dismiss

The Colour of Magic (1983)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld (1), Discworld: Rincewind (1)

On a world supported on the back of a giant turtle, a gleeful, explosive, wickedly eccentric expedition sets out. There's an avaricious but inept wizard, a naive tourist whose luggage moves on hundreds of dear little legs, and of course 'the edge' of the planet.
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (mcenroeucsb)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (derelicious)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (glade1)
    glade1: Another "zany alternate universe," set on earth in a slightly different version of history and with forays into BookWorld, or the actual events of books.
    Ill Met in Lankhmar [collection] by Fritz Leiber (ehines)
    ehines: Pratchett, of course, is far more contemporary, but aside from the obvious parody/homage, the tone and atmosphere of Pratchett's early Discworld books are clearly inpsired by the Lankhmar stories. Well worth reading either Leiber's or Pratchett's take on ironic fantasy heroism.… (more)
    Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw (electronicmemory)
    The 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers (Tjarda)
    Tjarda: Walter Moers created the fantastic continent of Zamonia, with a great number of colourful characters. You may think it's for kids, but it is certainly not!
    Another Fine Myth by Robert Asprin (Cecrow)
    Soul Retrievers by David Burton (Skylles)
    Skylles: Fun, often silly, very creative, action fantasy
    The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (Morteana)
    Dungeon - Zenith, Vol. 1: Duck Heart by Joann Sfar (yokai)
    Un Lun Dun by China Miéville (asha.leu)
    A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (lookitisheef)
    The Toyminator by Robert Rankin (ShelfMonkey)

English (323)  French (7)  Spanish (6)  German (2)  Romanian (1)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (345)
I wrestled very hard about what to rate this book. For the first half of the book it was clearly a 2 star book. Poor writing, incomprehensible plot, absurd transitions. The second half the story improved and became kind of interesting. Especially when the dragons entered the story. Then the ending threw the story firmly back to a 2 star rating. Why did i endure reading this? Normally i would have stopped by page 80, but this is the first book in a many many book series written by the late and highly esteemed Sir Terry Pratchett and i had been sufficiently warned that the first two books were not well written and could be skipped, but when i decide i want to read a series, i want to start at the beginning. I see glimpses of interesting things, and i look forward to eventually getting to the good books. ( )
  JohnKaess | Jul 23, 2020 |
For some reason I have a difficult time enjoying "humorous" fantasy or scifi. I think it's difficult to get humor across in the written medium as humor relies a lot on spoken tones and inflections to get the point across. It's something that simply can't be done on the written page.

I tried to read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy years ago and couldn't get into it. I did read a few of the MythAdventures books by Robert Asprin and enjoyed those, but they were more straightforward fantasy satires that poked fun at the fantasy tropes while not being too clever or self-aware.

Maybe that's what it is - books like these try very hard to be clever and it becomes obvious that each paragraph is striving for a punchline or clever turn of phrase that it becomes tiresome to the reader.....at least this reader.

I didn't hate this book. There's some funny stuff in here and it did make me smile on occasion. I just don't think I'm hungry for more. Maybe I'll dig out my old MythAdventures paperbacks? ( )
  spaceman5000 | Jul 23, 2020 |
People told me this wasn't the best Pratchett book to start with and they were right.

I am not a fan of high fantasy and yet I liked the whole setup of Discworld. Satire is neat. And there is a great deal of depth implied in a few broad strokes - that sort of efficiency is something I am always a fan of (decidedly UNTolkeinian). There is definitely promise here. I am satisfied that I'll never be bored by the worldbuilding.

I am a huge Wodehouse fan and so much of Pratchett's style is Wodehousian that I felt at home. I liked that too.

Rincewind is a cute character. Not compelling exactly but tolerable enough and amusing enough, and the whole conceit of a buddy-comedy-tourist-in-strange-land was ... apt. Suitable.

I wish it hadn't been so episodic. I wish there had been more suspense, more substance.

nandiniseshadri | Jul 12, 2020 |
I tried. I really did. But this book was not for me. It dragged. It had a lot of people and things happening and I felt like I needed to read a prequel book in order to understand everything that was going on. Maybe I just didn't get the funny parts of the book. I just felt lost through most of this. This is my second time attempting to read this book too and I don't think I will go back for a third time.

This book follows a wizard named Rincewind who guides Discworld's first tourist, Twoflower, around Anhk-Morpork then throughout the western lands and the great Circle Sea all the while being followed by Twoflower's luggage.

The writing was fine, I just thought the flow was a bit lopsided. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
A good introduction to Discworld!

Enjoyed the characters in this one, loved the Luggage! Thought overall didn't enjoy it as much as I did Going Postal. Even though with that said it is still a solid introduction to the magic of Discworld.

Would recommend to all lovers of shows like Monty Python & Fawlty Towers. ( )
  kymisan | Jun 23, 2020 |

Player, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robinson, TonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rockwell, Scottsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sahlin, OlleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In a distant and second-hand set of dimensions, in an astral plane that was never meant to fly, the curling star-mists waver and part...
Tourist, Rincewind decided, meant "idiot".
Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'.
Rincewind sighed again. It was all very well going on about pure logic and how the universe was ruled by logic and the harmony of numbers, but the plain fact of the matter was that the Disc was manifestly traversing space on the back of a giant turtle and the gods had a habit of going around to atheists' houses and smashing their windows.

Terry Pratchett has invented a phantasmagorical universe in which a blissfully naive interplanetary tourist called Two-flower joins up with a drop-out wizard whose spells only seem to work half of the time.

Together they undertake a chaotic voyage through a crazy world filled with monsters and dragons, heroes and knaves. Pratchett has taken the sword and sorcery fantasy tradition and turned it in its ear to create an entertaining and bizarre spoof.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,907,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible