Nobody Knows My Name by James Baldwin

Nobody Knows My Name (1961)

by James Baldwin

These are essays about American identity, black identity and writing, and while they didn't inspire me as much as Baldwin's novels I've read I enjoyed them. ( )
  mari_reads | Jun 25, 2016 |
From the introduction:
"In America, the color of my skin had stood between myself and me; in Europe, that barrier was down. Nothing is more desirable than to be released from an affliction, but nothing is more frightening than to be divested of a crutch. It turned out that the question of who I was was not solved because I had removed myself from the social forces which menaced me - anyway, these forces had become interior, and I had dragged them across the ocean with me. The question of who I was had at last become a personal question, and the answer was to be found in me."

"The questions which one asks oneself begin, at last, to illuminate the world, and become one's key to the experience of others. One can only face in others what one can face in oneself."
  lgaikwad | Apr 26, 2014 |
Nobody Knows My Name is a collection of essays continued from Notes From a Native Son. While the essays are less biting than those in Notes they are just as honest and clear about the Negro condition at the time of Baldwin's writing. He has a sharp eye for the social and economical position of the time. As he was frequenting Paris I find it interesting that for Baldwin the question of color did not exist in Europe whereas in America he was afraid to listen to Bessie Smith or even touch watermelon. It is in Europe that Baldwin discovered what it mean to be an American. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Sep 3, 2013 |
Read it before....brought it home to re-read and review. ( )
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
1 0f 23 books all for $10
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
for my brothers, George, Wilmer and David

Told with Baldwin's characteristically unflinching honesty, this collection of illuminating, deeply felt essays examines topics ranging from race relations in the United States to the role of the writer in society, and offers personal accounts of Richard Wright, Norman Mailer and other writers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:18 -0400)

A collection of essays on race relations in the U.S., the role of the writer, and other topics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,986,804 books! | Top bar: Always visible