Ten Apples Up On Top! (1961)

by Theo LeSieg

Other authors: Roy McKie (Illustrator)

A lion, a dog, and a tiger balance apples on their heads.
    Put Me in the Zoo by Robert Lopshire (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Another action packed classic.

Three animal friends . . . a lion, a tiger, and a dog . . . practice balancing apples on their heads. Soon it is a contest to see how many apples they can balance on top of their heads.

What will happen if the apples drop? And how many apples can each of them put up on top?

=========

The target audience for this introduction to counting book is the beginning reader, ages two through five, preschool through second grade. Count on hilarity as the characters balance more and more apples on their heads while unexpected things happen.

As with all Dr. Seuss books, there is an element of absurdity that early readers will enjoy. The illustrations are bright and colorful, encouraging the child to interact with the story.

Beginner Book uses familiar words, repetition, and picture clues to help beginning readers achieve success. Told in rhyme, this easy-to-read story will help beginning readers develop skills that lead to independent reading.

Highly recommended. ( )
  jfe16 | Mar 28, 2022 |
Title: Ten Apples Up On Top
- Author: Dr. Suess
- Illustrator: Roy McKie
- Publisher: Random House, Inc.
- Date: 1961 (year published)
- Pages: 66
- Type of Book/Genre: Picture book, fiction
- Short Summary of the Plot: This book is centered around characters balancing apples on their heads in a competitive fashion, and while balancing on their heads they are doing stunts (such as: hoping on a tree, skating, drink, etc.). Then they are getting chased out of town by other characters, who do not want them to balance apples on their heads. However, they all come crashing down along with an apple cart spilling out more apples. Then all the characters are happy balancing apples on top of their heads.
- Tags/Subject Headings that Describe the Content: Counting and friendship.
- My response: I think this a cute book that can help kids with their counting.
  MayaBust | Feb 21, 2022 |
This didn't go at all where I thought it would. Twice. For a book like this, that's a very good thing. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
Used in Storytime 1/5/17. The Letter A.
Used in Storytime 11/2/17 ( )
  klnbennett | Oct 7, 2020 |
I loved this book as a kid! My parents bought it for me so I could learn to count in english when I was little. ( )
  jocelynelise_ | Aug 10, 2020 |

LeSieg, Theoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McKie, RoyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
One apple up on top!
"You can do three,
but I can do more.
You have three,
but I have four." (4)

A lion, a dog, and a tiger balance apples on their heads.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,104,910 books! | Top bar: Always visible