Red Moon at Sharpsburg by Rosemary Wells

Red Moon at Sharpsburg (2007)

by Rosemary Wells

Recently added byprivate library, manntw13, Fortune180, Tee1112, Amberdrobny, AgrippinaVolturi, romyker

This book is about a young high spirited girl with lot's of courage. The book is written by Rosemary Wells and is Historical Fiction. I will prove that the main character, India is very brave. This book was inspiring because of all the brave people during the awful and depressing Civil War.
The setting of this story is taken place in Virginia in the 1860's. So India and her family are on the southern side. The point of view is from the main character, India. Other important characters in this book are Cy Moody; India's father, India's mother, Emory Trimble; her tutor, Dr Hooks, Geneva, and Captain Davis. I would say the tone/ mood of this story is sad, depressing, dreary, but also very touching.
A brief summary of this book is that its about a girl named India who is more interested in Science, chemistry and playing outside with the boys than becoming a young lady. Her father, a medic in the war, gets very sick of camp fever so she sneaks off to take medicine but it all just goes down hill from there. Some important events in this story are at the beginning when school gets canceled because her teacher passes away so her parents insist she is tutored by a young man named Emory Trimble. Another important event is is when Emory asks India to come to the University with him and be his assistant. The last major important event was when India's father gets very sick and dies. Those were the 3 parts I thought were most important.
I would definitely say the author achieved her purpose, the book was powerful and beautiful. A strength in this book would be that there was very strong character personality's. A weakness would be that there were too many characters that it was hard to follow and I got confused sometimes and had to backtrack. My overall response to this book was that it was interesting and gave me a better perspective on the war. I would definitely recommend this book to others because it feels like your reading a real autobiography of someone who had a real life experience in the war. I would rate in 7 stars out out of 10.
Overall, I think this book was a great story about the war. I really learned more about the Civil War. The book left me with a lot of knowledge about how hard times were. I would recommend this book to students in middle/ high school and anyone interested in history or the Civil War. ( )
  emilyfrancis2 | May 22, 2013 |
AsialyM
ELA Book Review
Red Moon at Sharpsburg
Written By; Rosemary Wells
Deaths, injuries, hardships, bravery, and a romance. The mid 1800’s were the bloodiest days of war. Rosemary Well’s Red Moon at Sharpsburg is about the civil war. There were many sicknesses in the cold air during war and many people have died, including loved ones. Red Moon at Sharpsburg is a very interesting book. It tells an extraordinary story about a girl who’s pa has left for war and soon becomes missing. This book also tells a story about a bit of a romance. The book Red Moon at Sharpsburg is a great book because it has a good meaning and it gives you outside information about the civil war.
India Moody is the main character and narrator of this book. Other important characters include Pa, Mama, Emory, Calvin and Geneva Trimble, Julia, General E. Lee, Patrick, Henry, Doctor Hooks and more. The setting is located in Virginia at Sharpsburg. It is also where the civil war passed briefly. Red Moon at Sharpsburg is historical fiction.
Red Moon at Sharpsburg is about a girl named India Moody who supports the South nation. India’s Pa is forced to go to war to help the wounded soldiers. The war passes by Sharpsburg and is affecting her area. India’s Pa eventually goes missing and is soon dead by the hospital field. While India doesn’t know this quite yet, she goes into the war to try and find her Pa and give him the medicine he needs to get rid of his sickness, but does not find him. Red Moon at Sharpsburg is definitely a cliffhanger. Once you start, it’s hard to find a place to stop because it’s just full of suspense, action, and romance.
I would recommend this book to others because it was a very interesting, and effective book. When I read this book, I pictured everything perfectly in my head. I understood the meaning because the book was written easily to understand. The author, Rosemary Wells, did an exceptional job writing this book. The writing has a nice flow to it and it has a great meaning. I would definitely recommend this book to people who are interested in the civil war. I really enjoyed reading Red Moon at Sharpsburg. ( )
  AsialyM16 | May 21, 2013 |
Red moon at Sharpsburg is about war. It is a historical fiction book written by Rosemary wells. The book Red moon at Sharpsburg was good because it was romantic but also about the difficulties of war. A girl named India just wants to play with boys and have fun but her mother wants her to study housing. Until she meets a young scientist named Emory Trimble he studies medicine, chemistry and biology. Her dad goes off to war and gets camp fever. India finds herself in a situation in the race between time and death for her father.
Red moon at Sharpsburg takes place in Virginia Shenandoah valley. When war breaks out school closes down and India is forced to stay at home and work for her family with her friend Julia. India the main character is brave, and caring. Her father (“pa”) is religious, caring and brave by going into the war and risking his life. Her mother is weird, crazy and controlling she is also mean because she doesn’t let India do much. Julia is rich and she moves so she can go to college leaving her friend behind during the time India needs her most.
India needs to give her father medicine to fight camp fever but she can’t do it by herself. She gets help from Emory who gives her pills for camp fever but she needs to hand deliver it herself so the yanks (enemy) doesn’t ruin them. So she goes to Sharpsburg were her dad is at war. She finds a dead soldiers wallet at takes out all of the money so she can afford college. Where then she discovers her father is not there and that he is dead. They say the moon was red at sharps burg because of her dad’s blood and the rest of the soldiers. When she gets back she faces the fear of telling her mother of her father’s death. She then moves away from the war to then yet again find out another love one has died.
The Red moon at Sharpsburg was a good book. The writing was powerful and effective. The book could have had more information on the war but overall it was educational and romantic. This book was dull at first but moving more towards the end. I recommend this book to 12 year olds and up. In my opinion it was good.
This book was hard to put down after you got towards the end. It was romantic, historical and very realistic. If you like a little violence and some romance this would be a good book for you. The book was good I just wanted few more chapters to really finish it off. But it was a pretty good book. ( )
  booklover143 | May 17, 2013 |
Red Moon at Sharpsburg
By, Rosemary Wells
Guns blood and a river that turned red that’s exactly what happened in Sharpsburg. I really enjoyed reading this book because it was a very adventures book and had a lot of cliffhangers which I love to read. About how an author can show that girls can do something for family friends and strangers.
Red Moon at Sharpsburg was a very interesting book it talked about how girls can help in the civil but they don’t get credit. This book talks about girls starting to change in the world getting rights and becoming different people it shows how they can be their own people. India the main character shows great courage to get the right medicine so she can go out and save her dad from the war.
This story is told from a girl named India about how she tries to save her dad from the war and gets the medicine that he needs urgently. Don’t just think that this book is about the war they talk about how India helps out and does her part. I would suggest this book for readers that like people that help out and are the war hero’s that no one talks about this book shows great leadership and great courage from a girl point of view in the war.
Red Moon at Sharpsburg was a beautiful book that shows love. Determination, action and a little bit of violence. In the book it can tell you what conditions they were in the book there Pa says “Don’t touch me I’m as dirty as a dead mule this showed me what they would look like after a big battle has happened. India’s Friend gives her the right medicine to help her dad and she says to herself “ I will find my Pa if it’s the last thing I do”. As she runs from Place to place looking for her dad she gets told a interesting saying “sleep little then run like hell out of her when daylight comes” you might wonder what that means but what they are saying is the Union will be there by morning and she could get captured or worse get killed.
This book was an inspirational to me because it showed me that you can go out of your way to help someone out in your family or friends even just random citizens that you never met. This book showed me great courage and determination it showed me it doesn’t matter how old you or what sex you are we can all do something to make a change. ( )
  Mr.Cuddles | May 16, 2013 |
If you like suspenseful books where you are left with cliff hangers and having to be on the edge of your seat, this is the book for you. Red Moon at Sharpsburg is by Rosemary Wells and is Historical fiction. The book was excellent because of the suspense, the journeys in the book, and the somewhat of a love story.
This book describes the south side of the civil war. Although, India Moody and her family think that the way of the north is the correct way to deal with this, she and her family need to go with the south because they live in northern Virginia. India Moody is the main character, and is also the narrator. This book was suspenseful, and was a test in love.
India Moody is a young girl who doesn’t like to learn the ordinary scriptures and handwriting skills other girls are expected to learn. Instead, India wants to learn about biology and science. India soon used the science and the biology as an advantage when her father went to war. Unfortunately, India’s father got sick. India needed to go to the battlefield and give her the medicine before it’s too late.
Red Moon at Sharpsburg was an excellent book. It was a suspenseful but yet somewhat of a love story. The book had some words that would be hard for a 13 year old to understand, but I did understand what was going on. The author also did a very good job with having cliff hangers in between chapters. I found the book for interesting and I found myself asking what was going to happen next. I would recommend this book to people who like suspense of a journey or people who like to sit on the edge of their chair wondering what was going to happen. I would give this book 10 stars out of 10.
I absolutely love this book. I never wanted to put it down. I learned something’s I didn't know before. It showed me how the war life really was like for a family. This book has taught me so much and I really enjoyed it. ( )
  Cheer114 | May 16, 2013 |
For Regina Hayes
It was my father who found Calvin Trimble's body lying against a stone wall on the Spreckle sisters' land.

Award-winning author Rosemary Wells lays bare the senseless devastation of war in this stunning novel. As the Civil War breaks out, India, a young Southern girl, summons her sharp intelligence and the courage she didn’t know she had to survive the war that threatens to destroy her family, her Virginia home, and the only life she has ever known. A timeless heroine of inspiring drive and bravery, India holds on to her dream of forging a career in science, unheard-of for a woman, in the face of battle, starvation, and tragic loss. Rarely has the Southern perspective on the war been told so even-handedly for young adults as in this meticulously researched, poignant, and riveting novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:22 -0400)

As the Civil War breaks out, India, a young Southern girl, summons her sharp intelligence and the courage she didn't know she had to survive the war that threatens to destroy her family, her Virginia home, and the only life she has ever known.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,282,755 books! | Top bar: Always visible