The Colour of Magic (1983)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld (1), Discworld: Rincewind (1)

On a world supported on the back of a giant turtle, a gleeful, explosive, wickedly eccentric expedition sets out. There's an avaricious but inept wizard, a naive tourist whose luggage moves on hundreds of dear little legs, and of course 'the edge' of the planet.
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (mcenroeucsb)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (derelicious)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (glade1)
    glade1: Another "zany alternate universe," set on earth in a slightly different version of history and with forays into BookWorld, or the actual events of books.
    Ill Met in Lankhmar [collection] by Fritz Leiber (ehines)
    ehines: Pratchett, of course, is far more contemporary, but aside from the obvious parody/homage, the tone and atmosphere of Pratchett's early Discworld books are clearly inpsired by the Lankhmar stories. Well worth reading either Leiber's or Pratchett's take on ironic fantasy heroism.… (more)
    Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw (electronicmemory)
    The 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers (Tjarda)
    Tjarda: Walter Moers created the fantastic continent of Zamonia, with a great number of colourful characters. You may think it's for kids, but it is certainly not!
    Another Fine Myth by Robert Asprin (Cecrow)
    Soul Retrievers by David Burton (Skylles)
    Skylles: Fun, often silly, very creative, action fantasy
    The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (Morteana)
    Dungeon - Zenith, Vol. 1: Duck Heart by Joann Sfar (yokai)
    Un Lun Dun by China Miéville (asha.leu)
    A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (lookitisheef)
    The Toyminator by Robert Rankin (ShelfMonkey)

English (344)  French (7)  Spanish (6)  German (2)  Romanian (1)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (366)
Read it to start reading/rereading the whole series. Tried once before and gave up. Glad to have finished and can move on.
If you are new to Pratchett's Discworld and are not keen on this, don't be put off, the later ones are amazing. ( )
  Lindsay_Wallace | Apr 16, 2021 |
It's the first time I ever read Terry pratchett, and what can I say? I'm in love! It's just fantastic to read about this weird and crazy world! ( )
  TofuBuchling | Apr 14, 2021 |
heh... having just finished re-reading this, I realize I enjoyed it even more than the first read. maybe its because I saw things I missed the first time. anyway, I particularly like the ones with rincewind in them so I was in heaven here. twoflower is also a great character and the story as a whole shoots along at a fair old pace. favourite part has to be at the start with hrun and the other one(was his name weasel?) watching ankh-morpork burn :-P don't know why that bit struck me in particular but I found it very good.

yep, definitely one of my favourite discworld novels. gonna do 'moving pictures' next simply because it's one I never got round to reading, then back for a re-read of 'The light fantastic'.

Good times. ( )
  SFGale | Mar 23, 2021 |
Had I known what a wonderful and hilarious book this was, I would have read it years ago. It is full of charm and humor and a lot of subversions of the classic fantasy fiction tropes. Plus, there's Rincewind, who has become my favorite character in the book, and hopefully one that will continue to appear throughout the Discworld series.

I've already got my hands on a copy of The Light Fantastic; I'm looking forward to continuing my Discworld education ♥ ( )
  sarahlh | Mar 6, 2021 |
One of my least favorite Pratchet novels - I'm doing a completest read starting here - and it's still quite good. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |

Player, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robinson, TonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rockwell, Scottsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sahlin, OlleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In a distant and second-hand set of dimensions, in an astral plane that was never meant to fly, the curling star-mists waver and part...
Tourist, Rincewind decided, meant "idiot".
Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'.
Rincewind sighed again. It was all very well going on about pure logic and how the universe was ruled by logic and the harmony of numbers, but the plain fact of the matter was that the Disc was manifestly traversing space on the back of a giant turtle and the gods had a habit of going around to atheists' houses and smashing their windows.

Terry Pratchett has invented a phantasmagorical universe in which a blissfully naive interplanetary tourist called Two-flower joins up with a drop-out wizard whose spells only seem to work half of the time.

Together they undertake a chaotic voyage through a crazy world filled with monsters and dragons, heroes and knaves. Pratchett has taken the sword and sorcery fantasy tradition and turned it in its ear to create an entertaining and bizarre spoof.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,802,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible