Jane Steele by Lyndsay Faye

Jane Steele (2016)

by Lyndsay Faye

I really thought I'd hate this book, but it turns out that this was a really good book! As a total nerd-fan of "Jane Eyre," the references made me smile. ( )
  kat_the_bookcat | Feb 7, 2019 |
Thanks NetGalley for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review

Jane Steele’s childhood was not an easy one. She has never known her father, her mother had a very delicate nature, her aunt Patience treated her like a spoiled brat and her cousin Edwin taunted and bullied her.
When Jane was nine years old her mother committed a suicide and Jane’s life started crumbling to pieces. Aunt Patience’s decision to send Jane to a boarding school triggered a series of events that our poor heroine will try to keep in secret.
Fifteen years later Jane sees an advertisement - her aunt has died and her childhood home has a new master: Mr. Charles Thornfield, who seeks a governess. Burning to know if she is in fact the rightful heiress, Jane takes the position under the false name, and learns that Highgate House is full of strange new residents — Mr. Thornfield, an army doctor returned from the Sikh Wars, the Sikh butler Mr. Sardar Singh, and her ward Sahjar. In a short time Jane falls in love with Mr. Thornfield and she faces a terrible dilemma: can she possess him—body, soul, and secrets—without revealing her own murderous past?
When I have read the description here on Goodreads my first thought was “I have to read this no matter what”. When I have made a request on NetGalley my only thought was “Please! Please! Let me read this book before it will be published”. When I have seen a message with words “You were approved. You can download the book” I was beside myself with joy. But what I have never thought that it will be as interesting and fascinating as it was.
This is my first encounter with Lyndsay Faye. And I’m already in love with her. It is a shame I haven’t read her other books (but I’ll set right this mistake).
Everything and everyone in this book was so vivid and alive that I almost dissolved in it. I kept forgetting that I live in the 21st century not in the 19th.
I will definitely buy a hardcover copy of this book, so I can keep it my hands and feel the pages.
And I will certainly recommend this book to my friends and even strangers who will listen to me.
  Shadow_Sandy | Jan 12, 2019 |
This is startlingly good.

I was hesitant to read it, because Jane Eyre is one of my favorite books of all time, and I didn't like the thought of Jane Eyre as a gory serial killer. However, the descriptions of this book don't do it justice: it is not as simple as "Jane Eyre as a serial killer." First of all, it is not meant to be a retelling of Jane Eyre. In fact, the titular narrator reads Jane Eyre with the same devotion that all Bronte fans do, often quoting and ruminating on the book, and is keenly aware of the differences between herself and Jane Eyre. Secondly, I would not call Jane Steele a serial killer - when I think of serial killers, I think of people who kill for the pleasure of it, but that is not the case here. The "serial killer" description led me to expect gratuitous bloodbaths, but that is not at all what happens.

Instead, this is a delightful Gothic novel, which follows the same contours as Jane Eyre, but in such a way that knowing Jane Eyre's story adds to the suspense instead of detracting from it. Since it is a Gothic novel, parts of it are ridiculously fantastic in ways that might make you want to roll your eyes, but are totally in keeping with Gothic conventions, and, as the author acknowledges in the afterward, in history as well. But it is also ridiculously fun, and a delightful homage to Jane Eyre.

I was blown away by the writing. Faye's writing pays homage to Bronte's without mimicking it, and there are several times when she outright winks at the reader. You can tell Faye had fun writing the book, and that makes it fun to read. On top of that, she manages to pull on the emotional heartstrings almost as much as Jane Eyre, which is no mean feat. ( )
  Gwendydd | Dec 28, 2018 |
This Jane is Jane Eyre with a spine of steel, self-awareness to the stratosphere and a really, really kickass remix of Brontë's masterpiece with a heavy dose of meta since the characters all live in a world where Jane Eyre, the book, exists. All of the characters are strong, clever, self aware and all shades of grey. The twists and turns make this a wonderful read. ( )
  writerlibrarian | Dec 26, 2018 |

Was inspired by

This book is humbly dedicated to Miss Eyre and Mr. Nickleby.

A reimagining of Jane Eyre as a gutsy, heroic serial killer, from the author whose work The New York Times described as “riveting” and The Wall Street Journal called “thrilling.”

“Reader, I murdered him.”

A sensitive orphan, Jane Steele suffers first at the hands of her spiteful aunt and predatory cousin, then at a grim school where she fights for her very life until escaping to London, leaving the corpses of her tormentors behind her. After years of hiding from the law while penning macabre “last confessions” of the recently hanged, Jane thrills at discovering an advertisement.  Her aunt has died and her childhood home has a new master: Mr. Charles Thornfield, who seeks a governess.

Burning to know whether she is in fact the rightful heir, Jane takes the position incognito, and learns that Highgate House is full of marvelously strange new residents—the fascinating but caustic Mr. Thornfield, an army doctor returned from the Sikh Wars, and the gracious Sikh butler Mr. Sardar Singh, whose history with Mr. Thornfield appears far deeper and darker than they pretend. As Jane catches ominous glimpses of the pair’s violent history and falls in love with the gruffly tragic Mr. Thornfield, she faces a terrible dilemma: can she possess him—body, soul, and secrets—without revealing her own murderous past?

A satirical romance about identity, guilt, goodness, and the nature of lies, by a writer who Matthew Pearl calls “superstar-caliber” and whose previous works Gillian Flynn declared “spectacular,” Jane Steele is a brilliant and deeply absorbing book inspired by Charlotte Brontë’s classic Jane Eyre.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 11 Oct 2015 09:01:30 -0400)

"A reimagining of Jane Eyre as a gutsy, heroic serial killer, from the author whose work The New York Times described as "riveting" and The Wall Street Journal called "thrilling.""--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,082,453 books! | Top bar: Always visible