Hope Never Dies: An Obama Biden Mystery…

Hope Never Dies: An Obama Biden Mystery (Obama Biden Mysteries) (2018)

by Andrew Shaffer

Series: Obama Biden mysteries (book 1)

Sherlock and Holmes, Starsky and Hutch, and now Obama and Biden. Haven't seen such an amusing depiction of Joe Biden since his appearances on Parks and Rec. ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Feb 8, 2019 |
Opening with Biden catching an internet video of Obama parasailing in Cape Town’s harbor, and being upset at their lack of communication over the years since their bromance was YouTube viral. A nighttime glow outside his home beckons his investigation. Out in his backyard woods, secret service standing by, Barack bears news of an Amtrak conductor’s death. A man Joe knew well. In his work office was a map with Joe’s home location marked out. No longer a VIP to the government, Joe is left with a burned out motion detector bulb and no other security than his dog and cache of firearms.

Barack’s concern for his old buddy sets them off to solve the how & why of the conductor’s death. Secret Service Steve along for the begrudged ride. Insurance PI’s, DEA, biker gangs, and disgruntled cops add to the cast as masks fall to reveal who’s what and why.

As Norman Lock writes Emily Dickinson saying in “The Wreckage of Eden” “It is one of those books you cannot put down for fear the story will go on without you.” So, on a hot, muggy & eventually rainy day, I did not put it down (except to eat, of course) and winced, LOL’d, and cheered on this team of justice seekers as they solve one mystery after another, dents, concussions, cigarettes and all.

With snarky barbs at the current occupancy of the White House and related affairs, it made it even more hilarious. (The bike chase Bernie line still has me chuckling.)

I sure hope there is more to come.

*Note to Jeremy Enecio, who designed that awesome cover.. they were driving a Dodge Challenger, not a Pontiac Trans Am. Just saying. ( )
1 vote CherylGrimm | Feb 6, 2019 |
This was a Christmas gift from my son who knew exactly what to give me this year. Just read it this week and it was pure fun. ( )
  jennyo | Feb 3, 2019 |
From the interview with the author, Andrew Shaffer. "The first time I saw Joe Biden in his Ray-Ban aviators, I thought, "that guy’s an action hero." The sunglasses, the suit, the dead-serious stare—you think you’re looking at James Bond. And then he opens his mouth and sticks his foot in it, and you realize he’s closer to Leslie Nielsen."

Andrew Shaffer takes us back to the time of nostalgia... a time of bipartisanship and civility in our public discourse although in a roundabout way. Shaffer has written a story packed with thrills and spills. In "Hope Never Dies" we see America’s favorite Uncle, Joe Biden...and his best friend, Barack Obama... team up to solve the mysterious death of an Amtrak conductor. I know that people are going to have many differing opinions on this book solely because of the characters...but it's a fun read....a cozy mystery with a political bent. ( )
1 vote Carol420 | Jan 27, 2019 |
A would-be hard-boiled detective novel with former President Obama and former VP Joe Biden as the protagonists. [[Andrew Shaffer]] has created a farcical bromance between the former colleagues, who set out to investigate the death of an Amtrak conductor. The author plays fair with the reader in terms of clues, but in the end the novel is less about the mystery and more about the halting but real friendship between these two men.

Joe Biden is sketched as a regular guy who feels ignored by his more famous partner, while Barack Obama comes across as effortlessly cool. The protagonists are the classic odd couple, with the rumpled Biden doing the footwork and the elegant Obama providing guidance.

For people who have never fully accepted Obama's retirement, this book is a hoot. For everyone else, it's a middling detective novel that's not in need of a sequel. ( )
  barlow304 | Jan 23, 2019 |

It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness. --W. L. Watkinson
For Uncle Joe

[Acknowledgements
Thanks Obama]
The night this all started, I was in a black Irish mood.

"Vice President Joe Biden is fresh out of the Obama White House and feeling adrift when his favorite railroad conductor dies in a suspicious accident, leaving behind an ailing wife and a trail of clues. To unravel the mystery, 'Uncle Joe' re-teams with the only man he's ever fully trusted: the 44th president of the United States. Together they'll plumb the darkest corners of Delaware, traveling from cheap motels to biker bars and beyond, as they uncover the sinister forces advancing America's opioid epidemic"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,399,030 books! | Top bar: Always visible