Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki

Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind (1970)

by Shunryu Suzuki

Recently added byterrythomas, private library, KKBlank, momnrod, sdodson05, World_Tree_Healing, beardfacer
Legacy LibrariesIris Murdoch, Leslie Scalapino
    What Makes You Not a Buddhist by Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse (dougb56586)
    dougb56586: Not about Zen, but a good introductory book to Buddhism.

English (26)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All (31)
A fantastic, simple, analogical look into how to live in a method of Zen. It spends less time explaining than you might expect, and shows with humorous stories, a little like parables, but with the goal of opening understanding. I appreciated how this all came together, and I think many would agree, though it might take some other reading to understand better. ( )
  Pepperwings | Jun 17, 2017 |
Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki is a rather intricate but deep view into the mindscape of what the 'Zen Mind' entails.

Given that this book isn't exactly for those in the nascent stages of Zen Buddhism, it can be quite enigmatic in some spots. Still, this does not detract from the wealth of information the reader will be able to garner if they maintain an open mind.

Overall the book shows many insights individuals may follow to strengthen their core repertoire.

Some of the concepts the book discusses included mindfulness, the importance of calmness and focus in your life, proper practice, simplicity and much more.

For someone that's new in traversing the Zen realm, this book is quite appreciated. It synthesizes many complex topics in a simple to follow manner, and does so in a way that is rich in scope as well.

Reading this book will definitely help the reader become more cognizant of the mind in countless ways.

After having this book a while, and referenced it quite a bit, have a feeling that how much this book helps an individual is proportional to how much one focuses on each of the concepts. It really is an excellent book. ( )
  ZyPhReX | Jan 5, 2017 |
A fantastic book for those interested in Zen and where to begin, how to begin, what to expect and what not to. A guide in the true sense of the word. Though quite philosophically deep in places, it is a book that almost everyone can enjoy. ( )
  Schneider | Jan 1, 2017 |
One of the books that helped launch a revolution in America. Suzuki, almost single-handedly, was responsible for setting up the first Zen monastery in the USA. The book I recommend anyone not familiar with Zen to read - and the book I recommend to people as being the most accessible. "Our life and death are the same thing. When we realize this fact, we have no fear of death anymore, nor actual difficulty in our life." The section (from which that quote is taken) entitled "Nirvana, the Waterfall" inspires me to no end. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |

Huston SmithPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Noorbeek, RifTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my Master

Gyokujun So-On-Daiosho

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0834800799, Paperback)

A respected Zen master in Japan and founder of the San Francisco Zen Center, Shunryu Suzuki has blazed a path in American Buddhism like few others. He is the master who climbs down from the pages of the koan books and answers your questions face to face. If not face to face, you can at least find the answers as recorded in Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind, a transcription of juicy excerpts from his lectures. From diverse topics such as transience of the world, sudden enlightenment, and the nuts and bolts of meditation, Suzuki always returns to the idea of beginner's mind, a recognition that our original nature is our true nature. With beginner's mind, we dedicate ourselves to sincere practice, without the thought of gaining anything special. Day to day life becomes our Zen training, and we discover that "to study Buddhism is to study ourselves." And to know our true selves is to be enlightened. --Brian Bruya

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:45 -0400)

Zen mind is one of those enigmatic phrases used by Zen teachers to throw you back upon yourself, to make you go behind the words themselves and begin wondering. "Is it what I am doing now? Is it what I am thinking now?" The innocence of this first inquiry--just asking what you are--is beginner's mind. The mind of the beginner is needed throughout Zen practice. It is the open mind, the attitude that includes both doubt and possibility, the ability to see things always as fresh and new. It is needed in all aspects of life. This book originated from a series of talks given by Zen Master Shunryu Suzuki to a small group is California. His approach is informal, and he draws his examples from ordinary events and common sense.--From publisher description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,194,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible