An American Marriage

by Tayari Jones

Newlyweds Celestial and Roy are the embodiment of both the American Dream and the New South. He is a young executive and she is an artist on the brink of an exciting career. But as they settle into the routine of their life together, they are ripped apart by circumstances neither could have imagined. Roy is arrested and sentenced to twelve years for a crime Celestial knows he didn't commit. Though fiercely independent, Celestial finds herself bereft and unmoored, taking comfort in Andre, her childhood friend, and best man at their wedding. As Roy's time in prison passes, she is unable to hold on to the love that has been her center. After five years, Roy's conviction is suddenly overturned, and he returns to Atlanta ready to resume their life together.… (more)

English (224)  Dutch (1)  All languages (225)
(42) Sometimes I think I am too highbrow for books about marriage, courtship, yuppies, etc, in particular if they are endorsed by Oprah or Reese Witherspoon - but I am fooling myself. I read this voraciously and enjoyed it. A young couple is a year into their marriage, still in love, black yuppies in Atlanta from HBCU graduates/families - when Roy is imprisioned for a crime he didn't commit. Not much time is spent on this part of the book - we don't get the race of the accuser or the nitty gritty of the time-line, court case. This is from the black perspective - it happens because it did and does and that's just the way it is. The real story is how Roy, Celestial, their families, and her childhood friend, Andre (who becomes Celestial's lover) try to move their lives forward.

The characters all popped off the page, even if the characterizations were a bit Hollywood. I teared up in several places, but it didn't feel gratuitous, it felt genuine. Mostly related to Olive, Roy's mother and the quiet desperation that is the state of most of our lives. I was riveted by the ending when inevitable happens - Roy comes home from prison. Of course, I won't spoil but I thought it was written with just the right amount of dramatic tension and story-telling. There is no way this won't be a movie. The only part of the novel I didn't like was the unlikely coincidence of Roy's, "biological." There were several instances of unlikely occurrences and made for TV movie moments that made this walk a little too close to the 'chick lit' line for me to give a much higher rating.

Anyway, this appears to be the type of novel I am enjoying right now. Nothing too heavy, engaging, well-written. I don't want ponderous literature and self-important non-fiction right now - this was the right book at the right time for me. Once again, shame on me for thinking I am too discerning for a good Oprah heartbreaker. ( )
  jhowell | Jul 25, 2021 |
Meh. ( )
  wagnerkim | Jul 21, 2021 |
This book is hard for me to rate. I was on the edge of my seat when Roy was arrested and the author kept me interested by alternating chapters between Roy talking, Celestial talking, and Andre talking so I gave it 3 I-liked-it stars. But lord did those characters make me mad. I hated all of them. Roy and Andre thinking women are property and Celestial allowing herself to be property. I can't deal with people like that in real life so fictitious idiots are even worse because you can't tell them they're idiots, you can only slam the book shut on them and bitch about them in your blog. But yay that the book is off my shelf and onto the book donation pile. ( )
  Jinjer | Jul 19, 2021 |
Brilliant read. I was a voyeur in the marriage of Celestial and Roy and was riveted in their drama from the first page. Perfectly executed storyline and could not have ended in a more appropriate manner. This book lives up to the hype. Thanks to Book Browse for allowing me to participate in their book club and I look forward to discussing in more detail with them. ( )
  scoene | Jul 13, 2021 |
diverse fiction, human drama (audiobook)
portrait of a marriage between a well-off Black woman and her relatively poorer entrepreneurial Black husband, through some pretty rocky times (incarceration for a rape he didn't commit being just the start).
Tayari Jones always creates these complex characters with complex stories, and this book is no exception. Well done, and an interesting book club choice, too. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |

Jones, Tayariprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Crisden, SeanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davis, EisaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Godwin, SteveDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miceli, JayaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
What happens to you doesn't belong to you,
only half concerns you. It's not yours. Not yours only.
              --- Claudia Rankine
For my mother's sister, Alma Faye,
and for Maxine & Marcia, my own
There are two kinds of people in the world, those who leave home, and those who don't.
But home isn't where you land; home is where you launch. You can't pick your home any more than you can choose your family. In poker, you get five cards. Three of them you can swap out, but two are yours to keep: family and native land.
She pulled away and walked to my bedroom and closed herself in with a little click of the knob. I could have pursued her. A paper clip could best the catch, but when a woman shuts you out, picking the lock won't let you back in.
You don't know what you need until somebody gives it to you exactly the way you need it gave.
It matters that I didn't grow up with my father. It's kind if like having one leg that's a half inch shorter than the other. You can walk, but there will be a dip.

Tayari Jones is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,456,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible