New York 2140

by Kim Stanley Robinson

"A new vision of the future from Kim Stanley Robinson, the New York Times bestselling author of science fiction masterworks such as the Mars trilogy, 2312, and Aurora. The waters rose, submerging New York City. But the residents adapted and it remained the bustling, vibrant metropolis it had always been. Though changed forever. Every street became a canal. Every skyscraper an island. Through the eyes of the varied inhabitants of one building Kim Stanley Robinson shows us how one of our great cities will change with the rising tides. And how we too will change"--… (more)

This is the second KSR-novel I didn't finish. The other one was 'Shaman' (my review).

'New York 2140' has an interesting premise, unfortunately the many descriptions of New York, a city I do not know (that well at all), were a bit cumbersome to me, even though they do help to build the setting, show the lay of the land.

In addition, each character was hard to connect with or even distinguish from the other. Because of the episodic character of the structure, I can't even tell any more who's who after about 100 pages. A website like https://www.kimstanleyrobinson.info/content/new-york-2140 contains very useful information that helps to better appreciate the story. Why isn't this kind of data added by default to his books?

So yes, another DNF, while I still have other KSR-novels on my TBR-pile: 'The Mars Trilogy' + 'The Martians', '2312', and 'Aurora'. 😕

Then again, the current circumstances aren't that favourable for such a concentrated read, so I might give the book a new chance later, much later. Or not. ( )
  TechThing | May 19, 2022 |
Expected to like. After a couple chapters told myself "it must get better." A couple more chapters and I gave up. Flat characters, overly dependent on a central gimmick that's not really as interesting as it could be. It's also horribly depressing to imagine day traders still at it in 2140. Maybe a little to much like reality to be fun? ( )
  wideblacksky | Mar 19, 2022 |
I picked this book by chance at the library and then spent the next week reading it obsessively. It's 613 pages long, so it actually took me a while to get through. It was just perfect, laser focused while being huge and sprawling, hopeful so but painfully aware of human nature. It's got its problematic items (ahem, only identifying race when some is non-white? Aren't we passed that yet?) but still, just read it. ( )
  Venarain | Jan 10, 2022 |
When I picked this book up, I was prepared for it to lean a lot more on the "apocalypse" of the "climate apocalypse" scenario. I was pleasantly surprised that it tended more towards optimism. The situation the world is in throughout the novel is frankly terrible. A future we will likely be seeing within this century if things don't turn around soon. Nevertheless, people are still living. There's hope for some kind of future with humans in it. Once we get past our greed for fake money, we might be able to make something of ourselves and take care of this planet. ( )
  dwarrowly | Nov 29, 2021 |
Really good dystopian-type adventure, well it seems more an adventure than a thriller to be honest. ( )
  expatscot | Jul 27, 2021 |
„New York 2140“ ist, bei aller Freude an brillanten futurologischen Extrapolationen, ein sehr engagierter Roman über das Hier und Heute.

New York 2140 is a towering novel about a genuinely grave threat to civilisation.

Kim Stanley Robinsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Martiniere, StephanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schmidt, JakobTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Toren, SuzanneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Whoever writes the code creates the value."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,118,048 books! | Top bar: Always visible