Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling

Just So Stories (1902)

by Rudyard Kipling

4,731None989 (4.04)146

English (49)  Swedish (1)  All languages (50)
Written into my memory, with rhythm repeats and long words ( )
  Elder_Adok | Mar 2, 2014 |
Available as a free audiobook at https://librivox.org/ ( )
  captbirdseye | Feb 18, 2014 |
  lulaa | Jan 12, 2014 |
The stories are still quite entertaining to read. I will definitely read it to my children should I have any ( )
  Beholderess | Jan 4, 2014 |
Very enjoyable to read aloud with the girls...we especially loved the very chatty and contemporary-sounding captions. The stories were pretty varied in terms of holding my interest (the alphabet one was interminable), and of course the racism and imperialism are difficult to read, but the ones that I liked I *really* liked (the whale and the camel and the cat). And the girls now know about the Elephant's Child, infinite-resource-and-sagacity, and O My Best Beloved, so my work here is done. :) ( )
  MelissaZD | Jan 1, 2014 |
My copy of Just So Stories, in it's brick-red cover with the Elephant's Child straining away with all his might to escape the jaws of the Crocodile on the banks of "the great grey-green, greasy Limpopo River", the Bi-Coloured-Python-Rock-Snake in close attendance was the first book I truly loved. ... Kipling has an Aesopian understanding of animals, our dealings with them and our curious interrelatedness, interdependence, how we can learn about our own strange behaviour, our vanities and our foolishness through them and through our relationship with them.

Kipling, Rudyardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mayan, EarlIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morris, JohnnyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moser, BarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reiner, CarlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Twelve stories about animals and insects including How the Camel Got His Hump; How the First Letter was Written, and How the Rhinoceros Got His Skin.

Kipling's own drawings, with their long, funny captions, illustrate his hilarious explanations of How the Camel Got His Hump, How the Rhinoceros Got His Skin, How the Armadillo Happened, and other animal How's. He began inventing these stories in his American wife's hometown of Brattleboro, Vermont, to amuse his eldest daughter--and they have served ever since as a source of laughter for children everywhere.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:56 -0400)

Twelve stories about animals, insects, and other subjects include "How the Camel Got His Hump." "The Butterfly That Stamped," and "How the Alphabet Was Made."

Legacy Library: Rudyard Kipling

Rudyard Kipling has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Rudyard Kipling's legacy profile.

See Rudyard Kipling's author page.

Nineteen editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Four editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141183624, 0141321628, 0141328398, 0141442409

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,508 books! | Top bar: Always visible