Something Borrowed (2004)

by Emily Giffin

Series: Adventures of Darcy (1)

5,3191811,645 (3.71)78
After a night of indiscriminate partying, Rachel sleeps with a close friend's fiancé and is consumed with guilt, until the intensity of her feelings forces her to make a difficult choice.

English (180)  Spanish (1)  All languages (181)
I discovered Emily Giffin with her latest book, Love the One You're With, which my husband bought me as a gift. I felt Love the One You're With was realistic up until the ending which fell flat and left me disappointed as a reader.

Not so with Something Borrowed. Giffin's first book chronicles the saga of thirty year old Rachel, best friend and maid of honor to Darcy, who is engaged to Dex, Rachel's one night Incident turned lover.

Most love triangles are complicated and have been explored countless times in literature. Giffin's book is unique since it not only is told from the mistress's point of view, but the mistress is portrayed as a likable young woman and her morale dilemma encompasses more than just love, but her self-respect and worth as a human being.

The ending was satisfying.

I enjoyed Something Borrowed and would recommend it to everyone who has either been in a love triangle or had a conflicted friendship. ( )
  AngelaLam | Feb 8, 2022 |
Nothing shockingly awesome, but a good, fun, quick read. A nice break after some heavier books! ( )
  KaffinatedWitch | Oct 15, 2021 |
Relationship of the 2 girls follows with Rachel doing everything that Darcy wants. She falls for fiancé Dex but constantly questions if it is real. ( )
  kshydog | Dec 13, 2020 |
Rachel White has a big problem! She realizes she's in love with Dex, the fiance of her best friend Darcy. Bigger problem, he loves her back. Now what? This is the heart of the story in Something Borrowed. I saw the movie, but, as usual the book was better. ( )
  Colleen5096 | Oct 29, 2020 |
It has been years since I have read this, so I can give few details as to why I rated it only two stars years ago. Largely, I was forced to read it: I had brought this book on a day trip that stranded me overnight, so I had no alternative. Otherwise, I would have never finished it.

I didn’t find the writing particularly colourful or engaging. I hated the characters; I mostly wanted to punch them and didn’t feel them redeemed in the end. I was bored.

The one thing I did appreciate was that Rachel mourned the loss of Darcy, even though their relationship was unhealthy, and even though she was ultimately getting a better relationship in the end. Usually, I don’t think books (or other fiction media) demonstrate how we mourn the loss of friendships, particularly female friendships. Sure, heartache over a boyfriend or a family member... but a friend can be more wounding. Heck, even in other heartaches, I miss the friend in the boy, not the boy (and sometimes the heartache comes from me realizing the friend left first and I had nothing but an empty boy). The loss of their friendship, even if needed, was still a loss. ( )
  OptimisticCautiously | Sep 16, 2020 |

Emily Giffinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wiltsie, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother, with love
I was in the fifth grade the first time I thought about turning thirty.
Songs and smells will bring you back to a moment in time more than anything else. It's amazing how much can be conjured with a few notes of a song or a solitary whiff of a room. A song you didn't even pay attention to at the time, a place you didn't even know had a particular smell . . . It's like when someone dies, the initial stages of grief seem to be the worst. But in some ways, it gets sadder as time goes by and you consider how much they've missed in your life. In the world.

An unexpected love affair threatens a long-lived friendship in this soap opera–like debut from Atlanta ex-lawyer Giffin. Since elementary school, Rachel and Darcy have been best friends, with Darcy always outshining Rachel. While single Rachel is the self-confessed good girl, an attorney trapped at a suffocating New York law firm, Darcy is the complete opposite, a stereotypical outgoing publicist, planning a wedding with the handsome Dex. After Rachel's 30th birthday party, she knocks back one drink too many and winds up in bed with Dex. Instead of feeling guilty about sleeping with her best friend's fiancé, Rachel realizes that Dex is the only man she's really loved, and that she's always resented manipulative Darcy. Rachel and Dex spend a few weekends in the city together "working" while Darcy's off with friends at a Hamptons beach share, but finally Rachel realizes she'll have to give Dex an ultimatum. The flip job Giffin pulls off—here it's the cheaters who're sympathetic (more or less)—gives Dex and Rachel's otherwise ordinary affair extra edge. Rachel would be a more appealing heroine if she were less whiny about her job and her romantic prospects, and rambling dialogue slows the story's pace, but this is an enjoyable beach read—one that'll make readers cast a suspicious eye on best friends and boyfriends who seem to get along just a little too well.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,748,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible