Light a Penny Candle (1982)

by Maeve Binchy

The chaotic events of World War II force Elizabeth White, a young English girl, to escape to Ireland, where she shares a friendship with Aisling O'Connor, with whom she endures years of change, joy, sorrow, betrayals, and an unbreakable bond.

English (20)  Portuguese (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (23)
So interesting to re-read this again after reading her more recent books. It has a more formal tone to it than the most recent ones, it's actually a pretty grim story, and most of the guys are schmucks. Still a page-turner though! ( )
  emrsalgado | Jul 23, 2021 |
Moving story of how a friendship can endure through many challenges and how strong Catholic beliefs influenced life in the 1940's. ( )
  kshydog | Dec 13, 2020 |
I wanted some 'light' reading to balance some of the heavier books I've been reading. I *thought* this book would have some 'sensus catholicus' about it. Nope, not at all. If this is what the rest of her books are like, mindless dumb-downed Catholicism (follow the rules because, I don't know, you're supposed to follow the rules), I don't think I'll bother. Oh well... ( )
  CatQuilt | Sep 5, 2019 |
This was the first book of hers I ever read and I recently reread it. Not as good as the Glass Lake but still a good book. ( )
  songbird72 | Feb 25, 2018 |

Veraldi, AttilioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wulfekamp, UrsulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
WVK-groepTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dem geliebten Gordon mit großer Zuneigung gewidmet
Im Saal des Coroners herrschte eine sehr nüchterne und sachliche Atmosphäre.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,279,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible