The Daybreakers by Louis L'Amour

Tye and Orrin Sackett head west from the Tennessee hills, to make their fortune as well as find a home for their ma. They have their share of trials with herding longhorns, fighting Utes, and standing up to lawless gunmen.

This was the first published book about the Sackett family, and I think it’s one of the best. The situations are genuine, the characters are fleshed-out, real, and it was a great pleasure to spend time with them and their riding partners again for this reread. ( )
  fuzzi | Jan 5, 2019 |
Having never read L'Amour before, I wasn't sure how I was going to take to him. I grew up on the American TV Western, loved Lonesome Dove, and Robert B. Parker's various forays into the Old West, and Mary Doria Russell's Doc, but I expected L'Amour to be more "pulpy", y'know? The kind of stuff teenaged boys read before there was James Bond and Star Trek? Wellllll.....it is, and it really isn't.

This is the story of two of the Sacketts--Orrin and his younger brother Tyrel (Tye), who leave their difficult existence in the Tennessee hills to go west in search of a piece of land where they can move their mother and brothers to live in better circumstances. Naturally, they run into the usual hardships and challenges along the way, but there were way fewer stereotypes than I feared; our hero's (that would be Tye) attitude toward women, Mexicans and Native Americans is nuanced enough. His moral compass is nearly faultless, although he does have to struggle with it--again, just enough. His ability to bounce back from encounters with flying lead stretches credulity pretty far. But, as with all the best genre fiction, the pages just seemed to turn themselves. ( )
  laytonwoman3rd | Aug 26, 2018 |
This is the first "Sackett" novel I have read in a long time and it turned out to be a re-read, and a quick one at that. But that is OK. The story is a good one, a story of two brothers who go west from the Tennessee hills to make something of themselves and find a home for "ma". By the end they are somewhere around Santa Fe. Really though it is the story of one Sackett, Tyrel, who tells us this story, which starts about 1867, as that year appears near the beginning. L'Amour lays things on a little too thick for me at times. And Tyrel seems to talk different than anyone else, with sight and mayhap being peculiar recurring affectations. "Two hundred dollars was a sight of money, those days, cash money being a shy thing." "Mayhap that was the moment when I changed from a boy into a man."

Tyrel is more honest than Abe Lincoln and he may not be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, but he seems to be able to avoid getting killed where most men would not. I like the overall story a lot, although the end is a little sad. I doubt westerns will ever be my 'go to' genre for entertainment, but they are fine for a read now and then.

Some readers think that "show don't tell" is very important to a good story. I sit on the fence on that issue - sometimes telling is fine and serves a purpose. This novel however, for me mind you, is an example of excess telling. Normally it doesn't bother me but here it did. For example, we are told told told things about Tye's brother Orrin and we see scant few examples of what we are told. Orrin many times comes across as something of a big galoof making poor choices and not someone predestined to become the governor of New Mexico or whatever. Although this is Tye's story and his telling, this big buildup and supposed predestination of Orrin results in some sad consequences. ( )
  RBeffa | Aug 20, 2018 |

Genre: Western
Pages: 224
Format: Digital Edition

Synopsis:

Tyrel and Orrin Sackett leave the hills of Kentucky/whatever after killing a nogood scum. Joining a cattle herder, both young men begin the process of growing up and becoming respectable men. After learning how to herd cows, they set out to create their own herd. During this time they come across a mexican Don and his granddaughter and a huckster and his daughter from New England. Ty and Orrin eventually become lawman and mayor. When Orrin, who is now married to the blonde new englander runs for state senate, her father hires killers to take out Orrin to put his own man in power. It is up to Ty to keep his brother's hands clean protect him and rescue the Don's granddaughter.

Just a day's work for a Sackett.

My Thoughts:

I mainly remember this from the movie, The Sacketts, starring Tom Selleck and Sam Elliot. You know what, there really is nobody who more fits the image of the rough and tough Sackett brothers than those two. Those guys are who I think of when it comes to your generic Western characters.

Anyway, this book covers a good amount of time. Enough for both boys to go from cowpunchers to established politician and lawman. Don't blink or you'll miss a couple of months. Part of the disconnect is that the cattle drives take months and months but only take a couple of paragraphs.

There is a lot of fighting, like you'd expect in a western. A couple of one on one shootouts, lots of Ty facing down various men, some killers, some just hardheads who needed a bit of fear put into their lives to give them perspective. The swell of civilization westward seems to happen quickly as well, but much like what we see happening on the internet today with torrent and sharing sites, it was inevitable. The speed at which humanity can communicate determines how fast things will change to accommodate the greatest number.

It was also very interesting to see L'Amour characterize someone from New England. And uptight scammer. It made me laugh because the kind of person from New England who couldn't stay in New England would be exactly that. Spot on.

★★★☆ ½ ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Jun 19, 2017 |
What a story! I read this decades ago when I was in high school; it was my introduction to Westerns. I loved it then and I love it now. In the Sackett series, this introduces my favorite Sacketts, Tyrel and Orrin (Tell is mentioned).

This book has it all: Bad Guys (and Gal), Good Guys, Guys Who Choose Wrongly, and True Love. Since I moved to Texas and had the opportunity to see New Mexico, I can see how well L'Amour described the land. It was a different time with different attitudes and L'Amour makes the reader see that clearly.

If you've never read a Western, then this is the perfect introduction to the genre. It is well worth reading. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Feb 12, 2017 |
My brother, Orrin Sackett, was big enough to fight bears with a switch.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553276743, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:15 -0400)

Tyrel Sackett was born to trouble, but vowed to justice. After having to kill a man in Tennessee, he hit the trail west with his brother Orrin. Those were the years when decent men and women lived in fear of Indians, rustlers, and killers, but the Sackett brothers worked to make the West a place where people could raise their children in peace. Orrin brought law and order from Santa Fe to Montana, and his brother Tye backed him up every step of the way. Till the day the job was done, Tye Sackett was the fastest gun alive. A magnificent saga of American fiction, the Sacketts series is one of the greatest treasures by legendary storyteller Louis L'Amour. In The Daybreakers, L'Amour spins the tale of two brothers who couldn't be more different -- yet remain bound by their restlessness of spirit. "RIDE WITH THE LAW, NEVER AGAINST IT". You had to push to start a fight with Orrin Sackett, but not with his brother, Tyrel. Tye had been born to trouble, and the night he stepped between his brother and a bullet changed the course of both their lives forever. Now their trail pointed west, to Santa Fe, a frontier town on the edge of violence -- but justice had to come before putting down roots in a lawless land. Orrin took on the job of marshal, while Tye commanded fear and respect even without a badge. But when a loose end from their past turned up, one brother was forced to revert to his old ways -- if the other's dreams were to be realized.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,421,923 books! | Top bar: Always visible