A Rising Man

by Abir Mukherjee

Series: Wyndham and Banerjee (1)

In the days of the British Raj in 1919, Captain Sam Wyndham, a former Scotland Yard detective newly arrived in Calcutta, is confronted with the murder of a British official who was found with a note in his mouth warning the British to leave India.
    Jack of Spies by David Downing (karatelpek)
    karatelpek: Similar time period. Not as good as A Rising Man though

English (27)  French (1)  All languages (28)
I really liked this book. The mystery was good and the characters were great. And I really liked that it took place in India in 1919 which added a lot of atmosphere to the story. ( )
  DidIReallyReadThat | Oct 14, 2021 |
Amazing police procedural that has the feel of a mystery written when this novel was set. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Aug 3, 2021 |
It was good. The setting was new and intriguing and the crime and method of solving was interesting due to the time period and available tools of the time.
But it was a bit slow as far as books like this go. There was a lot of detail about the world and environment that may not be needed. I do feel the pace of the book matched the pace of the world it was set in. It wasn’t a book I got lost in and couldn’t put down. It was a slow methodical read. ( )
  m.reoch | Nov 16, 2020 |
While the idea of mysteries set in the Calcutta of 1919 seems promising, and there are some good bits, this book doesn't quite jell. The newcomer in charge of investigating of the murder of a civil servant fairly high up in the colonial administration is structured in a fairly obvious way but what damages the book for me is that I felt no sense of place, only the relentless emphasis on the stifling heat of April. ( )
  quondame | Aug 3, 2020 |
Loved it. Great story. Great writing. ( )
  jeanbmac | Jul 28, 2020 |

Mukherjee, Abirprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bubb, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Plassmann, JensTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, MalkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Calcutta seems full of 'rising men.'
Rudyard Kipling,
'City of Dreadful Night'
In loving memory of my father,
Satyendra Mohan Mukheerjee
At least he was well dressed.

Opium, Calcutta
Bordel, un Anglais tué,
Et une belle métis
(tiercelin)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,106,026 books! | Top bar: Always visible