Chapterhouse: Dune

by Frank Herbert

Series: Dune (6), Dune: complete chronology (15)

The desert planet Arrakis, called Dune, has been destroyed. Now, the Bene Gesserit, heirs to Dune's power, have colonized a green world--and are turning it into a desert, mile by scorched mile.

English (30)  Italian (1)  All languages (31)
Dune: Rahibeler Meclisi'ni okudum, böylece Dune Serisi'nin tamamını okumuş oldum. 5. kitapta başlayan bir olay örgüsü vardı, 6. kitapta bu önceki olay örgüsü güzelce noktalanmış. Yazar yazamadığı 7. kitaba birtakım gizemler bıraksa da 6. kitapta çoğu sorumun cevabını aldım ve bu kitap benim için güzel bir final kitabı oldu. ( )
  Tobizume | Jun 9, 2020 |
As with much of Frank Herbert's other writing, [b:Dune|234225|Dune|Frank Herbert|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1434908555s/234225.jpg|3634639] excluded, this one is a novel notable and worthy on the realm of ideas. He never stints on ideas. He might get slighly sloggish and lose the thread of the plot while we plod around in the ideas, but there's always great scenes and always great blow-out reveals. The original classic of Dune has none of these faults. It is a classic and imminently readable from page one and is still my favorite book of all time.

So what about this one? Is it worth reading for everyone else? It's book 6 in the very impressive and automatically Epic series that encapsulates over five thousand years from the events of Dune, ending with the centric viewpoint of the Bene Gesserit after the tyranny of Paul's son and the great diaspora that scattered all the peoples of the galaxy after his death.

The planet Dune is effectively destroyed at the end of Heretics of Dune and only a single sandworm and some sandtrout was lifted from the planet to be the seed of a new place where the Spice can be produced. This is especially important after the Bene Tleilaxu were also destroyed or partially submerged under the auspices of the Gesserit after the Honored Matres rampaged through the known universe.

This book takes up the new clones of Teg and Duncan, but mostly revolves around the conflicts between the Bene Gesserit and the Honored Matres. Each side has taken prisoners and tries to subvert the captives. The Bene Gesserit are more than slightly more successful at the task than the "knock-off Bene Gesserit" Honored Matres, despite the others being wildly more dominant and deadly in combat.

What we have is a novel that reminds me a great deal of the later Wheel of Time books with Egwaine in the White Tower, only, I have to point out that Chapterhouse Dune came out first. :) We know that Jordan was a big fan of Dune and stole a tone of great ideas from Herbert, so this shouldn't be too surprising, but rather than a 5-6 enormous spread of books, Herbert accomplishes a success-from-below story in a single novel. :)

The teaching and the subversion is the real main story in Chapterhouse. Don't let the cool space battles and space-opera fool you. This is a story of fantastic women doing fantastic things, the undisputed masters of the galaxy, and a massive conflict between the returning diaspora offshoot of the Bene Gesserit and the main line that stayed behind.

On that level, it's still a great tale despite my other issues with it.

Anything this complex and full of great observations about human nature, politics, and even love should not be discounted lightly. It's super dense with fantastic ideas on every page and even though it will never be considered a standalone classic, it's a very, very worthy novel to read. Especially in conjunction with [b:Heretics of Dune|117|Heretics of Dune (Dune Chronicles #5)|Frank Herbert|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1388186151s/117.jpg|3634575].

And, I assume, [b:Hunters of Dune|20249|Hunters of Dune (Dune Chronicles #7)|Brian Herbert|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1429681489s/20249.jpg|4911] and [b:Sandworms of Dune|42434|Sandworms of Dune (Dune Chronicles #8)|Brian Herbert|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1442092604s/42434.jpg|41917] carry on the tradition well since I'm going to plow through them and continue the storyline set up here. :) The cliffhanger at the end of Chapterhouse was a doozy. :)

Let's see if Herbert's son and Anderson make the ideas into something more traditional, eh? I can hope. They've had a lot of practice in the universe before attempting the big one. Herbert's death put a stop to the story and most of us fans were extremely upset. Hell, I remember reading this book the first time in '89 and wishing I could have written the sequel to it. I can't be alone in this. :) I can only hope that expectations live up, etc., etc. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
This is a book best read immediately after Herbert's preceding volume, Heretics of Dune. This I did not do, which may have been the reason why I did not like it as much as his previous books in the series. Then again, it may have also been the repetitiveness of the book, as it seemed by the point that he had run out of interesting ideas and was just recycling the material from his earlier books. This is why reading it for me was like "Blah blah Bene Gesserit, blah blah gholas, blah blah sandworms, blah blah Duncan Idaho." Perhaps at a later point I will return to it and have a more favorable opinion, but at this point I would only recommend reading it to those who want to wrap up the original series. ( )
  MacDad | Mar 27, 2020 |
Frank Herbert’s Chapterhouse: Dune begins shortly after the events of Heretics of Dune, with the Bene Gerrerit hiding away from the Honored Matres, who seek their destruction. The Duncan Idaho ghola from the previous novel works to train a ghola of Miles Teg, the Bashar who died when the Honored Matres burned Dune in the previous novel. Under the leadership of Mother Superior Darwi Odrade, the Bene Gesserit plan for war while also scattering as many sisters carrying shared memory as possible in order to preserve their order. The Bene Gesserit also keep Murbella, an Honored Matre, as a captive, working to de-program her as they learn more about their enemy from her. Dar also oversees the transformation of Chapterhouse using sandtrout from Arrakis in order to create a new Dune.

Herbert’s ecological focus continues to permeate his science fiction, such as in an interaction in which Dar questions the ghola of Miles Teg about whether people own a planet or whether it owns them (pg. 23). Through the Bene Gesserit and their genetic memory, he also examines the nature of history. For example, continuing the practice of beginning chapters with quotes, Herbert uses a quote he attributes to the Bashar Teg: “The writing of history is largely a process of diversion. Most historical accounts distract attention from the secret influences behind great events” (pg. 80). Further, Herbert cautions about the rise of autocracy, “It was a pattern the Sisterhood had long recognized: the inevitable failure of slavery and peonage. You created a reservoir of hate. Implacable enemies. If you had no hope of exterminating all of these enemies, you dared not try. Temper your efforts by the sure awareness that oppression will make your enemies strong. The oppressed will have their day and heaven help the oppressor when that day comes. It was a two-edged blade. The oppressed always turned, the stage was set for another round of revenge and violence – roles reversed. And reversed and reversed ad nauseam” (pg. 160). And, finally, Odrade says, “Many histories are largely worthless because prejudiced, written to please one powerful group or another” (pg. 232).

As he nears Chapterhouse: Dune’s conclusion, Herbert begins introducing radical changes. The Bene Gesserit successfully transform Chapterhouse into a new Dune, brining back the worms (pg. 290). Their desperation in the face of dwindling numbers from the war with the Honored Matres has, however, lead them to “cyborg” those near death, slowly breaking the proscriptions of the Butlerian Jihad (pgs. 295-296). The Honored Matres employ sophisticated machinery of their own that almost certainly involves thinking machines (395-396). And, through Murbella’s undergoing of the spice agony and killing of the Great Honored Matre, the Bene Gesserit blend their leadership with the Honored Matres. Sheeana, Duncan, and a handful of others do not accept this, though, and depart Chapterhouse. Sheeana’s control of the worms promises to open a new threat to Bene Gesserit order, much like Muad’Dib and Leto II did thousands of years prior.

Herbert intended to write a seventh Dune novel to wrap up these plotlines, but he passed away soon after publishing this book. Twenty years later, Brian Herbert worked with Kevin J. Anderson to adapt his notes for Dune 7 as Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune, but this was Frank Herbert’s final entry in the Dune saga. He concludes the book with thoughts he wrote shortly after his wife’s passing, remarking on life and his appreciation for the happy memories. Even though Frank Herbert never finished the saga, his reflections offer a way to appreciate the six Dune novels he shared with the world rather than miss the one he never completed. ( )
  DarthDeverell | Nov 17, 2019 |
I've always found Dune enjoyable though the philosophy of life grabs me only weakly. Glad to have finally finished of the original quintet. ( )
  brakketh | Oct 3, 2019 |
Chapterhouse: Dune is a worthy addition to this durable and deservedly popular series... Against all odds, the universe of Dune keeps getting richer in texture, more challenging in its moral dilemmas. The only way to appreciate Mr. Herbert's achievement is to start with the first book and work your way through, so that when one character says, ''I love you too much, Murbella. That's my Agony,'' you will get the full, shuddery import of that capital A.

Frank Herbertprimary authorall editionscalculated
Goodfellow, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schoenherr, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Those who would repeat the past must control the teaching of history

------------------Bene Gesserit Coda
When the first ghola baby was delivered from the first Bene Gesserit axlotl tank, Mother Superior Darwi Odrade ordered a quiet celebration in her private dining room atop Central.

AR 5.4, 22 Pts

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,715,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible