SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

False Colours (1963)

by Georgette Heyer

Reading Georgette Heyer is the next best thing to reading Jane Austen. -Publishers Weekly A missing twin Something is very wrong, and the Honourable Christopher Kit Fancot can sense it. Kit returns to London on leave from the diplomatic service to find that his twin brother Evelyn has disappeared and his extravagant mother's debts have mounted alarmingly. A quick-minded heiress The Fancot family's fortunes are riding on Evelyn's marriage to the self-possessed Cressy Stavely, and her formidable grandmother's approval of the match. If Evelyn fails to meet the Dowager Lady Stavely in a few days as planned, the betrothal could be off. A fortune in the balance When the incorrigible Lady Fancot persuades her son to impersonate his twin (just for one night, she promises) the masquerade sets off a tangled sequence of events that engage Kit's heart far more deeply than he'd ever anticipated with his brother's fiance-who might know much more about what's going on than she cares to reveal... A writer of great wit and style... I've read her books to ragged shreds. -Kate Fenton, Daily Telegraph Georgette Heyer (1902?1974) wrote over fifty novels, including Regency romances, mysteries, and historical fiction. She was known as the Queen of Regency romance, and was legendary for her research, historical accuracy, and her extraordinary plots and characterizations.… (more)

English (40)  German (1)  All languages (41)
For 10 days I was bereft of Goodreads to tell me what to read. So I bumbled around my online library and found, delightedly I might add, that Heyer had a book there that I hadn't read yet. So I settled in for more brain candy.

The premise had promise. But the explanation of the situation, while thorough and foolproof, took forever. And I wasn't a huge fan of Lady Denville. I was glad when she was left behind in London and appalled when she showed up anyway. It had potential but didn't quite live up to it. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
An enjoyable book that's worth reading again after a few years.

Kit and Evelyn are identical twins. Their father is dead, and their mother, a dazzling beauty, witty hostess and deeply loved by her sons and her admirers, sadly had no head at all for finance and is deeply in debt.

Evelyn hopes that a marriage of convenience will convince his uncle that he is now mature enough to access the fullness of his inheritance and enable him to clear his mother's debts, but unexpected circumstances keep him from returning home the night before the party when he is to meet the family of his prospective bride.

Trying to save Evelyn from a major social faux pax, his mother and brother agree that Kit will impersonate him at the party.

But from then on, things get complicated as Kit finds himself falling in love with the woman who is supposed to be getting engaged to his brother.
There are some very enjoyable characters in this book, especially Kit's mother and Cressy's dragon of a grandmother, but never forgetting the corpulent Sir Bonami who has adored Kit and Evelyn's mother for as long as they have known him. ( )
  JudithProctor | Jun 7, 2021 |
11% in so far and it's literally all been Kit and his mother talking through exposition. I love the tropes promised and it's a light-hearted read, but the 11% of exposition told through the same two characters talking (in the setting, the heroine hasn't even been properly introduced) is a little boring.

Update: DNF and DNR! (Did not regret) ( )
  amybear | May 8, 2021 |
I really enjoyed this one so much. Lady Denville and Sir Bonamy Ripple were a delightful pair. Light and humorous. ( )
  gabarito | Feb 28, 2020 |
Charming tale of family, siblings, and duty. One of the better Regencies I have read, with character development, humor, and a lack of the pratfalls so common with lesser books of the genre. Not a Jane Austen, but close. Well recommended. ( )
  fuzzi | Feb 21, 2020 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nash, PhyllidaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wolff-Itzinger, HelgaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Susie
It was past two o’clock when the job-chaise turned into Hill Street; and, as the watchman wending his way round Berkeley Square monotonously announced, a fine night.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,369,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible