Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Sundiver (1980)

by David Brin

Series: First Uplift Trilogy (1), Uplift Saga (1)

Mankind encounters conflicts among the inhabitants of the universe, as brave individuals prepare to journey into the boiling inferno of the sun.
    Nimrod Hunt by Charles Sheffield (lesvrolyk)
    lesvrolyk: Tons of cool aliens!
    Babel-17 by Samuel R. Delany (LamontCranston)
    LamontCranston: Space Opera, updated. Strange mystery, assemble a crew of lively characters, go explore it. Sound familiar?
    The Algebraist by Iain M. Banks (LamontCranston)
    Ringworld by Larry Niven (LamontCranston)

English (51)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (54)
Good book, terrible cover.
  CatherineMachineGun | Jul 31, 2020 |
This is science fiction from 1980 and is therefore not obsessed with:
1) Computers.
2) Nanotech.
3) Wormholes.

This makes it rather refreshing. Instead this book uses an old theme, prevalent in post-WWII American SF: Humans (read the USA) are superior to everybody else. In this example, humans are technologically outclassed by every other space-faring species in the galaxy but are superior because their intelligence evolved naturally instead of being the result of genetic manipulation by an older species. Or maybe not - it's the hottest debate in the galaxy. Various species think humans are upstarts. Others - usually also younger species - kinda like humans. Devious, nefarious politics ensues and our protagonist gets caught up in it.

A slow start leads on to an exciting Poirot-style murder mystery and then a further action-adventure in the chromosphere of the sun, where life has been discovered. Apart from being a compelling story, the main interesting thing in the book is this sun-life. I'm sure I've come across the idea of star life before but never in as much detail.

Inevitably this is the first volume of a series; I'm inclined to carry on with it if I spot the remaining volumes. ( )
  Arbieroo | Jul 17, 2020 |
life forms in Sun
  ritaer | Jun 6, 2020 |
I greatly enjoyed re-reading this one. I did not notice a great difference from the 80's edition, but according to the author, that means he was successful in removing some overly 80's language. ( )
  Karlstar | May 28, 2020 |
2020 reread:
Boy, this was not at all the book that I thought that I remembered! I must have subconsciously recalled the main point as I did "figure out" many of the twists in the plot but I had forgotten the main framework of the story! I thought it was going to be about the dolphins not the 'Solarians' whose existence I didn't believe in until the very end of the book! I thought that they too were part of the hoax. ( )
  leslie.98 | Mar 29, 2020 |

Brin, Davidprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burns, JimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Folio SF (305)
... it is reasonable to hope that in the not too distant future we shall be competent to understand so simple a thing as a star. - A. S. Eddington, 1926
To my brothers Dan and Stan, to Arglebargle the IVth . . . and to somebody else.
"Makakai, are you ready?"
"Once a caveman, always a caveman, ejh LaRoque? Men get all the way to the sun, and they build a fire to stay warm!"

David Brin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,531,797 books! | Top bar: Always visible