A Rising Man by Abir Mukherjee

A Rising Man

by Abir Mukherjee

On paper this book should be a real set of cliches - a 'damaged detective', a police procedural, a post-WW1 novel, a view of the British Raj - and yet it works really well. What Mukherjee has done is take the best of each genre and mixed it together with a clever plot and the sum is greater that it has any right to be. ( )
  pluckedhighbrow | Jun 26, 2017 |
When I first picked up A Rising Man and began to read, I read it as I would any other historical mystery. I soon fell headfirst into a major roadblock: the slow-as-treacle pace. Fortunately, before I gave up and moved to another book, I realized that the setting of this book is absolutely fabulous and well worth the price of admission.

Mukherjee has written this book in such a way that readers get to see Calcutta in 1919 from several different points of view. It is a city-- and a country-- just beginning its quest for freedom in earnest. The vast majority of Indians do not wish to be a part of the British Raj. There are revolutionaries showing us why India wants its freedom. There are British bureaucrats who-- above all else-- wish to maintain their precarious status quo. There are Indians like Sergeant Banerjee who want the British out but want to learn how to govern and how to fight crime first. And into this mix comes Sam Wyndham, who's survived a long meat-grinder of a war with few illusions left. He's fought side by side with brave and honorable men of all races and creeds, so he doesn't always see situations from his superiors' points of view. And speaking of points of view, there are several that some readers may find uncomfortable.

Once I settled down to read this book as historical fiction rather than as a mystery, I was much happier. Yes, the mystery is a good one, and Sam Wyndham is a finely drawn character, but it is the city of Calcutta that steals the show. I'm looking forward to Abir Mukherjee's next book with a great deal of interest. ( )
  cathyskye | May 8, 2017 |
This is excellent historical fiction about 1919 India, and a pretty good whodunit murder mystery. It's well plotted and well paced.

There's sufficient historical detail to provide background without being overwhelming. The main protagonist is a transplanted Scotland Yard detective who is sufficiently rough around the edges to be a believable character. His sidekick "Surrender-not" is an earnest British educated Indian who comes from a high-caste family. Together they make a good pair of investigators. There's a fair bit of local colour about Calcutta, and the culture of the British who govern India at the time. This is a good start for a series of crime fiction novels. ( )
  BrianEWilliams | Aug 15, 2016 |
On a sultry Calcutta morning a body is found in a part of that city not often frequented by people of the status of the murdered man.
He was dressed in evening wear and as Captain Wyndham examined him a note was found stuffed into his mouth with the words - "No more warnings. English blood will run in the streets. Quit India!"
So begins possible terrorism and the involvement of the Lieutenant Governor of the State.
An edge of the seat novel which kept me guessing all the way.
Hope to read more from this author soon.
I was given a digital copy of this book by the publisher Random House via Netgalley in return for an honest unbiased review. ( )
  Welsh_eileen2 | Apr 4, 2016 |
Captain Sam Wyndham finds himself embroiled in a murder investigation almost immediately upon his arrival in Calcutta. He finds himself at odds with the security force directed by the Lieutenant Governor. The dead official is part of the L-G's team, and Wyndham feels that they want to sweep everything under the carpet rather than investigate properly.

Tensions run high in the British Raj in 1919. White people receive preferred treatment while the Indian native population are treat as inferiors, despite their qualifications. So the novel provides interesting insights into colonialism. During the novel the Amritsar Massacre takes place and tensions are very much heightened.

One of the tasks Wyndham has been charged with is to root out corruption in the Calcutta Police Force and so he is not even sure who he can trust. A Mail train is held up but nothing is taken although a railway employee is battered to death. So what were they looking for? Were the attackers insurgents?

A complex plot, well handled, with enough historical details to provide authenticity. Wyndham and his sergeant Surrender-not Banajee make an interesting sleuthing duo. ( )
  smik | Mar 16, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,667,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible