Dangerous to Know by Renee Patrick

"...I can't go on reading papers and watching newsreels hoping everything will work out. I have to do something... I mean, the Nazis already invaded my apartment."

Lillian, now a social secretary, isn't content with only rubbing shoulders with 1938 Hollywood glamour while the cloud of the Reich descends in Europe and reaches across the ocean. When a composer seeking work at Paramount Pictures is found dead, Lillian partners with her friend Edith, Paramount's lead costume designer, to unravel the latest mystery on their hands in Dangerous to Know by authors Renee Patrick.

I enjoyed the first Lillian Frost & Edith Head novel, and this second novel's ties to the imminent Second World War most compelled me to read it.

I'll admit, though, I fluctuated between moments of being engrossed in this one and stretches where the story all but lost my interest.

Where the romance thread is concerned, although I like Lillian's dry wit overall, she might be a little too dry as a romantic character. And, even with the beginnings of attraction in the first book, one of her love interests isn't compelling enough to make me see why he's still in the running for her. He just doesn't seem like someone who's ready to pursue a woman.

I'm glad I made it to the mystery's climactic stage, which is the best part. While I didn't enjoy this read as much as the first, I'll still keep my eyes open for more from this joint author, particularly to see if another Lillian and Edith novel will go deeper into the war. ( )
  NadineC.Keels | Jun 19, 2018 |
Reading Renee Patrick's Lillian Frost and Edith Head mysteries is like walking into Old Hollywood; you never know who's going to have a cameo role. So much of the plot is based on actual events-- like Jack Benny and George Burns facing smuggling charges-- that readers get a real sense of life in the movie industry before the U.S. enters World War II.

For some reason, I'm having a difficult time warming to Lillian Frost, and I don't know why. I can certainly sympathize with what Edith Head had to endure-- being considered the cheapest alternative while the studio brought in a continuous round of prospective replacements. Edith is a good foil to Lillian and does provide the younger woman with sound advice. Frost's new job as social secretary helps give her the entrée into Hollywood society that she needs in order to conduct her investigations.

The writing team of Renee Patrick is adept at creating absorbing, complex mysteries that keep the pages turning. Anyone with even a minuscule interest in old Hollywood movies and stars should enjoy their Frost and Head mysteries. In fact, the books are so good that readers unfamiliar with the territory may find themselves becoming fans, too. ( )
  cathyskye | Sep 16, 2017 |
Renee Patrick is the pseudonym for the dynamic writing husband and wife team Rosemarie and Vince Keenan. Last year's release of Design for Dying (Lillian Frost and Edith Head #1) was met with rave reviews and has been nominated for several awards. Design for Dying is a cozy, behind-the-scenes mystery surrounding Hollywood's Golden Age. You have atmosphere, glitz and glamour, and murder, of course. Not to mention two intelligent women who steal the show. Dangerous to Know is the second book starring this amateur crime-fighting duo.

After the success they had in Design for Dying, Edith and Lillian have built a bit of a reputation for themselves. So much so, when Marlene Dietrich comes knocking insisting they investigate the disappearance of a composer, they agree. The mystery launches them head-first into a plethora of espionage, gangsters, cover-ups, FBI investigations, starlets, and secrets. Patrick uses "a real-life incident, a historical footnote long forgotten, in which the war clouds gathering over Europe cast a shadow on Hollywood."

I love old movies. I love how glamorous everything seemed in 1930's Hollywood. I loved the clothes, the cars, the panache lifestyle. Renee Patrick takes you back to when glamour rules, gossip is king, and everybody has a secret. Dangerous to Know is a noir with two classy ladies who are whip smart and savvy. It's a nod at the classics and it will keep you guessing until the very end. Lillian Frost and Edith Head are an unstoppable force to be reckoned with and I can't wait for their next adventure.

Read more at http://www.toreadornottoread.net/2017/05/champagne-mystery-and-movie-magic.html#... ( )
  mt256 | Jun 2, 2017 |

Los Angeles, 1938. Former aspiring actress Lillian Frost is adjusting to a new life of boldfaced names as social secretary to a movie-mad millionaire. Costume designer Edith Head is running Paramount Pictures’ wardrobe department, but only until a suitable replacement comes along. The two friends again become partners thanks to an international scandal, a real-life incident in which the war clouds gathering over Europe cast a shadow on Hollywood.

Lillian attended the Manhattan dinner party at which well-heeled guests insulted Adolf Hitler within earshot of a maid with Nazi sympathies. Now, secrets the maid vengefully spilled have all New York society running for cover – and two Paramount stars, Jack Benny and George Burns, facing smuggling charges.

Edith also seeks Lillian’s help on a related matter. The émigré pianist in Marlene Dietrich’s budding nightclub act has vanished. Lillian reluctantly agrees to look for him. When Lillian finds him dead, Dietrich blames agents of the Reich. As Lillian and Edith unravel intrigue extending from Paramount’s Bronson Gate to FDR’s Oval Office, only one thing is certain: they’ll do it in style.

Renee Patrick's Dangerous to Know beguilingly blends forgotten fact and fanciful fiction, while keeping Hollywood glamour front and center

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 18 Oct 2016 01:37:59 -0400)

"December 1938. Lillian Frost has plunged head first into a world of boldfaced names and endless glamour as social secretary to movie-mad millionaire Addison Rice. Costume designer Edith Head is now in charge of Paramount Pictures' wardrobe department, although her position is precarious: potential replacements are being auditioned on a regular basis. The two friends again become partners thanks to an international scandal: a real-life incident, a historical footnote long forgotten, in which the war clouds gathering over Europe cast a shadow on Hollywood. At a swanky Manhattan dinner party the well-heeled guests speak ill of Adolf Hitler in front of a German maid with Nazi sympathies. The secrets she spills soon have all of New York society running for cover--and two of Paramount's biggest stars, Jack Benny and George Burns, facing smuggling charges. When an emigre composer seeking work at Paramount is found dead, Marlene Dietrich tells Edith she blames agents of the Reich. As Lillian and Edith unravel intrigue that extends from Paramount's fabled Bronson Gate to FDR's Oval Office, only one thing is certain: they'll do it in style"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,221,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible