Story of O (1954)

by Pauline Réage (Pseudonym), Anne Desclos (Author)

Series: The Story of O (1)

Erotic Literature. Fiction. Literature. Romance. HTML:The notorious novel of dark obsession

How far will a woman go to express her love? In this exquisite novel of passion and desire, the answer emerges through a daring exploration of the deepest bonds of sensual domination. ??O? is a beautiful Parisian fashion photographer, determined to understand and prove her consuming devotion to her lover, René, through complete submission to his every whim, his every desire.

It is a journey of forbidden, dangerous choices that sweeps her through the secret gardens of the sexual underground. From the inner sanctum of a private club where willing women are schooled in the art of subjugation to the excruciating embraces of René??s friend Sir Stephen, O tests the outermost limits of pleasure. For as O discovers, true freedom lies in her pure and complete willingness to do anyth
… (more)
    The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty by A. N. Roquelaure (moonstormer)
    Carrie's Story by Molly Weatherfield (psybre)
    psybre: A literate novel of contemporary S/M, above- or on-par with "O"
    Justine and the Story of O by Guido Crepax (miniwark)
    The Marketplace by Laura Antoniou (noise)
    Op de huid geschreven (The skin book) by C.S. Vanek (BookaRow)
    Leash by Jane DeLynn (susanbooks)
    susanbooks: A smart, postmodern, lesbian version of O
    The Ties That Bind by Vanessa Duriès (miniwark)
    My Favorite Person: A Non-Fiction Romance by Charles Stampul (Anonymous user)
    Amber: Priceless Gemstones by John Kostly (Kostly)
    Kostly: The story of O features O, a natural submissive woman in todays society. Amber is very similiar to O, however Amber is much more like a little, where as O was more like a slave. Both are very good.
    Forbidden Desire by Emmanuelle de Maupassant (Inspiredbywords)

English (73)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (81)
Story: 5.5 / 10
Characters: 7
Setting: 8.5
Prose: 7.5 ( )
  MXMLLN | Jan 12, 2024 |
This book is not about sex, although there is plenty of it, and mostly of a completely unerotic nature. Rather, it about the complete and voluntary handing over of a beautiful woman's will to others. That she also hands over her body is important, but also incidental. The book's spare prose and haunting atmosphere, so French, are beautiful. ( )
  ponsonby | Nov 3, 2023 |
The buzz around the 50 Shades phenomena still hasn't subsided. There's now a magazine dedicated to the series and a new book due out in December. I didn't really want to read another book from this series but I thought I'd delve into the genre again and decided to read The Story of O. This book shows how S&M is definitely not something new. The book is over 50 years old and in my opinion is far superior to 50 Shades of Grey, which at times read like a silly soap opera. I'll never fully understand why women will willingly submit themselves to such debasement but The Story of O does gets much more into the psyche of the character than 50 Shades, so I do have a somewhat better idea of how and why this alternate lifestyle continues to persist. ( )
  kevinkevbo | Jul 14, 2023 |
Awfully sad and bleak story about a woman whose only desire is to be enslaved. Not your typical BDSM story, I think. All O wants is to have a man love her, even if that love means whipping, branding and sharing her with his 20 closest friends. In the beginning I felt bad for her, but wondered how she could be so vacuous and accepting of what her lover did to her. I also was amazed at her sexual stamina, as she was interested in both men and women, even after being taken repeatedly, she was still able to get aroused for the next man.
I can see why women wanted this banned and called it the objectification of their fair sex. I felt repulsed at O's lack of action, as she just PUT UP WITH everything that the men wanted her to do. All she wanted was to be loved, and once she knew that, everything was fine for her.

As I finished the story, all I could think of was "What a relief", as I can get back to characters with self respect, and gumption.
  kwskultety | Jul 4, 2023 |
The thing that I learned from this book is how to get into the mind of people who love so much that it destroys them, that do anything their lover asks without questioning if their love is returned and to what extent one might go to prove their loyalty. It all ends badly and it is an example to be avoided. Also I got a glimpse of how eroticas were written last century and how french literature affects the text. Can't say I liked this book but I also don't regret reading it. That's why I'll give it three stars out of five. ( )
  Ihaveapassion | Oct 25, 2022 |

Morriën, AdriaanTranslator & Afterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paulhan, JeanPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pieyre de Mandiargues, AndréIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seaver, RichardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Keep me rather in this cage, and feed me sparingly, if you dare. Anything that brings me closer to illness and the edge of death makes me more faithful. It is only when you make me suffer that I feel safe and secure. You should never have agreed to be a god for me if you were afraid to assume the duties of a god, and we know that they are not as tender as all that. You have already seen me cry. Now you must learn to relish my tears.
Her lover one day takes O for a walk, but this time in a part of the city—the Parc Montsouris, the Parc Monceau—where they've never been together before.
Her lover one day takes O for a walk in a section of the city where they never go—the Montsouris Park, the Monceau Park.

--1992 edition
The Illustrated Story of O is not the same "work" as the novel. It is a series of photographs illustrating the book, and only contains excerpts of text. The Story of O by Guido Crepax is a "graphic novel" adaptation and should not be combined with the original book.

The classic erotic novel, THE STORY OF O relates the love of a beautiful Parisian fashion photographer for Rene. As part of that intense love, she demands debasement and severe sexual and pychological tests. It is a unique work not to be missed.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,029,978 books! | Top bar: Always visible