Sundiver by David Brin

Sundiver (1980)

by David Brin

Series: Uplift Saga (1), First Uplift Trilogy (1)

Nimrod Hunt by Charles Sheffield (lesvrolyk)
    lesvrolyk: Tons of cool aliens!
    Ringworld by Larry Niven (LamontCranston)
    LamontCranston: Space Opera, updated. Strange mystery, assemble a crew of lively characters, go explore it. Sound familiar?
    Babel-17 by Samuel R. Delany (LamontCranston)
    The Algebraist by Iain M. Banks (LamontCranston)

English (37)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All (40)
I'm not sure why I didn't like this book more. The concept is great and the world felt well built up with many different characters.
I guess the main plot with the mission to the sun is not that interesting to me. I felt that this could have been a really great story if the mission was something that fascinated me more. ( )
  sofiabuh | Oct 2, 2016 |
The story was interesting, but I am cutting down on my collection and something has to go out.
  librisissimo | May 28, 2016 |
The first (stand-alone) book in his UPLIFT world. A fun mystery, but not earth-shattering or life-changing. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Excellent introduction to Brin as a superb storyteller and this is a mind-expanding trilogy (though the book can certainly be read as a standalone). Man encounters many species of beings and is shown how he relates to these other creatures in the universe. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Sundiver is a mystery novel in a science fiction universe in which humans have made contact with a galactic civilization consisting of many races, and are trying to find a place for themselves despite the aliens mostly considering them to be barbarous upstarts. The broad setting of the novel is very intriguing--there's lots of political interplay between the humans and aliens, between different factions of humans, and even between different alien races. However, I found the character and plotting of the book to be a bit lacking. The main character is a terrestrial biologist whose credentials wouldn't seem to merit the carte blanche he receives when unexpectedly invited on an expedition to study life inhabiting the sun. Good thing he is actually a super-sleuth with split personalities that can give him access to superhuman strength--it was a bit much. I also had trouble following the plotline of the second conspiracy, as the author spent more time on action than exposition. Despite this, the book was enjoyable enough, and I look forward to Brin's other works in the same universe. ( )
  Phrim | Jul 7, 2015 |

David Brinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burns, JimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
... it is reasonable to hope that in the not too distant future we shall be competent to understand so simple a thing as a star. - A. S. Eddington, 1926
To my brothers Dan and Stan, to Arglebargle the IVth . . . and to somebody else.
"Makakai, are you ready?"
"Once a caveman, always a caveman, ejh LaRoque? Men get all the way to the sun, and they build a fire to stay warm!"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553269828, Mass Market Paperback)

No species has ever reached for the stars without the guidance of a patron--except perhaps mankind. Did some mysterious race begin the uplift of humanity aeons ago? Circling the sun, under the caverns of Mercury, Expedition Sundiver prepares for the most momentous voyage in history--a journey into the boiling inferno of the sun.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:50 -0400)

Mankind encounters conflicts among the inhabitants of the universe, as brave individuals prepare to journey into the boiling inferno of the sun.

David Brin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,303,125 books! | Top bar: Always visible