The Art of War: Complete Text and Commentaries

by Sun Tzu

Other authors: Frederick the Great, Niccolò Machiavelli

This unique volume includes-- THE ART OF WAR- Perhaps the most influential book of strategy in the world today, this classical Chinese text is a penetrating study of organizations in conflict. Compiled over two thousand years ago by Sun Tzu, a mysterious Chinese warrior-philosopher, the text addresses competition and conflict on every level from the interpersonal to the international.- MASTERING THE ART OF WAR- Composed by two prominent statesmen-generals of classical China, this book develops the strategies of Sun Tzu's ART OF WAR into a complete handbook of organization and leadership. Drawing on episodes from the panorama of Chinese history, MASTERING THE ART OF WAR presents practical summaries of essential laws along with tales of conflict and strategy that show in concrete terms the proper use of Sun Tzu's principles.- THE LOST ART OF WAR- Written by Sun Bin, a linear descendant of Sun Tzu, this is another rich and practical Chinese text on political and military strategy. Though fragments of this text have long been known, this is a translation of the recently discovered complete version of Sun Bin's text.-THE SILVER SPARROW ART OF WAR- A translation of Sun Tzu's ART OF WAR based on a recently discovered version of the classic text.… (more)

I read The Art of War when I was younger and decided to read this version because it had comments of various famous generals from the ancient China. I was expecting to find out HOW Sun Tzu's techniques were used in battle and the leaders' thoughts about the procedures described in the classical tactics book. Well, I won't complain too much. In the "Mastering the Art of War" part of the book I found exactly what I was looking for. Unforunately enough, I didn't find anything else in the book very useful. I expected so much more from the great strategist of their times, but the impression I was given was that either a lot of depth of meaning was lost in the translation or for all this time I've been overestimating the generals and strategists. The comments are not exactly what I call "constructive". For most part of the book, I felt like I was reading the exact same sentence over and over again.

As for the author's point of view about the tactics adopted by the generals and strategists mentioned in the book... it was just annoying. It seemed that every single sentence of the original Art of War were re-written as detailedd as a History book. The introduction of each part of the book sums up everything that is going to be mentioned for the rest of the chapters and as you read the rest of the chapter, you just keep wondering what was the purpose of the intro if everything it was said was also mentioned in the rest of the book.

Worth reading because of "Mastering the Art of War". But I'd rather only get "Mastering the Art of War" rather than this one. ( )
1 vote aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |

Tzu, Sunprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frederick the Greatsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Machiavelli, Niccolòsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gillen, AidanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, Marc A.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

This compilation of Sun Tzu's Art of War, Machiavelli's The Prince, and Frederick the Great's Instructions to His Generals is invaluable to strategies at all levels -- be they on the battlefield or in the boardroom. These timeless texts contain proven wisdom helpful to any seeking a strategic edge over their opponents and competitors. In combination they truly provide the ultimate advice on the art, and science, of war as well as the art of life

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 197,500,496 books! | Top bar: Always visible