them by Joyce Carol Oates

them (1969)

by Joyce Carol Oates

Series: Wonderland Quartet (3)

8881914,494 (3.63)111
Recently added bychance1callahan, private library, ibinu, jr33rpm, e-zReader, BrklynOutreach

English (17)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (19)
I started reading this book on a couple of prior occasions. Now, I've read it through; and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Oates really creates in-depth characters. The reader begins to really care about what happens. Very good book! ( )
  JosephKing6602 | Dec 21, 2017 |
I found this book to be very captivating and enjoyed Joyce Carol Oates writing very much. The books describes the turmoil of this time period very vividly and with believable characters. It is not a warm and fuzzy book but one that makes you uncomfortable with the reality of these times. I am definitely going to read some more of her books as I have found this book to be incredibly good. ( )
  EadieB | Jan 19, 2016 |
Joyce Carol Oates' "them" is a really engrossing novel, with so many layers that I think I would get even more out of it if I read it a second time.

The novel is set mainly in the slums of Detroit, following three members of the Wendall family -- Loretta and two of her children, Jules and Maureen from the 1930's to the 1960's. They live a rather downtrodden and poverty stricken life, and it's interesting to see where the years take them.

Oates' look the family was all the more interesting given her author's note indicating this story was based on people she knew.... (which she later says was just a literary device.) I liked the "us" vs. "them" set up, and how the title applies in so many ways -- to women, to the poor, to the Wendall family. Overall, this is a great book. ( )
  amerynth | Nov 5, 2015 |
Her first hit book. I enjoyed her later ones more. ( )
  S_Trenti | Jul 11, 2015 |
The first (and my very all-time favorite) of many of her books that I've read, in the 80s no less...even had her sign my old, torn, used-up copy at a Book Fair, in Vermont!...her characters live and breathe, she inhabits their very souls...truly a masterful storyteller...G. ( )
  Gemma. | Apr 26, 2013 |
She focuses on story, with a style that cajoles the reader by regularly switching viewpoints within single paragraphs. The art is almost invisible. Her style allows the reader to focus on story without the intrusion of unfamiliar language, so artfully done, an exercise in event, an adventure in domestic darkness.

Oates, Joyce Carolprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Johnson, GregIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Showalter, ElaineIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
...because we are poor Shall we be vicious? -- The White Devil -- John Webster
For my husband, Raymond
One warm evening in August 1937 a girl in love stood before a mirror.

Joyce Carol Oates’s Wonderland Quartet comprises four remarkable novels that explore social class in America and the inner lives of young Americans. As powerful and relevant today as it on its initial publication, them chronicles the tumultuous lives of a family living on the edge of ruin in the Detroit slums, from the 1930s to the 1967 race riots. Praised by The Nation for her “potent, life-gripping imagination,” Oates traces the aspirations and struggles of Loretta Wendall, a dreamy young mother who is filled with regret by the age of sixteen, and the subsequent destinies of her children, Maureen and Jules, who must fight to survive in a world of violence and danger.

Winner of the National Book Award, them is an enthralling novel about love, class, race, and the inhumanity of urban life. It is, raves The New York Times, “a superbly accomplished vision.”

Them is the third novel in the Wonderland Quartet. The books that complete this acclaimed series, A Garden of Earthly Delights, Expensive People, and Wonderland, are also available from the Modern Library.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:37 -0400)

"A novel about class, race, and the horrific, glassy sparkle of urban life, them chronicles the lives of the Wendalls, a family on the steep edge of poverty in the windy, riotous Detroit slums. Loretta, beautiful and dreamy and full of regret by age sixteen, and her two children, Maureen and Jules, make up Oates' vision of the American fam-ily--broken, marginal, and romantically proud. The novel's title, pointedly uncapitalized, refers to those Americans who inhabit the outskirts of society--men and women, mothers and children--whose lives many authors in the 1960s had left unexamined. Alfred Kazin called her subject "the sheer rich chaos of American life." The Nation wrote, "When Miss Oates' potent, life-gripping imagination and her skill at narrative are conjoined, as they are preeminently in them, she is a prodigious writer." -- publisher discription (September 2006).… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,502,030 books! | Top bar: Always visible