel by Christopher Moore (lookitisheef)

English (302)  French (7)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Romanian (1)  Polish (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (324)
This is the first Discworld book, but not my first. Because of this, I can recognize a lot of the cool features that Pratchett will flesh out in the coming books, but it was a lot of fun seeing the "origin" story, of Reincewind, Twoflowers and Luggage. 8/10 ( )
  mahsdad | Mar 19, 2019 |
Cute and cartoony, but not much to it. And it's the first in the Discworld Series of over 30 books! I think it would make a better graphic novel. ( )
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
The first time I read this book, I didn't technically read it. It was read to me by my husband, or should I say, he was reading it to our - at that time yet unborn - daughter, I just happened to be around while he did so (out of necessity, but not unwillingly...)
In this fashion - a couple of chapters every night before dozing off to sleep - we got through about half a dozen Discworld novels, a similar number of Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat books, and a stack of books by Craig Shaw Gardner we had picked up purely because the cover art was done by the very same Josh Kirby who was the genius responsible for the Discworld covers (at least until his sad passing in 2001).

Interestingly enough, our daughter turned out pretty well, is smart and has a great sense of humour. Luckily, the only streak of larceny she went through was when she was around 4, and it primarily involved biscuits. She blamed it on her baby brother. Naturally.

Is it fair to blame all that on Pratchett & co? Well, I like to think that maybe her dad and I had at least a little to do with it too, but I'm also quite certain that spending every evening in a happy, snuggly state of giggles most definitely did none of us any harm.

So I suggest you read this book, aloud to a loved one if you want (expected child optional). Because as people much wiser than me have been known to say; You can never have enough happy. ( )
  Sammystarbuck | Feb 23, 2019 |
The colour of magic, itself, is octarine, a colour that only wizards and cats can see. Even if you're a failed wizard. And thus, in this book, a wizard and a tourist go on wacky adventures together, cheating Death, Fate, Luck, and themselves.

Pratchett is a SF/fantasy genius, and for great reason. I mean, how can someone make you relate personally to a troll made entirely of water? The Colour of Magic is funny. Too funny. I had to stop reading because I laughed so hard a few times. Every character, even the ones who appear for two pages have a raison d'etre. The main characters are a hoot too, from the grumpy and failed wizard, to the clueless but somehow effective tourist.

Oh, and a loyal and carnivorous trunk.

I love this book so much because it is just good. So good. ( )
  yassie_j | Feb 11, 2019 |
I don't usually like fantasy books but this one was ok ( )
  Zaccer | Jan 2, 2019 |

Player, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robinson, TonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rockwell, Scottsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sahlin, OlleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In a distant and second-hand set of dimensions, in an astral plane that was never meant to fly, the curling star-mists waver and part...
Tourist, Rincewind decided, meant "idiot".
Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'.
Rincewind sighed again. It was all very well going on about pure logic and how the universe was ruled by logic and the harmony of numbers, but the plain fact of the matter was that the Disc was manifestly traversing space on the back of a giant turtle and the gods had a habit of going around to atheists' houses and smashing their windows.

Terry Pratchett has invented a phantasmagorical universe in which a blissfully naive interplanetary tourist called Two-flower joins up with a drop-out wizard whose spells only seem to work half of the time.

Together they undertake a chaotic voyage through a crazy world filled with monsters and dragons, heroes and knaves. Pratchett has taken the sword and sorcery fantasy tradition and turned it in its ear to create an entertaining and bizarre spoof.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061020710, Mass Market Paperback)

The Colour of Magic is Terry Pratchett's maiden voyage through the bizarre land of Discworld. His entertaining and witty series has grown to more than 20 books, and this is where it all starts--with the tourist Twoflower and his hapless wizard guide, Rincewind ("All wizards get like that ... it's the quicksilver fumes. Rots their brains. Mushrooms, too."). Pratchett spoofs fantasy clichés--and everything else he can think of--while marshalling a profusion of characters through a madcap adventure. The Colour of Magic is followed by The Light Fantastic. --Blaise Selby

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:49 -0400)

A slightly disorganized and somewhat naive interplanetary tourist named Twoflower joins up with a bumbling wizard and embarks on a chaotic voyage through a world filled with monsters and dragons, heroes and knaves.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,633,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible