SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

Chapterhouse: Dune

by Frank Herbert

Series: Dune (6), Dune: complete chronology (20)

The desert planet Arrakis, called Dune, has been destroyed. Now, the Bene Gesserit, heirs to Dune's power, have colonized a green world--and are turning it into a desert, mile by scorched mile.

English (32)  Italian (1)  All languages (33)
This is the most difficult of the Dune books to review. On the one hand, it's extremely slow owing to the extraordinary amount of Bene Gesserit internal monologues. On the other hand, it finally reveals the inner-workings of some of the biggest mysteries in the series. Finally, it leaves us with an incredible set of cliffhangers.

For what it is, the book is superb. Were there a proper follow up by Frank himself, I'd say this would be one of people's favorites. As a finale to the series, it sucks. ( )
  jamestomasino | Sep 11, 2021 |
The last Dune book (there are a couple more based on his notes finished by others, but I’m happy skipping those; the prequels by the same people were so so bad).

Overall, decent, but wouldn’t be a particularly good standalone book; mainly just a way to wrap up the series. From reading Wikipedia plot summaries of the final two books, it gets really dumb from there.

Great audiobook, although really long (same as the book). I’d like there to be a good movie which covered books 6-8 and wrapped everything up. ( )
  octal | Jan 1, 2021 |
Dune: Rahibeler Meclisi'ni okudum, böylece Dune Serisi'nin tamamını okumuş oldum. 5. kitapta başlayan bir olay örgüsü vardı, 6. kitapta bu önceki olay örgüsü güzelce noktalanmış. Yazar yazamadığı 7. kitaba birtakım gizemler bıraksa da 6. kitapta çoğu sorumun cevabını aldım ve bu kitap benim için güzel bir final kitabı oldu. ( )
  Tobizume | Jun 9, 2020 |
As with much of Frank Herbert's other writing, [b:Dune|234225|Dune|Frank Herbert|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1434908555s/234225.jpg|3634639] excluded, this one is a novel notable and worthy on the realm of ideas. He never stints on ideas. He might get slighly sloggish and lose the thread of the plot while we plod around in the ideas, but there's always great scenes and always great blow-out reveals. The original classic of Dune has none of these faults. It is a classic and imminently readable from page one and is still my favorite book of all time.

So what about this one? Is it worth reading for everyone else? It's book 6 in the very impressive and automatically Epic series that encapsulates over five thousand years from the events of Dune, ending with the centric viewpoint of the Bene Gesserit after the tyranny of Paul's son and the great diaspora that scattered all the peoples of the galaxy after his death.

The planet Dune is effectively destroyed at the end of Heretics of Dune and only a single sandworm and some sandtrout was lifted from the planet to be the seed of a new place where the Spice can be produced. This is especially important after the Bene Tleilaxu were also destroyed or partially submerged under the auspices of the Gesserit after the Honored Matres rampaged through the known universe.

This book takes up the new clones of Teg and Duncan, but mostly revolves around the conflicts between the Bene Gesserit and the Honored Matres. Each side has taken prisoners and tries to subvert the captives. The Bene Gesserit are more than slightly more successful at the task than the "knock-off Bene Gesserit" Honored Matres, despite the others being wildly more dominant and deadly in combat.

What we have is a novel that reminds me a great deal of the later Wheel of Time books with Egwaine in the White Tower, only, I have to point out that Chapterhouse Dune came out first. :) We know that Jordan was a big fan of Dune and stole a tone of great ideas from Herbert, so this shouldn't be too surprising, but rather than a 5-6 enormous spread of books, Herbert accomplishes a success-from-below story in a single novel. :)

The teaching and the subversion is the real main story in Chapterhouse. Don't let the cool space battles and space-opera fool you. This is a story of fantastic women doing fantastic things, the undisputed masters of the galaxy, and a massive conflict between the returning diaspora offshoot of the Bene Gesserit and the main line that stayed behind.

On that level, it's still a great tale despite my other issues with it.

Anything this complex and full of great observations about human nature, politics, and even love should not be discounted lightly. It's super dense with fantastic ideas on every page and even though it will never be considered a standalone classic, it's a very, very worthy novel to read. Especially in conjunction with [b:Heretics of Dune|117|Heretics of Dune (Dune Chronicles #5)|Frank Herbert|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1388186151s/117.jpg|3634575].

And, I assume, [b:Hunters of Dune|20249|Hunters of Dune (Dune Chronicles #7)|Brian Herbert|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1429681489s/20249.jpg|4911] and [b:Sandworms of Dune|42434|Sandworms of Dune (Dune Chronicles #8)|Brian Herbert|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1442092604s/42434.jpg|41917] carry on the tradition well since I'm going to plow through them and continue the storyline set up here. :) The cliffhanger at the end of Chapterhouse was a doozy. :)

Let's see if Herbert's son and Anderson make the ideas into something more traditional, eh? I can hope. They've had a lot of practice in the universe before attempting the big one. Herbert's death put a stop to the story and most of us fans were extremely upset. Hell, I remember reading this book the first time in '89 and wishing I could have written the sequel to it. I can't be alone in this. :) I can only hope that expectations live up, etc., etc. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
This is a book best read immediately after Herbert's preceding volume, Heretics of Dune. This I did not do, which may have been the reason why I did not like it as much as his previous books in the series. Then again, it may have also been the repetitiveness of the book, as it seemed by the point that he had run out of interesting ideas and was just recycling the material from his earlier books. This is why reading it for me was like "Blah blah Bene Gesserit, blah blah gholas, blah blah sandworms, blah blah Duncan Idaho." Perhaps at a later point I will return to it and have a more favorable opinion, but at this point I would only recommend reading it to those who want to wrap up the original series. ( )
  MacDad | Mar 27, 2020 |
Chapterhouse: Dune is a worthy addition to this durable and deservedly popular series... Against all odds, the universe of Dune keeps getting richer in texture, more challenging in its moral dilemmas. The only way to appreciate Mr. Herbert's achievement is to start with the first book and work your way through, so that when one character says, ''I love you too much, Murbella. That's my Agony,'' you will get the full, shuddery import of that capital A.

Frank Herbertprimary authorall editionscalculated
Goodfellow, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schoenherr, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Those who would repeat the past must control the teaching of history

------------------Bene Gesserit Coda
When the first ghola baby was delivered from the first Bene Gesserit axlotl tank, Mother Superior Darwi Odrade ordered a quiet celebration in her private dining room atop Central.

The desert planet Arrakis, called Dune, has been destroyed. The remnants of the Old Empire have been consumed by the violent matriarchal cult known as the Honored Matres. Only one faction remains a viable threat to their total conquest--the Bene Gesserit, heirs to Dune's power.

Under the leadership of Mother Superior Darwi Odrade, the Bene Gesserit have colonized a green world on the planet Chapterhouse and are turning it into a desert, mile by scorched mile. And once they've mastered breeding sandworms, the Sisterhood will control the production of the greatest commodity in the known galaxy--the spice melange. But their true weapon remains a man who has lived countless lifetimes--a man who served under the God Emperor Paul Muad'Dib....

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,344,484 books! | Top bar: Always visible