If a Tree Falls at Lunch Period by Gennifer…

If a Tree Falls at Lunch Period

by Gennifer Choldenko

Young Reader Reaction: I enjoyed the book, but didn’t love it. Its ongoing and suspenseful plot kept to turning the pages. The main characters’ feelings were enhanced by their realization of who they are, and the striking differences between them and other people. A lot of the concepts mentioned in this book are related to family problems. The parents fight, the kids worry, then everybody lives happily ever after. My favorite part of the story was when Kirsten’s dad Mac, told her that she could fix things. She didn’t believe in herself throughout the book, but with the trust of her dad, Kirsten really thought she could do it. And she did. I recommend this book to readers who love a good story about family history secrets. Also, if you enjoy reading the kinds of things popular girls in schools do their classmates, then this book is for you too.

Adult Reader Reaction: Review pending.

Pros: Because the story is told by the two main characters, readers get different perspectives of what's happening. That helps add to the suspense.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
  TheReadingTub | Jan 7, 2014 |
Great read-- realistic characters, and I liked that the parents didn't end up divorced. Their situation was a little more nuanced.

JenGennari | Apr 6, 2013 |
Ummm... This book was AWESOME!

First, the story was REALLY entertaining... I SOOO wanted to hit a couple of the people... ARRRGGGHHHH! And WOW, was there a plot twist!! Maybe I shouldn't say that? Well, you know SOMETHING is going on, but I SOOO didn't see it coming.... Holy cow...

Second, there was SO MUCH great stuff in it.... a LOT of social commentary.... on prejudice, race, popularity (Is it really worth it? NO.), gossip, weight, standing up for yourself, ... all sorts of YA issues that REALLY need to be addressed! And Ms. Choldenko does it in a VERY poignant way. I think young adults (boys AND girls) would really identify with the characters (one boy and one girl in alternating narration).

Yep, so really great read. Really nice little audiobook, too! ( )
  saraferrell | Apr 3, 2013 |
Only made it through 20 pages. Neither of the main characters felt at all authentic to me. Bummed, cause I loved Al Capone Does My Shirts! ( )
  wwrawson | Mar 31, 2013 |
If a Tree Falls is told in alternating voices, Kirsten and Walk. Walk's chapters tend to be shorter, which is a shame since he's the more interesting (or at least, less annoying) character. Ordinarily this alternating-voice thing wouldn't bother me--but Kirsten's chapters are first-person and Walk's third-person, making it sound like Kirsten has a strange omniscience. The budding friendship between these two was more interesting before the Big Discovery That Changes Everything, the repercussions of which felt rushed and insincere.

After Al Capone Does My Shorts, I guess I'd expected something better. This wasn't bad, but it wasn't really great, either--it's just another addition to the long list of mediocre books I've read. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 31, 2013 |
To my editor, Kathy Dawson, who reads between the lines, between the letters, and even between the dot on the i and the stroke itself.
This is lame but I'm actually looking forward to school this year, because every day this summer was like crap: dog crap, cat crap--I even had a few elephant crap days.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152057536, Hardcover)

Kirsten's parents are barely speaking to each other, and her best friend has fallen under the spell of the school's queen bee, Brianna. It seems like only Kirsten's younger science-geek sister is on her side.

Walker's goal is to survive at the new white private school his mom has sent him to because she thinks he's going to screw up like his cousin. But he's a good kid. So is his friend Matteo, though no one knows why he’ll do absolutely anything that hot blond Brianna asks of him.

But all of this feels almost trivial when Kirsten and Walker discover a secret that shakes them both to the core. Fast paced, marvelously funny, and brutally honest, If a Tree Falls at Lunch Period touches on universal truths about human nature.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:56 -0400)

Kirsten and Walk, seventh-graders at an elite private school, alternate telling how race, wealth, weight, and other issues shape their relationships as they and other misfits stand up to a mean but influential classmate, even as they are uncovering a long-kept secret about themselves.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,599,224 books! | Top bar: Always visible