A Hope More Powerful Than the Sea: One…

A Hope More Powerful Than the Sea: One Refugee's Incredible Story of…

by Melissa Fleming

A Hope More Powerful Than The Sun: One Refugees Incredible Story of Love, Loss and Survival.🍒🍒🍒🍒
By Melissa Fleming
2017

Wow!!
I can sum this story up in one word....wow! Doaa AL Zamel is the most brave, courageous and resilient woman I've read about in a long time. This true story of a Syrian refugee will blow your mind and open your eyes and heart to the refugee crisis and Syrian conflict.
The last chapter captures the extremes of humanity. I cried throughout this book. Amazing!! ( )
  over.the.edge | Sep 16, 2018 |
Heartbreaking, moving story. But a terrible storyteller. A few years ago a story made the rounds in the media: a refugee helped save two very small children (barely toddlers) who were fleeing with their families out of the violence of Syria. By some miracle Doaa Al Zamel stays afloat and manages to get herself and the babies to rescue. This is the story of her early life and fleeing the terror to a new life. The book is written by Melissa Fleming, the chief spokesperson for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees who initially told Doaa's story at a TED talk.

We learn about Doaa's early life and family. As a young child Doaa had a relatively peaceful upbringing but things soon changed in Syria and the situation gradually becomes untenable. After fleeing with her family for Egypt, Doaa finds she must leave again with her fiance, Bassem. Together they embark on a harrowing journey to Europe.

It's a fascinating story and should really bring home the horrors refugees are fleeing, but I am amazed at the high reviews this book received. It is not well-written at all. I thought Fleming was a ghostwriter (I didn't know of her position with the UN until I read the flap) helping Doaa tell her story. But the writing is at best pedestrian and could have used a lot more tightening up. This is another example of a TED talk/magazine article (I believe Doaa wrote at least one piece about her experiences) that should have never been made into a book or at least should have had a much better editor/ghostwriter to help.

It's a horrifying tale that has far too many similar stories told by far too many people. But I'd recommend most readers skip this and either watch the TED talk (I haven't watched it though) or seek out Doaa's writings instead.

acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
amazing story, very much increased my understanding of the war and the refugee crisis. very marginally written though. Fleming is not an author.
  splinfo | Apr 12, 2017 |
Touching story, was so sad. This book was about Doaa Al Zamel's survival. She is a Syrian woman who fleed to Egypt along with a few family members for freedom because the Syria war started. There, she meets Bassem who she marries. During their journey to Europe (there were bad things going on in Egypt too), the two suffer. Most of the refugees pass away and Doaa is the sole survivor along with two babies entrusted to her by their families, Masa and Malak. Malak dies shortly after but Masa lives on. Doaa's family get hate messages and attacks but they escape. I feel honored to have won this book through a LibraryThing Giveaway. ( )
  mindanguyen | Mar 16, 2017 |
*I received this book through a GoodReads Giveaway.*

For anyone who wishes to understand the experience of Syrian refugees, this book is essential. Through the personal narrative of Doaa Al Zamel, this book humanizes the current crisis, provides a heart-wrenching story of what leaving the country of one's birth behind means, and displays the lengths many refugees go to in an attempt to give their families a better life. Highly recommended to those interested in the current refugee crisis in Syria. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Feb 27, 2017 |

The story of a young Syrian refugee's attempt to reach Sweden, focusing on her ordeal in icy waters after the dilapidated fishing vessel in which she was traveling--along with 500 others--sinks.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,832,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible