Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling

Just So Stories (1902)

by Rudyard Kipling

5,71258743 (4.02)1 / 180

English (57)  Swedish (1)  All (58)
Okay, I know that there is a racist element to this book, which I agree is terrible and hard to understand. That being said, I did like the stories and I enjoyed sharing them with my daughter. They are a compilation of "how things came to be", like how the camel got it's hump, how the elephant got it's trunk, and how to make your wives fall into line (umm..., that last one might also be not so appropriate...). Kipling uses a lot of repetition which my daughter loved, and was really effective in the storytelling. And his use of addressing the reader as "my Best Beloved" equally was effective with her (and me too, if I'm being truthful!) Again, full acknowledging that some of this is not appropriate now, or then, I still think this is a good read to share with your children. Maybe just do some editing first! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Apr 11, 2017 |
A lovely gift from a lovelier friend. ( )
  Heather_Brock | Nov 23, 2016 |
Done in the style of fables, but about the length of traditional fairy tales (think Grimm or Perrault). The animals in the fables encompass creatures from all over the world (India, Africa, Amazon off the top of my head). I'd say about half the stories captures my attention (and maybe imagination). It feels a bit dated, even though nothing really sets it off (no outmoded language or horrible stereotypes). A decent collection. ( )
  benuathanasia | Sep 29, 2016 |
GR:
GL: 6.9
DRA:
Lexile: 1190L
  Infinityand1 | Aug 2, 2016 |
Charming. Another book I'll read to my children if I ever decide to have any. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
My copy of Just So Stories, in it's brick-red cover with the Elephant's Child straining away with all his might to escape the jaws of the Crocodile on the banks of "the great grey-green, greasy Limpopo River", the Bi-Coloured-Python-Rock-Snake in close attendance was the first book I truly loved. ... Kipling has an Aesopian understanding of animals, our dealings with them and our curious interrelatedness, interdependence, how we can learn about our own strange behaviour, our vanities and our foolishness through them and through our relationship with them.

Just så-historierna liknar de ursprungsmyter som är avsedda att förklara hur något från början har gått till. Berättelsen om katten öppnar undan för undan världar, som vi förstår när vi blir äldre, medan barn direkt tar till sig djursagan.

Han skriver med lätt hand och bitvis är det i bästa brittiska nonsenstradition, men i sin helhet förstås långt bort från Lewis Carrolls självklara genialitet. Barnen roas med vilda påhitt, verser, upprepningar och konstigheter.

I god sagoanda förväntar man sig att landa mjukt i sensmoralens klokskap. Men hos Kipling landar man hårt. När den lilla elefantungen som ständigt blir bestraffad för sin frågvishet tillägnar sig sin snabel, då är det för att ge igen för den misshandel han utstått.

[B]erättelserna är utformade med en sådan språklig uppfinningsrikedom – väl tillvaratagen av översättaren – att även mycket frågvisa lyssnare torde frestas att hålla tyst för att inte missa nästa fantasieggande formulering.

Kipling, Rudyardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moser, BarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Puttapipat, NirootIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reiner, CarlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, HelenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the sea, once upon a time, O my Best Beloved, there was a Whale, and he ate fishes.

Twelve stories about animals and insects including How the Camel Got His Hump; How the First Letter was Written, and How the Rhinoceros Got His Skin.

Kipling's own drawings, with their long, funny captions, illustrate his hilarious explanations of How the Camel Got His Hump, How the Rhinoceros Got His Skin, How the Armadillo Happened, and other animal How's. He began inventing these stories in his American wife's hometown of Brattleboro, Vermont, to amuse his eldest daughter--and they have served ever since as a source of laughter for children everywhere.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:52 -0400)

Twelve stories about animals, insects, and other subjects include "How the Camel Got His Hump." "The Butterfly That Stamped," and "How the Alphabet Was Made."

Current discussions

the illustrators of the "Just So Stories" in Tattered but still lovely

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141183624, 0141321628, 0141328398, 0141442409

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 140010064X, 1400108675

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,899,110 books! | Top bar: Always visible