American Wolf: A True Story of Survival and…

American Wolf: A True Story of Survival and Obsession in the West

by Nate Blakeslee

2082383,680 (4.22)37

The author does an outstanding job of presenting and personalizing the many complications surrounding wildlife and land management policies in Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho. Highly recommended for anyone considering a trip to Yellowstone National Park or the surrounding area, conservationists, those studying environmental law/policy, and wolf lovers everywhere. ( )
  dele2451 | Mar 20, 2019 |
A excellent and timely book that concerns the reintegration of wolves in the Northern Rockies. It presents the case from different perspectives (including the hunter’s view and ever changing political climate). Although clearly in the camp of pro-wolf conservationists, I feel better informed, far more curious about wolves, and very eager to see the landscapes of Yellowstone. ( )
  ProfH | Jan 27, 2019 |
An engaging, well documented, and well written book on the re-introduction of wolves (from Canada) into Yellowstone National Park, and the ongoing divisiveness between wolf admirers, wolf haters, trophy hunters, states’ rights activists, livestock owners, conservationists, and politicians driven by their own agendas. The outright greed and selfishness of hunters in Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming is appalling while the stubborn refusal of all levels of government to recognize the grey wolf as an endangered species speaks to a debased American society. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Dec 21, 2018 |
I reluctantly add this book to my list of "Books I was Sure I Would Love But Ended Up Hating." And I'm stunned by this discover, because I really looked forward to reading Blakeslee's work. As I add this review to a roster of largely rave reviews, I realize I'm a lone wolf howling in the wind. One reviewer describes the book as a "slow read." That's an understatement, in my estimation. I couldn't get through the first third of the work -- and I've long been interested in wildlife, conservation, etc. To this day, my favorite vacation of all time was a late 1980s trip to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. But this book really bored me. I'm wondering if it might be a "you had to be there" kind of thing. I have no qualms with Blakeslee's writing skills. I just found the narrative -- or that portion of the book that I ended getting through -- to be quite tedious. ( )
  brianinbuffalo | Dec 1, 2018 |
This book is about the ecological, financial and political aspects of the reintroduction of wolves into YellowstonePark in 1995. Several breeding pairs were caught in Alberta and transported by air to the park. Over the next several years they thrived and their population grew into the hundreds.
The reason for the reintroduction was based on scientific evidence that the elk population, without natural predators was too big and becoming unhealthy while destroying the environment of the park.
The story is very readable because of the background information about wolves, their social structures, hunting prowess and economic value to the park system and its visitors.
The story highlights characters such as Rick McIntyre, a Park employee with a passion for spotting wolves and note keeping; Doug Smith, his supervisor and supporter; Steve Turnbull a local hunter.
The star of the book is O-Six, the alpha female of the Lamar wolves, granddaughter of the first generation of Alberta wolves and superb hunter, teacher and leader.
Well written, informative and enjoyable. ( )
  MaggieFlo | Nov 17, 2018 |
For Manny and June
The hunter left his truck at the end of the gravel road and trudged into the fresh December snow.

The story of the rise of a Yellowstone wolf, and what her life and death tell us about the struggle for the American West. --

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,115,269 books! | Top bar: Always visible