dismiss

The Wanderers

by Meg Howrey

"Station Eleven meets The Martian in this brilliantly inventive novel about three astronauts training for the first-ever mission to Mars, an experience that will push the boundary between real and unreal, test their relationships, and leave each of them--and their families--changed forever In an age of space exploration, we search to find ourselves. In four years Prime Space will put the first humans on Mars. Helen Kane, Yoshi Tanaka, and Sergei Kuznetsov must prove they're the crew for the job by spending seventeen months in the most realistic simulation ever created. Retired from NASA, Helen had not trained for irrelevance. It is nobody's fault that the best of her exists in space, but her daughter can't help placing blame. The MarsNOW mission is Helen's last chance to return to the only place she's ever truly felt at home. For Yoshi, it's an opportunity to prove himself worthy of the wife he has loved absolutely, if not quite rightly. Sergei is willing to spend seventeen months in a tin can if it means travelling to Mars. He will at least be tested past the point of exhaustion, and this is the example he will set for his sons. As the days turn into months the line between what is real and unreal becomes blurred, and the astronauts learn that the complications of inner space are no less fraught than those of outer space. The Wanderers gets at the desire behind all exploration: the longing for discovery and the great search to understand the human heart"--… (more)

* I received this book as part of a Goodreads giveaway*
On the surface, this book is science fiction. We follow a team of astronauts, their families and the company they work for as they hold a simulation for a trip to Mars. The whole simulation is more thorough than one can imagine, featuring a 17-month isolation and most of it spent in the ship they will take. The thought is that by having the training be as close to the real thing as possible, there will be less room for error when the real trip to Mars takes place.

The main characters are Helen Kane, Yoshi Tanaka, and Sergei Kuznetsov. This team from different countries has been brought together based on studies of group interactions and the experiences of each. They are designed to be the perfect team of astronauts.
My full review can be found on my blog! ( )
  hopebarton2014 | Jun 15, 2020 |
I like all kinds of books.

I generally don't have much of a problem getting into SF that happens to be more about family and interpersonal drama than about space... but I do like to know that this is what I'm getting into.

By all accounts, the extended opening felt like a glorious character-driven lead-up to a tight and absorbing journey to Mars. But when the interpersonal stuff took over and most of the page space was devoted to different family members, all of which stayed behind, I had to conclude that this whole book wasn't really about Mars or the journey for the three Astronauts, even though the tale centered on them. It merely had the cool journey be a pivot for deep internal monologs and stream of consciousness. It really could have been set anywhere. It just happened to have space travel as the spice.

The plot really isn't that important.

The character studies are where this book shines. From issues of being gay to finding a balance in your life or even the ideas of what is art and despair, it does shine.

I wonder if this is going to be a new "thing", though. I've been reading title after title lately that is just mainstream topics and exploration with just a tad of science or science fiction. Maybe one dystopia here or one exploration there, but the rest is just a mainstream novel that could have been marketed so easily as another genre.

Don't get me wrong. It's fine. But I am quite fond of my science and my science fiction. I'm used to my SF having truly glorious themes and explorations and complicated structures. I'm just not sure what I think about bare-bones and mild A-to-B SF plots becoming a carrier vectors for other genres.

Otherwise, the writing is quite good and I otherwise probably wouldn't have had any complaints. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
This book blended science with humanity beautifully. The development of the characters was so real and painful and joyous. By the end, you know they have truly gone somewhere new. ( )
  carlypancakes | May 28, 2020 |
While i am not into sci-fi this was really good and left u geussing how it will end. Unfortunately, the ending was left open. I wished they would have been a ending, but then again if i would have not liked the ending...... maybe leaving it open was better ( )
  kakadoo202 | Sep 18, 2019 |
Still processing this novel, but wow. ( )
  decaturmamaof2 | Nov 28, 2018 |

Meg Howreyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cavanaugh, MeighanDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marno, MozhanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,067,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible