The Red Ribbon by Lucy Adlington

The Red Ribbon

by Lucy Adlington

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As a high school English teacher with an ever-expanding classroom library I find it difficult to find high interest historical fiction for teen readers. This is a new perspective concerning the life of concentration camp prisoners and the information provided about every day life is the type of information most students crave to understand.
I would recommend this for any classroom. ( )
  ALoyacano | Feb 9, 2019 |
"The Red Ribbon" was okay, but not great. As a protagonist, I felt Ella was rather selfish and self-serving, and too focused on her sewing considering she was in Auschwitz. However, I did admire her determination to survive. Personally, I preferred her friend, Rose, who was a gentler, more caring girl, although she also frustrated me on more than one occasion.

For me "The Red Ribbon" gave an unrealistic view of a concentration camp, although, being aimed at a younger audience, the author may have done this deliberately. This was supposed to be Auschwitz but the prisoners seemed to have more freedoms than any other book I've read about this notorious death camp. Also, the ending was too sickly-sweet and unrealistic for my liking.

However, I did like the friendships that Ella formed whilst working as a seamstress in Auschwitz and it showed the bonds that were developed between prisoners as they tried desperately to the survive the cruelties of the Nazis. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 11, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed this book! I received it free to preview.
Fourteen-year-old, Jewish teen, Ella is taken to the Aushwitz concentration camp. She lies about her age to gain employment in the shop that makes couture fashion wear for the wives of the camp's Nazi officers and female SS officers. There she joins 20 other emaniciated women prisoners who sew to stay alive and will anything to keep their spot at the shop. Ella befriends Rose, a political prisoner, who also works at the sewing shop. Their life is full of pain, desperation, and distrust; but their joined courage and hope keeps each other strong.
Although I've read several books about the WW2 concentration camp experiences, I learned new ways in which the prisoners were harassed and degraded. I never knew about the black market storage shed that contained confiscated prisoner articles or the fact that prisoners were given clothing and shoes whether they fit or matched. I was not surprised by the extent that the desire to stay alive will force the actions of desperate people, and the love and humbleness of others.
As a retired K-12 Teacher Librarian, I think this book would make a suitable addition to the middle school to high school library. It is appealing to the inquisitive reader, but not '"too difficult" for the reluctant reader. The book is a 'gentler' introduction to WW2 prisoner experiences. ( )
  KS_Library | Sep 30, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a young adult book about a young girl who is taken to Auschwitz, and works in the Upper Tailoring Studio, a sewing shop set up by the Commandant's wife. It was very interesting, especially the aspect of the Upper Tailoring Studio, which I have never seen in any other book set in WWII. One thing that I noticed was that this book is probably the least horrific of any book I've come across that focuses on the Holocaust and takes place in a concentration camp. This is not necessarily a bad thing, because it could open up the subject to readers who stay away from books that are more upsetting. The characters are much more hopeful than other books that have a similar story, but it still touches on the horrors of Auschwitz. It is definitely more appropriate for younger readers, but an older reader could also find this book a good addition to their World War II reading. ( )
  upinthestacks | Sep 9, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
When I started reading this book, I was really bothered by the light, almost flippant, very modern/teenager tone to the narrator's voice. I spent too much time wondering if I was attributing levity to the time period that wouldn't have been applicable, or if the author just didn't understand how to write for an earlier era. As I worked my way into the story, the tone still bothered me, but I started to recognize that it was a deliberate narrative choice the author made in order to give more weight to the way the protagonist changes and matures over the course of the story. In the end, the light beginning made the dark ending stronger.

That said, this is definitely written for young readers. The depth of character and voice is not what you would find in a Holocaust novel intended for older audiences (even older teens). I do appreciate the author's ability to present this impossibly sad and horrifying period of history in a way that illustrates the reality but doesn't leave the reader dwelling in darkness. ( )
  MizPurplest | Aug 23, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Lucy Adlington's book The Red Ribbon is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,161,296 books! | Top bar: Always visible