Astrophysics for People in a Hurry

by Neil deGrasse Tyson

3,1191233,619 (3.92)111
"The essential universe, from our most celebrated and beloved astrophysicist. What is the nature of space and time? How do we fit within the universe? How does the universe fit within us? There's no better guide through these mind-expanding questions than acclaimed astrophysicist and best-selling author Neil deGrasse Tyson. But today, few of us have time to contemplate the cosmos. So Tyson brings the universe down to Earth succinctly and clearly, with sparkling wit, in tasty chapters consumable anytime and anywhere in your busy day. While you wait for your morning coffee to brew, for the bus, the train, or a plane to arrive, Astrophysics for People in a Hurry will reveal just what you need to be fluent and ready for the next cosmic headlines: from the Big Bang to black holes, from quarks to quantum mechanics, and from the search for planets to the search for life in the universe"--… (more)
    We Have No Idea: A Guide to the Unknown Universe by Jorge Cham (themulhern)
    themulhern: Both have a lightish treatment of similar topics. I think "We Have no Idea" has more verve, though.

English (121)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (122)
Excellently written for the non math minded. ( )
  nettlette | Aug 13, 2022 |
A surprisingly chill read where I said “well ain’t that sumthin!” a number of times, but at the end of the day, all the information went by so quickly that I never retained any of it. I would have loved more context.

It ended surprisingly moral-heavy, which i should have expected from NDT, but for some reason, I thought it wouldn’t happen here. ( )
  Chuck_ep | Jul 18, 2022 |
If you read it for no other reason, read it to hear Neil say Einstein was a bad-ass. ( )
  bridgetannie | Mar 8, 2022 |
I listened to the author read this book (I usually enjoy his TV shows). I learned some, but was a little lost on some of the points. Still I found it quite interesting and well worth reading. ( )
  Wren73 | Mar 4, 2022 |
Listened to this as an audiobook and learned that I don't do well listening to nonfiction. ( )
  mojomomma | Mar 4, 2022 |
(Interview of Neil deGrasse Tyson by Stephen Colbert about the book, on YouTube).

Neil deGrasse Tysonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Tyson, Neil DegrasseNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Garceau, PeteCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Liu, IngsuArt Directionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mäkelä, J. PekkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valtaoja, EskoForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The universe is under no obligation
to make sense to you.

—N D T
For all those who are too busy to read fat books

Yet nonetheless seek a conduit to the cosmos
In the beginning, nearly fourteen billion years ago, all the space and all the matter and all the energy of the known universe was contained in a volume less than one-trillionth the size of the period that ends this sentence.
The world has persisted many long year, having once been set in appropriate motion. From these everything else follows. Lucretiius, C 50 BX

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,323,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible