These Heroic, Happy Dead: Stories by Luke…

These Heroic, Happy Dead: Stories

by Luke Mogelson

A challenging, but important short story collection relaying the stories of those who've gone to war and what it's like to live with it after. ( )
  LivingReflections | Dec 2, 2018 |
I received an advance reader's uncorrected proof of THESE HEROIC, HAPPY DEAD as a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway Winner and in exchange for writing and posting my honest review of the book.

As a civilian with little to no exposure or education as to the myriad of alterations - involuntary, intentional, voluntary, intended, predicted, potential, probable, unknown, and expected - the human psyche undergoes when directly involved and indirectly affected by war, I am filled with sincere gratitude to Luke Mogelson, His courageous act of service as an Army Infantry medic throughout several combat tours in Afghanistan coupled with his uniquely skilled observation, recording and sharing of stories that demonstrate the severe, profuse, and lasting consequences for all people, soldiers and civilians alike, of wars conceived and fought as part of a planned destruction of countries, cities, homes, and land, and all the while set on destroying the very belief systems and rights that protect and separate humanity from other life forms. Any intelligent person knows that in order to make it home from the battlefield, one is forced to undergo transformations in thought processes and value systems. once you have looked into the pit, you can never undo the damage or remove that part of you that enabled you to cause the damage. The acknowledgment of the consequences without whitewash, sugarcoat or hero announcements provides a spectacular window of respect for the battle scars that will never fully heal. I cannot be more resolute in my belief and desire for the American civilian population to educate itself and expend more energy and attention into greater awareness and stronger support to the troops that served America in its wars.

The book's title is a line from the e.e. cummings poem "next to of course god america i." Further display of the breadth and scope of Luke Mogelson's character.. ( )
  MelissiaLenox | Jan 13, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As brilliant a collection of stories as I have read. I am not a prolific reader of war stories per se, but I liked this is much as anything from Tim O'Brien or Kurt Vonnegut, and more than any of Hemingway, Greene, etc.

What resonated with me with how hard all of Mogelson's characters were trying to have control of their lives. Most failed to varying degrees, but all of them made an effort. It gave an air of tragedy to most of the stories, but there was humor in stories too.

The story that resonated with me most deeply was one about a son sent to live with his father for the summer, and taking the measure of the man, the son gains a new perspective.

A great collection of short stories. I'd recommend them to anyone. ( )
  jscape2000 | May 1, 2017 |
I received this book for free through Bookstr's giveaways.

Like most short story collections, there were some stories I liked and some that I didn't. My personal favorites were "To the Lake," "Sea Bass," and "Visitors".

The author did a good job of showcasing how war can affect people and their families.

Overall, it was well written and I enjoyed it. ( )
  jessicadelellis | Apr 19, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm a fan of short stories and I find stories that revolve around the effects of war fascinating, so Mogelson's collection really struck all the right chords for me. Mogelson does an excellent job of portraying the depth and span of war through the lens of PTSD as he explores various forms of abuse that veterans and their loved ones suffer.

Each story is told from the perspective of the veteran. This point of view adds strong emotion to each story. I was consistently surprised out how painfully emotional, yet different each story was in this collection.

I can see how the stories might get overwhelming if someone was looking for a diverse selection of topics, but if you're looking for a realistic, abrasive view into the world of veterans this is a must read. ( )
  MarcusH | Mar 8, 2017 |

With his harrowing debut, Luke Mogelson provides an unsentimental, unflinching glimpse into the lives of those forever changed by war. Subtle links between these ten powerful stories magnify the consequences of combat for both soldiers and civilians, as the violence experienced abroad echoes through their lives in America.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Luke Mogelson's book These Heroic, Happy Dead was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,135,454 books! | Top bar: Always visible