The Miracle of Mindfulness (1975)

by Thich Nhat Hanh

In this beautiful and lucid guide, Zen master Thich Nhat Hanh offers gentle anecdotes and practical exercise as a means of learning the skills of mindfulness--being awake and fully aware. From washing the dishes to answering the phone to peeling an orange, he reminds us that each moment holds within it an opportunity to work toward greater self-understanding and peacefulness.… (more)
    10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works--A True Story by Dan Harris (alaskayo)
    alaskayo: Harris, a news anchor who famously broke down from stress on camera, waded through thousands of pages of new age nonsense in order to find something 'real' -- meditation. A great, funny memoir detailing his experiences with learning meditation, often feeling like an idiot in doing so.… (more)
    Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life by Thich Nhat Hanh (anthonywillard)
    Being Peace by Thich Nhat Hanh (anthonywillard)

English (46)  Italian (1)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (49)
This classic text on meditation from Buddhist monk and renown peace activist, Thich Nhat Hanh is just as essential and powerful as everyone says it is. Written as a long letter to a fellow monk in Vietnam from his exile in France in 1974, this is a readable mix of practical suggestions and anecdotal teachings with a grounding in traditional Buddhism. It includes exercises and advice on focusing and harnessing your breath, sitting to meditate, washing your dishes and drinking your tea, compassion for others, meditation on death, and (one of my favorites) meditation as a pebble sinking down to rest at the bottom of a pond. Emblematic of Nhat Hanh's focus on "engaged Buddhism," these mindfulness practices are done with the goal of positively affecting change in the world and with other people and not just for the benefit of the practitioner.

Mindfulness practice is mainstream to the extreme these days, and I think if you find a way of digging into meditation and mindfulness that works for you, you should go for it. While I had dabbled in meditation prior to my metastatic breast cancer diagnosis, I've been deliberately digging a little deeper and have become interested in learning more about the Buddhist foundations of the practice. This book is a must read if you are travelling down that same road, and it is one I know I'll return to often. ( )
  kristykay22 | Jul 16, 2021 |
thought provoking and encouraging.
an excellent collection of guidance and advice. ( )
  mjhunt | Jan 22, 2021 |
I love Thich Nhat Hanh. The material in this book seems to be an important source for Eckhart Tolle's Power of Now. In this book, he provides the reasons for mindfulness and gives a multitude of practical examples for practicing mindfulness in your own life. Helpful.

I did feel, however, the last parts were painfully repetitive. I get it... meditative... but sheesh. ( )
  nrt43 | Dec 29, 2020 |
One of the best available introductions to the wisdom and beauty of meditation practice.
  PAFM | Oct 19, 2019 |
Hanh has some interesting and useful techniques for meditation and mindfulness. He lost me a bit when he says that Tolstoy is a saint, but otherwise it's an inspiring read. (December 09, 2006) ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |

Thich Nhat Hanhprimary authorall editionscalculated
Forest, JamesAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ho, MobiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, MarkForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yesterday Allen came over to visit with his son Joey.
Joy and peace are the joy and peace possible in this very hour of sitting. If you cannot find it here, you won't find it anywhere.
...the true enemies were not people, but ideology, hatred, and ignorance.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Thich Nhat Hanh's book The Miracle of Mindfulness, Gift Edition: An Introduction to the Practice of Meditation was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Beacon Press

2 editions of this book were published by Beacon Press.

Editions: 0807012394, 0807012327

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,949,986 books! | Top bar: Always visible