Sundiver by David Brin

Sundiver (1980)

by David Brin

Series: Uplift Saga (1), First Uplift Trilogy (1)

Ringworld by Larry Niven (LamontCranston)
    LamontCranston: Space Opera, updated. Strange mystery, assemble a crew of lively characters, go explore it. Sound familiar?
    Babel-17 by Samuel R. Delany (LamontCranston)
    Nimrod Hunt by Charles Sheffield (lesvrolyk)
    lesvrolyk: Tons of cool aliens!
    The Algebraist by Iain M. Banks (LamontCranston)

English (41)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (44)
A very confusing story - every time something was figured out, it was (at least partly) wrong. Everyone (and I mean everyone) had secrets and plots - Helene's was mild and pleasant, but still she was plotting. So was Fagin. And the protagonist was an unreliable narrator - we understood various things because he said they were so, and they weren't. The whole mystery was based on multiple misunderstandings - and not only of the E.T.s. The warfarin side-plot was...pretty weak, they were clutching at straws all over the place (Kepler's behavior isn't a side-effect of warfarin, for one thing!). I'm told this is the weakest story of the series, and that I needed to read it to understand Startide Rising, so I'm not sorry I read it, but I didn't enjoy it and probably will not read it again. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Nov 17, 2018 |
2014 re-read. The first book of the uplift trilogy and somewhat different in style from the novels that followed. This is mostly a murder mystery in space and was enjoyable for what it was. You should read this one to see how much the story progressed as it went along... ( )
  ConalO | Apr 23, 2018 |
Read as part of Uplift: The Complete Trilogy. ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
This first novel in what became a six book series works as a stand alone novel of discovery and suspense, both scientific and political. I've often wondered whether Brin already had the arc of the series in mind when he wrote this one. ( )
  nmele | Jun 16, 2017 |
I'm not sure why I didn't like this book more. The concept is great and the world felt well built up with many different characters.
I guess the main plot with the mission to the sun is not that interesting to me. I felt that this could have been a really great story if the mission was something that fascinated me more. ( )
  sofiabuh | Oct 2, 2016 |

David Brinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burns, JimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
... it is reasonable to hope that in the not too distant future we shall be competent to understand so simple a thing as a star. - A. S. Eddington, 1926
To my brothers Dan and Stan, to Arglebargle the IVth . . . and to somebody else.
"Makakai, are you ready?"
"Once a caveman, always a caveman, ejh LaRoque? Men get all the way to the sun, and they build a fire to stay warm!"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553269828, Mass Market Paperback)

No species has ever reached for the stars without the guidance of a patron--except perhaps mankind. Did some mysterious race begin the uplift of humanity aeons ago? Circling the sun, under the caverns of Mercury, Expedition Sundiver prepares for the most momentous voyage in history--a journey into the boiling inferno of the sun.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:50 -0400)

Mankind encounters conflicts among the inhabitants of the universe, as brave individuals prepare to journey into the boiling inferno of the sun.

David Brin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,844,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible