The Case of the Constant Suicides by John…

The Case of the Constant Suicides (1941)

by John Dickson Carr

Series: Doctor Gideon Fell (13)

A closed door murder surrounded by suicide. Interesting twist by using science to prove the death. ( )
  book58lover | Jan 1, 2015 |
This is a fun classic murder mystery. What I really liked about this one is that it was FUN! It was funny, light, and moved quickly. There weren't long and involved explanations of the scenery or drawn-out descriptions of the personalities... it was just a story that quickly moved from one scene to the next, creating, complicating, and then resolving the mystery.

In the book, several people have been called to a castle in Scotland for a "family meeting" to discuss the death and after-affect of a certain family member. There is a dispute about whether the man committed suicide or was murdered and the various characters are quickly drawn into the activity, the mystery, and the frivolity.

Recommended for people looking for a quick and fun classic murder mystery. ( )
  avanders | Mar 6, 2014 |
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
The case of the constant suicides by John Dickson Carr was originally published in 1941. Three deaths all look like suicides. However, some questions remain. Dr. Fell arrives to investigate. An insurance policy payout hangs in the balance as the deaths are ruled suicide or murder. I love these old 1940's detective novels. This one is one of those infamous locked room murders. Very ahead it's time , cleverly plotted, mystery with sharp dialogue and quick wit, plus a little romance. A very good classic mystery. Overall an A ( )
  gpangel | Feb 9, 2013 |
This book certainly has a lot going for it. It's a locked-room mystery of the highest order: a suicide that for financial reasons is better ruled a murder, but there does not appear to be any way someone could have got into the room to commit the crime. It has diabolically clever twists that had me yelling "Whaaat?!" at the book as they were revealed. It has two very amusing, sharp-witted young leads, whose introductory scene nearly made me laugh out loud, and other funny scenes besides (usually involving very potent Scotch). And it's set in Scotland, which is always a bonus with me.

I did find it a bit slower to get through than I would have expected, but that may have had something to do with my edition, which was shiny and modern and the size of a hardcover (but paperback in format). It was rather annoying to read from. I also thought the phonetically rendered Scottish dialect was a bit over-the-top in places, and Mr. Swan the reporter seemed much more like a stereotypical American than the Canadian he claimed to be. But overall I quite enjoyed this story and would recommend it to fans of the Golden Age of detective fiction. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Aug 7, 2011 |
Regardless of their constancy, I remember nothing of these suicides or their perpetrator(s). I believe Dr. Gideon Fell appears, but, to the best of my recollection, he does not, unfortunately, commit suicide. ( )
  jburlinson | Apr 2, 2011 |

Carr, John Dicksonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Houwer, IetTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nordberg, NilsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tuovinen, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The 9:15 train for Glasgow pulled out of Euston half an hour late that night, and forty minutes after the sirens had sounded.

Members of a large and widespread Scottish family are brought together at a highland castle in order to resolve various pieces of family business following a death. Suspicious events soon begin to occur, the body count rises, and a verdict of suicide is not necessarily to be trusted. Enter the gargantuan Doctor Gideon Fell, who applies his substantial powers of deduction to the problem of how men can be indirectly murdered while they're inside locked, sealed and inaccessible rooms.

Angus Campbell, after heavily insuring his life with a policy containing a suicide clause, deliberately threw himself from the top window of his old house in Argyllshire and committed suicide. But no one could believe this was true. Then came another suicide, and another, though by this time Dr Fell believed it was murder.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,456,757 books! | Top bar: Always visible