Inferno

by Dante Alighieri

Series: The Divine Comedy (1)

20,592198146 (4.08)1 / 476
Led by Virgil, the poet is taken down into the depths and shown the seven layers of Hell and those doomed to suffer eternal torment for vices exhibited and sins committed on earth. The 'Inferno' is the first part of the 'Divine Comedy' which continues the journey through Purgatory and Paradise.
    Soul Retrievers by David Burton (Skylles)
    Skylles: Explorations of Hell

English (184)  Catalan (2)  Italian (2)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Slovak (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (197)
I had no idea this was such a small piece of literature. Yet its words have such an impact and cannot leave you unchanged. Where do your desires, hatreds, loves, habits put you when you die and face what you have been?

Dante has two other members of the series that are not as popular, Purgatorio and Paradiso. With Inferno, the three together are called "The Divine Comedy."

If this allegory still interests you I suggest reading, "Inferno" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. They have made it up to date and the series is riveting. ( )
  nab6215 | Jan 18, 2022 |
A unique classical poem in which the 13th-14th century poet Dante journeys through Hell with the roman poet Virgil as his "tour guide".

Although the version I have read is a prose translation of the original Italian, the brilliance of this literary work shines in Dante's depiction of Hell, its punishments, as well as its inhabitants, so to speak. He divides Hell into 9 circles, each of which houses those who committed a particular sin. The order of the circles reflects Dante's personal opinion on which sins should be punished more severely. Furthermore, for each of the sins mentioned he describes punishments that he thinks are just and reflective of the nature of that particular type of sin.

Most baffling of all, Dante even had the guts to place his different contemporaries (presumably political rivals or simply those whom he did not like for one reason or another), among other historical characters and mythological creatures, into the different circles of Hell as he mentions how he encounters their suffering souls throughout the journey.

This piece of work is unique and audacious. One should not forget that Dante's original was, in fact, a poem! And while this work might be blasphemous and conflicting at times with my views on Hell and Divine Judgement, I think this is still worth a read.

4/5 ( )
  nonames | Jan 14, 2022 |
READ PINKSY TRANSLATION
  RyanAF | Oct 4, 2021 |
I read this once before (with a different translator) and it didn't have near the impact it did this time. I credit Dorothy L. Sayers for that. Her translation is lively, her interpretations and notes are helpful and inspiring. Possibly the fact that I have more knowledge of Greek myths and life in general than I did the first time is also helpful. I look forward to reading the rest of Dante's Comedy as translated by Sayers. ( )
  MrsLee | Sep 20, 2021 |
I'm not intelligent enough to give this work the review it deserves. I can say that the story absolutely captivated me. I can say that it's eminently quotable. I was also pleasantly surprised to find out this is where the "abandon hope all ye who enter here" quote comes from. I also love the "These of death no hope may entertain" quote as well.

I'm also sure I missed a lot of the nuance in the story as well, which saddens me.

One final thought. It's very obvious this work served as an inspiration for Clive Barker. His work seems to draw so much from this. I just wish he'd revisited it one last time before he wrote [b:The Scarlet Gospels|23014674|The Scarlet Gospels|Clive Barker|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1426127782s/23014674.jpg|984888]. That book would have been much richer for it.

TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

When I had journeyed half of our life's way, I found myself within a shadowed forest, for I had lost the path that does not stray.
This work contains the first cantica of Dante's Comedy. Please do not combine it with other works containing the other cantica

Questa nuova opera dantesca conserva - e consolida - la fortunata idea-forza delle precedenti dello stesso autore: trasparenza e didatticità dei commenti e delle note esplicative, aggiornamento e puntualità degli interventi critici.
Ciascuno dei tre volumi si apre con una introduzione mirata alla struttura fisica e all'ordinamento morale di ciascuna delle tre cantiche. In particolare il volume dedicato all'Inferno reca anche un'introduzione globale su tutto l'oltremondo dantesco.
In ciascuno dei tre volumi compaiono tutti i canti.
Ogni canto, completo nei versi e negli apparati, è preceduto da un'introduzione di sintesi narrativa, di valutazione critica, di inquadramento storico. Ed è concluso da una o due letture critiche su temi focali di Dante e della cultura che fu sua, desunte dalle opere dei maggiori dantisti e medievisti italiani e stranieri; da una ricca bibliografia di approfondimento multidisciplinare; da una batteria di proposte di ricerca.
Spesso, al termine del canto, ricorre la rubrica dei "passi controversi" dove vengono considerati i luoghi cruciali del poema di più complessa interpretazione filologica.
Un dossier di tavole illustrate fuori testo testimonia la fortuna iconografica della Commedia nei secoli, dai primitivi maestri miniatori ai grandi pittori del '900.
Rispetto alle precedenti opere dantesche dello stesso autore è stato accresciuto il numero complessivo delle pagine, è stata notevolmente migliorata la leggibilità, sono state aggiunte nuove letture, sono state rivisitate e ampliate molte proposte di ricerca.
(piopas)
"Abandon all hope",
A journey begun in Hell,
But not ended there.
(hillaryrose7)

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140440062, 0142437220, 0140448950, 0451531396, 0141195150

Indiana University Press

2 editions of this book were published by Indiana University Press.

Editions: 0253209307, 0253332141

NYRB Classics

An edition of this book was published by NYRB Classics.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Arcade Publishing

An edition of this book was published by Arcade Publishing.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,295,150 books! | Top bar: Always visible