The Obelisk Gate by N. K. Jemisin

The Obelisk Gate

by N. K. Jemisin

Series: The Broken Earth (2)

I come home in the morning light
My mother says when you gonna live your life right
Oh mother dear we're not the fortunate ones
And girls they wanna have fun
Oh girls just want to have fun
The phone rings in the middle of the night
My father yells what you gonna do with your life
Oh daddy dear you know you're still number one
But girls they wanna have fun

This is the second volume of the trilogy. To some extent it follows the structure of the first book, namely giving in turn several storylines. This time they are the stories of Essun, whom we know well from [b:The Fifth Season|19161852|The Fifth Season (The Broken Earth, #1)|N.K. Jemisin|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1386803701s/19161852.jpg|26115977], her daughter Nessun and Guardian Schaffa. The book is the great continuation of the story, highly recommended.
  Oleksandr_Zholud | Jan 9, 2019 |
This series is so good. It's hard (post-apocalyptic, people turning on each other, legacy of hatred and enslavement and revenge, lots of pain and loss) but all I want to do is read it. So creative, so different from anything I've read before, the way it's paced, the bits and pieces that are revealed slowly and purposefully, the strong characters. It's brilliant.

Trigger warnings for father figures and adults that harm children. ( )
  chavala | Dec 29, 2018 |
The story here continues very much directly out of volume 1 of the trilogy. You'll want to have read volume 1 before this book.

The story here is on a much smaller canvas than volume 1. The cast of characters here is smaller, and the set of places. It's pretty much all about Essun and her daughter Nassun , who are each holed up in communities and not too far from each other, though not in contact to any significant degree.

The focus here shifts from external action to internal action. Essun and Nassun both are discovering ways to sense and act upon magical networks, enabling a wider range of action than allowed by the much more common coarse thermodynamic methods of orogeny.

We also get much more insight in this volume about the big picture, who the global players are, how things got to be the way they are, how the players want to move forward. The picture is still not clear but major components are emerging from the mist. ( )
1 vote kukulaj | Dec 27, 2018 |
Holy CRAP everyone needs to read this series. The world building is insane and you get ridiculously invested in these characters ( )
  baeguevara | Dec 26, 2018 |
This is the second book in The Broken Earth series by Jemisin. Like the first book in this series, The Obelisk Gate was the 2017 winner of the Hugo Award.

I feel that these books offer a series of snapshots into the work that Jemisin has created. As with most fantasy novels, one has to pay attention throughout the entire series in order to pick up on the deeper narratives that are taking place. While these are well written and I enjoyed reading them, neither book has really stuck with me so I'm craving Book 3, as has happened to me with other series.

Still this is a stellar series and especially if you are a fan of epic fantasy novels. Book 1 was stronger than Book 2 as The Obelisk Gate has a feeling of a lot of posturing and set up for Book 3. I'm looking forward to seeing how the series ends. ( )
  cathishaw | Dec 20, 2018 |

N. K. Jemisinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chan, WendyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miles, RobinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paul, TimMap artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To those who have no choice but to prepare their children for the battlefield
Hmm. No, I'm telling this wrong.

The season of endings grows darker, as civilization fades into the long cold night.

Essun — once Damaya, once Syenite, now avenger — has found shelter, but not her daughter. Instead there is Alabaster Tenring, destroyer of the world, with a request. But if Essun does what he asks, it would seal the fate of the Stillness forever.
Far away, her daughter Nassun is growing in power - and her choices will break the world.

"Essun--once Damaya, once Syenite, now avenger--has found shelter, but not her daughter. Instead there is Alabaster Tenring, destroyer of the world, with a request. But if Essun does what he asks, it would seal the fate of the Stillness forever. Far away, her daughter Nassun is growing in power--and her choices will break the world"--… (more)

N. K. Jemisin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,681,677 books! | Top bar: Always visible