Jane Steele (2016)

by Lyndsay Faye

9197117,815 (4.05)180
'Reader, I murdered him.' JANE STEELE is a brilliant Gothic retelling of JANE EYRE from Edgar-nominated Lyndsay Faye, for fans of LONGBOURN and PRIDE AND PREJUDICE AND ZOMBIES.'I loved it' - Elly Griffiths ** JANE STEELE HAS BEEN NOMINATED FOR AN EDGAR AWARD FOR BEST NOVEL 2017 ** Like the heroine of the novel she adores, Jane Steele suffers cruelly at the hands of her aunt and schoolmaster. And like Jane Eyre, they call her wicked - but in her case, she fears the accusation is true. When she flees, she leaves behind the corpses of her tormentors. A fugitive navigating London's underbelly, Jane rights wrongs on behalf of the have-nots whilst avoiding the noose. Until an advertisement catches her eye. Her aunt has died and the new master at Highgate House, Mr Thornfield, seeks a governess. Anxious to know if she is Highgate's true heir, Jane takes the position and is soon caught up in the household's strange spell. When she falls in love with the mysterious Charles Thornfield, she faces a terrible dilemma: can she possess him - body, soul and secrets - and what if he discovers her murderous past?… (more)

Didn't get far enough into this book to accurately rate it, but I could tell the reading of it wasn't going to be pleasurable for me, so I called it quits. (I love Jane Eyre too much to embrace the idea of a serial-killer-Jane Eyre-wannabe. To each her own!)
  bookwyrmqueen | Oct 25, 2021 |
The story of Jane Steele (born in the 1830s) as told my herself with reference to her favourite book -Jane Eyre. Yes 'Reader, I murdered him' - the difference in their stories is that she does kill.
The more I read of this book the more I enjoyed it and the characters.
Will look out of more of her books.
A NetGalley book ( )
  Vesper1931 | Jul 29, 2021 |
Jane Steele is a young woman in nineteenth century England, who reads a book called Jane Eyre and sees in it some similarities in their circumstances, inspiring her to write down an account of her own life. And there are similarities, from the cold aunt to the harsh boarding school to her later job as a governess. But while they share similar personalities -- both are loving and loyal and brave -- Steele has a decidedly different reaction to mistreatment, which results in her needing to avoid a detective named Sam Quillfeather. She's still shocked by what she finds in her employer's cellar, but her willingness to take action will be necessary to save that same employer from the man from the East India Company.

This novel is written in the style of a Victorian novel and despite the protagonist's propensity to needful murders, retains that feel through out. I enjoyed it enormously. Jane is a wonderful character and the way the novel echos and diverges from its inspiration was a lot of fun for this Jane Eyre fan. This is well-written entertainment. ( )
  RidgewayGirl | Jul 12, 2021 |
4.5* This was a little slow in the middle but I loved the plot, character development, and the big reveal! ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
It’s been a long time since I read Jane Eyre, so I cannot speak to how closely Lyndsay Faye’s new novel follows the structure of that classic novel, but it is very clear that Jane Steele is an adaptation, with a twist: Jane’s actions in the book point toward psychopathic tendencies – she’s a murderess. I was intrigued, and a little nervous, about reading this book, because I wasn’t sure how the author would portray the protagonist, based on the description. However, it soon becomes clear that Jane only murders bad people, typically men who are abusive to people she cares about. The fact that she cares for so many of the people she encounters in the novel lead me to realize that Jane isn’t really a psychopath at all, but a tool for vengeance in a time when justice, especially for women, was rare. The story follows her early years, banishment to a cruel boarding school, homelessness, brief employment writing the last words of executed prisoners, to finally working incognito as a governess at the estate Jane was supposed to inherit from her family. I enjoyed reading this Jane’s story, but the introduction of Jane Steele’s familiarity with the actual Jane Eyre novel seems out of place to the narrative. It’s a fine adaptation, but reading that Jane Steele is a fan of the novel Jane Eyre brought a discordant feeling to this reader. Other than that one negative, I enjoyed getting to know Jane Steele, who survives a childhood of horrors, but gets her revenge in the end. Other Jane Eyre adaptations I’ve come across recently are Ironskin by Tina Connolly, a historical fantasy, a YA title called simply Jane by April Lindner and last year’s Re Jane by Patricia Park.

1 vote KellyWellRead | Dec 17, 2020 |

Was inspired by

This book is humbly dedicated to Miss Eyre and Mr. Nickleby.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,471,134 books! | Top bar: Always visible