Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling

Just So Stories (1902)

by Rudyard Kipling

4,95851923 (4.03)159

English (50)  Swedish (1)  All languages (51)
Cute stories of how the animals got to be who they are... ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
Rudyard Kipling's collection of fairy tales and fables formed the majority of my childhood literary diet.
I can't tell you how much I was fascinated by his (maybe somewhat secondhand) myths of a primordial world, where men and animals competed and coexisted in more than one sense, where ancient untold wonders and unspoken secrets abound, and where a man helps his daughter design the English alphabet.
Don't let my rose-colored glasses fool you - it's really an amazing work. Stop reading this review and pick up a copy. ( )
  zhyatt | Aug 9, 2014 |
reading aloud in bed - the best way to experience these tales again - tuning down or out the intermittent imperial bigotry - always a Kipling flaw, the one "time...[pardons]" him for, according to Auden, because he writes well - and particularly well for children.

CSRodgers | May 3, 2014 |
Written into my memory, with rhythm repeats and long words ( )
  Elder_Adok | Mar 2, 2014 |
Available as a free audiobook at https://librivox.org/ ( )
  captbirdseye | Feb 18, 2014 |
My copy of Just So Stories, in it's brick-red cover with the Elephant's Child straining away with all his might to escape the jaws of the Crocodile on the banks of "the great grey-green, greasy Limpopo River", the Bi-Coloured-Python-Rock-Snake in close attendance was the first book I truly loved. ... Kipling has an Aesopian understanding of animals, our dealings with them and our curious interrelatedness, interdependence, how we can learn about our own strange behaviour, our vanities and our foolishness through them and through our relationship with them.

Kipling, Rudyardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mordvinoff, NicolasIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morris, JohnnyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moser, BarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reiner, CarlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the sea, once upon a time, O my Best Beloved, there was a Whale, and he ate fishes.

Twelve stories about animals and insects including How the Camel Got His Hump; How the First Letter was Written, and How the Rhinoceros Got His Skin.

Kipling's own drawings, with their long, funny captions, illustrate his hilarious explanations of How the Camel Got His Hump, How the Rhinoceros Got His Skin, How the Armadillo Happened, and other animal How's. He began inventing these stories in his American wife's hometown of Brattleboro, Vermont, to amuse his eldest daughter--and they have served ever since as a source of laughter for children everywhere.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:56 -0400)

Twelve stories about animals, insects, and other subjects include "How the Camel Got His Hump." "The Butterfly That Stamped," and "How the Alphabet Was Made."

Legacy Library: Rudyard Kipling

Rudyard Kipling has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Rudyard Kipling's legacy profile.

See Rudyard Kipling's author page.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141183624, 0141321628, 0141328398, 0141442409

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,292,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible