The House of the Seven Gables (1851)

by Nathaniel Hawthorne

7,013101922 (3.51)1 / 352
The curse of Mathew Maule descends on seven generations of the inhabitants of an old New England house.

English (99)  Spanish (2)  All languages (101)
Please note that I gave this book half a star and rounded it to 1 star on Goodreads.

Bah. Bah a thousand times. I have no idea why I started reading this. I think for the Halloween Book Bingo and I ended up switching it out. This thing was painful to read. I don't even know what to tell you besides if you must read this, just pace yourself since trying to force read this thing was not fun at all. At least the last 10-15 pages were just about Project Gutenberg though. I am going to complain though that my library does not have this as an e-book to download, I had to read it via Overdrive which means I had to either read this via computer or my cell. I am so used to downloading my books to my Kindle for IPAD this was another reason why it took me so long to finish.

The long and short of it about this book is following a family and their ancestral home in New England taking place in the late 1800s. At first with describing the home and how the family (Pyncheon) came to own the land that the home was built on. At first I was intrigued since it sounded like something supernatural was taking place. But then the book jumps to the current resident of the home ( Hepzibah, say that 10 times fast) and I lost interest. There are additional characters here and there, but nothing really works. The best part of the book is when Hawthorne describes the grounds and house that sits there.

Other than the house, the whole book moves at a plodding pace.

We have the characters of Phoebe Pyncheon who moves in with her cousin Hepzibah and of course has all of the men falling for her.

I don't know what to say really besides the fact the flow was terrible throughout. Nothing happens and there's a lot of well maybe this is haunted (the colonel's chair) but nothing is really sad for certain.

I wish that the setting had come more alive for me while reading this book. I just couldn't picture things well at all and had to look up pictures of the house to get things more fixed in my mind while reading.

The ending was a big shrug from me. I am so glad I can finally stop seeing this thing on my currently reading list. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
It is often enlightening to read something once again after a few decades.

I came across Merrill’s English Texts, The House of the Seven Gables, and was delighted to find more than just the original book. Published for use in schools, there are questions and topics for study after the main book as well as an amusing price list. Although we have more literature that has been added to our list of important works in the past 100 years, the questions for students show the depth of thought put into composition, style and other topics of discussion. One of my favorites is under Style where it asks the reader to state the moral of the story and to […Find the verse in the Bible and] Learn it.

I particularly enjoyed the notes in the back explaining certain words and expressions, some of which may have been new ideas at the time but are obvious to anyone today. The explanation of “Jim Crow” had much more to be added in the years after 1907 but I was amazed to find that the term was once applied to gingerbread men. I found it enlightening in terms of history and in terms of understanding my own New England roots.

We are often so taken with new works that we have forgotten the humor and beautiful writing of authors who create what are deservedly called classics. The style is not for everyone, since our fast-paced world today doesn’t allow for lengthy setting of scenes or taking in details. Even the lulls in the story are filled with interesting bits of historical and political observations that are relevant to current events.

Since we seem to have some time at this moment in history, we could channel surf our days away, or we can take advantage of the online resources and finally get around to reading those books we have wanted to read for so long. ( )
  PhyllisHarrison | Mar 22, 2020 |
In depth look at what remains of the Pyncheon family who live in the storied house. The secret of Maule's curse is revealed, and Clifford is exonerated. ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
I liked the book. A nice mixture of family history, old tales, relations that once went bad & never turned for the better, a touch of love, family relations. An entertaining book, which surprised me, because 1001-books of that age are usual not so okay. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Feb 2, 2020 |
Hawthorne wrote this book in the warm aura of his masterpiece The Scarlet Letter. This book dwells on the theme of whether a Puritan history - replete with its sad stories like the Salem Witch Trials - will haunt the New England culture forever or whether New England can overcome such sad austerity.

The hope for the future lies in the characters of Phoebe and Hargrove, who end up getting married in this story. They are open to new ideas and open to learning from the past. They seek to experiment in new things like gardening while researching the past. They are Renaissance people for another era. They might not have the best education, but they are interested in learning and growing as people. They alone can free the New England mind (and mind you this book was written in the nineteenth century) from sterility and stagnation based on pride.

It is interesting to read this classic in my current setting in the modern American South. The New England mind of the nineteenth century is a distant and foreign concept to me. A miniature picture of its norms before the Civil War is interesting. While the Southern mind was becoming more entrenched, the New England mind was figuring out new ways to grow and expand its virtue. Puritanical idealism still exists in the American South. Perhaps we need to listen to Hawthorne more to overcome our stagnation in our contemporary setting. Perhaps we need our own Hawthorne to overcome the horrors of slavery and Jim Crow in our history and so to embrace growth.
  scottjpearson | Jan 25, 2020 |

Peters, DonadaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schirmer, DukeAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stern, Milton R.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wineapple, BrendaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Half-way down a by-street of one of our New England towns, stands a rusty wooden house, with seven acutely peaked gables facing towards various points of the compass, and a huge, clustered chimney in the midst.
This is the main work for The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne. It should not be combined with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.
ISBN 0809598752 is a Wildside Press publication.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102065, 1400110793

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,564,210 books! | Top bar: Always visible