The Weapon Shops of Isher by A. E. Van Vogt

The Weapon Shops of Isher (1951)

by A. E. Van Vogt

Series: Empire of Isher (2)

Recently added bygoogoomuck, Rogcess, CindyBooks, Dvdvnr, penumbren, DavidClemens, private library, cosmicnimrod

English (8)  French (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (11)
A great deal of fun. the people with the weapons are not the kind of gun owners we seem to find in American right wing politics, but quite civilized people intent on helping all to a happier life. I wish it had worked out so well as van Vogt visualized it. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Feb 10, 2019 |
This is one of Van Vogt's better books. I enjoyed this one. Amazing imagination. It has story structure flaws but I didn't let it ruin the experience.

I will read the second book in the series, "The Weapon Makers". ( )
  ikeman100 | Apr 6, 2018 |
Same book different year. ( )
  Lyndatrue | Dec 13, 2013 |
If you don't already have strong libertarian leanings, this may not be the book for you. While my own politics are all over the place, reading this (in my very distant youth) was a revelation. It's my favorite van Vogt work (it must be, since I own two copies), and it's a fun read.

From the back cover:

"Imagine an empire of the far future, dictatorial, proud, all-conquering, whose citizens could defy it at will by merely entering a store and buying a gun! The guns would be super-weapons that the Empire couldn't duplicate or defeat--and the stores would be impregnable fortresses open to everyone except soldiers and policemen!" ( )
  Lyndatrue | Dec 13, 2013 |
Not really working for me, I fear. At 170 pages in I'm close to the end and am unlikely to finish. More machines that measure people's moral qualities, which given van Vogt's association with Hubbard, is no shocker... ( )
  ben_a | Aug 8, 2011 |

A. E. Van Vogtprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barton, HarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Daly, GerryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Monteagle, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schoenherr, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There was a curious quality about the gunshop door.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,462,593 books! | Top bar: Always visible