Forever Free (1999)

by Joe Haldeman

Series: Forever War (2)

Space travellers return to their planet after a long absence and find everyone gone. The intriguing aspect is the amount of clothing lying everywhere, as if people undressed before vanishing. The travellers head for Earth and find the same happened there.

English (16)  Italian (1)  All languages (17)
Started out a great read, then it was as if Joe got tired of writing; coming up with an extremely bizarre end game so he could just stop. And I so loved The Forever War. ( )
  awisdom01 | Jul 28, 2021 |
Started out a good yarn, then it was as if Joe got tired of writing, coming up with a lame solution to how he could end the farce. And I so loved The Forever War. Gave that one five stars! ( )
  awisdom01 | Jul 28, 2021 |
Joe Haldeman wrote a classic science fiction novel about the cost of war waged when the distance between enemies was light years away. Then, he wrote this. A novel which began slow, started to pick up steam, and then he had zero idea how to finish. So he threw in a shape-changer race. Then God.

A joke? No idea. But it was terrible. ( )
  illmunkeys | Apr 22, 2021 |
I remember that same sense of disappointment when I was reading the Philip J. Farmer 'Riverworld' series. The first couple were very good, but they steadily got worse. As if all the ideas were used up. I didn't read the 2nd book in this series, but it's probably just as well. As in 'Riverworld' the focus of the book gets larger. To involve all manner of space and time. I think Haldeman had created enough potential future human stages in the first book. The idea in this book was to go father into time to see what would happen after 40,000 years. Thank goodness in one sense that it didn't do that, but on the other hand the reveal at the end wasn't worth the read. ( )
  billycongo | Jul 22, 2020 |
Wow. Following up a Vietnam War allegory with a book that freely references Westworld as a way to wrap it all up. This really bummed me out. ( )
  sarcher | Jul 7, 2019 |

Joe Haldemanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jensen, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,259,749 books! | Top bar: Always visible