Catherine, Called Birdy (1994)

by Karen Cushman

The thirteen-year-old daughter of an English country knight keeps a journal in which she records the events of her life, particularly her longing for adventures beyond the usual role of women and her efforts to avoid being married off.

English (77)  Catalan (1)  All languages (78)
You must meet Catherine, also known as "Birdy." She is willful and perhaps more aptly described as rebellious. You will be rooting for her as she tries to defy what is expected of her as a "lady" in the Middle Ages. She is, in fact, a child who the family is trying to marry off to someone with wealth and status, as means of helping her family. Catherine will do nothing to make this easy for her father. She holds nothing back when it comes to sharing her thoughts on what is expected of her as female during this time period. She longs to be outdoors and to do anything other than weave, embroider, and to be proper! The way in which Catherine tells us her story, through daily diary entries, adds to our feeling of being a friend she is confessing her inner thoughts to.
  vashonpatty | Jul 22, 2022 |
I was expecting excellent historical fiction based in the middle ages. I was expecting a "spirited" young woman protagonist. I wasn't expecting this book to be hilarious -- laugh out loud funny. Catherine has a very pragmatic personality, which leads her into all sorts of hijinks. She's a hellion, with an appreciation for fart jokes and a stubborn streak that will not bow nor quit for any reason. Marvelous. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
Thank you Mallory! ( )
  gingerhat | Mar 1, 2022 |
Catherine is a free-spirited knight's daughter in thirteenth century England. At the request of her older brother she keeps a journal for a year, and so the reader gets a view of life during the Middle Ages.

I enjoyed this work, and how the author developed Catherine from a petulant child into a more mature maiden, but still "Birdy". ( )
  fuzzi | Feb 26, 2022 |
I love Karen Cushman's books and this was very good. However, it was a bit much on the details for me. I liked the other books better. The heroine in the story has quite an attitude so students reading this who emulate characters in stories may also show some attitude (one of my students did this), so teachers and parents be advised if your child takes stories to heart.

True to history, true to human character, interesting, valid, and amazing. ( )
  WiseOwlFactory | Feb 20, 2022 |

Karen Cushmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hyman, Trina S.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leister, BryanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maberly, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Leah, Danielle, Megan, Molly, Pamela, and Tama, and to the imagination, hope and tenacity of all young women.
I am commanded to write an account of my days: I am bit by fleas and plagued by family.

An English knight's daughter growing up in the Middle Ages keeps a diary as she struggles against her father's plans to marry her off to some wealthy boor.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,294,736 books! | Top bar: Always visible