Eon

by Greg Bear

Series: The Way (1), The Eon Series (1)

3,472432,618 (3.7)1 / 75
The 21st century was on the brink of nuclear confrontation when the 300 kilometer-long stone flashed out of nothingness and into Earth's orbit. NASA, NATO, and the UN sent explorers to the asteroid's surface...and discovered marvels and mysteries to drive researchers mad. For the Stone was from space--but perhaps not "our "space; it came from the future--but perhaps not "our" future; and within the hollowed asteroid was Thistledown. The remains of a vanished civilization. A "human"--English, Russian, and Chinese-speaking--civilization. Seven vast chambers containing forests, lakes, rivers, hanging cities... And museums describing the Death; the catastrophic war that was about to occur; the horror and the long winter that would follow. But while scientists and politicians bickered about how to use the information to stop the Death, the Stone yielded a secret that made even Earth's survival pale into insignificance.… (more)
    Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (santhony)
    santhony: The original, and still the best, of those science fiction tales centered upon huge, inter-stellar habitats.
    Ringworld by Larry Niven (santhony)
    santhony: If you enjoy the science fiction genre featuring huge, interstellar habitats, this fits the bill.
    The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F. Hamilton (santhony)
    santhony: This behemoth of a trilogy is chock full of original, scientific theory and principles, including huge, sentient, space habitats.

English (41)  Italian (1)  All languages (42)
Imagine going into space and into an asteroid, to explore the empty cities and libraries of an advanced civilization, with the added spice that you have to figure things out to save the Earth. I remember being blown away by the frame-story, and thinking I'd happily trade the rest of my lifespan to live just one year of that. ( )
  nicdevera | Oct 1, 2020 |
This is science fiction in the tradition of Arthur C. Clarke, indeed when an asteroid appears in a nova-like burst of radiation and sails neatly into an orbit round the Earth and Moon, one is instantly reminded of Rendez-vous with Rama, but this artifact is not alien. The Clarke tradition is to take an Idea then build a story round it; this can lead to novels that really don't have a good story or even much of a story at all, for example, Niven's Ringworld. With Eon, Bear does not suffer this problem; he tells a story that leads straight from extrapolation of the consequences of the Idea he had. It's a clever story and never boring but its one weakness is that it uses several major characters in order to cover all aspects and veiwpoints of the narrative. This splits one's sympathies so that the reader never fully invests in one character's interests - this leaves one too much outside the story, looking in. ( )
  Arbieroo | Jul 17, 2020 |
Tja, weet eigenlijk niet wat ik van dit boek moet zeggen.

Greg Bear is over het algemeen een goede SF schrijver, maar zelfs bij het einde van dit boek kon ik nog steeds niet echt in het verhaal komen. Ligt dat aan mij, of aan de schrijver. Boek had niet echte spanning, en was verwarrend. Toch geef ik 2 sterren, in de hoop dat het volgende deel mij meer zal boeien.

Tweede keer:
Net als bij het eerste keer lezen kan ik ook nu niet tot een andere conclusie komen, dit boek was het dus niet. Jammer. ( )
  EdwinKort | Oct 18, 2019 |
I like a lot of Bear's books, and this one was no exception. What I really loved about it was the Russian / American "cold war" kind of motif running through much of it while putting that storyline in an entirely new environment. Some of the themes seemed unnecessary (neo-humans of various types, for example), and Bear seems to like to push Heinlein-esque views on psychology and sexuality as natural progressions which while I might not argue, sometimes also feel unnecessary.

Either way, this was an epic story that seemed mostly well contained in this book. I'll be quite interested to see how he follows it up in the series! ( )
  Mactastik | Sep 4, 2019 |
Written in 1985, Eon is set in the futuristic world of 2005. The United States and the Soviet Union are at each other’s throats and about to bring the world to nuclear disaster. An asteroid filled with evidence of a mind-bending alternate human future arrives in Earth’s atmosphere. Does the squabble over the asteroid help to bring about nuclear disaster or was it in our fate? Like a lot of hard science fiction, I had fun reading the discovery and clash of civilizations. Once the nitty gritty of trying to save the world gets under way, my interest flags. Bear does a wonderful job with female characters, something many of his hard SF peers struggle with. ( )
  Seafox | Jul 24, 2019 |

Bear, GregAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mänttäri, EeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, RonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rudnicki, StefanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
L'envoi: "Unless you know where you are, you don't know who you are." --Wendell Barry
For Poul and Karen with much appreciation and love.
"It's going into a wide elliptical Earth orbit," Judith Hoffman said.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,466,766 books! | Top bar: Always visible